The correct pressure for pressing a block is........

Discussion in 'Blending' started by Baccyman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Just finished re reading an old tobacco book from 1859 by Fairholt. He explains the pressing procedure for making pipe tobacco. In the particular example he cited he says: " take a box, 14 x 14 by 2 inches tall. Fill the box 6 inches high with tobacco and press down to 2 inches". He does not state how long to press though. So, it appears the lesson to take home here is to compress your tobacco to 1/3 rd its original size

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I guess you would need enough pressure for it to maintain that 1/3 height measurement after you remove the pressure.

...ok, that wasn't very helpful, was it?

3. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Actually that makes sense to me. Seems like one would need enough pressure to get the tobacco to 1/3 its height and that pressure would have to be left on long enough that it maintained that measurement after the weight/pressure is removed -- pressure and time. (Just how much of each is unknown without experiment.)

4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

The number that I've seen tossed around is in the neighborhood of 50lbs. This is dependent on a number of factors (see the link below), including leverage. As Coastal Blend and Tony Malerich said though...it's going to be a matter of trial and error, depending on how you're applying said pressure.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco

LaphroaignSlip likes this.
  5. ted

ted Member

I use the front right tire of an F-150.
    2 8x8 Oak boards with 4 bolts to hold them in place.... then drive up on the board.
    In a few hours you'll have "cake". Cornell and Deal uses 10,000 psi to make their "cake". Ford don't weigh that much, but works for me...
    Maybe a Toyota would work! My way though. ted

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ted.... You're awesome.

ted likes this.
  7. bosun

bosun Active Member

If I ever grow my own and want to make a cake, I would make a frame, line it with thick plastic wrap, put the leaves in. fold the plastic over the tobacco, another board on top to fit inside the frame, then set a piece of I-beam (about a hundred pounds) on top of it. Couple of days should do the job.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think the MacBaren site talks about pressure amounts and times etc ... I watched some vids about it a while back and I'm thinking it was their website

9. ted

ted Member

Maybe a little terse with my answer...
    I grow Burley.... several thousand pounds..... and..
    Whenever I want a "cake" of Burley, I take the stems and veins out of the Burley leaves, mix in a little honey (as a binder) , and press it between 2- 8x8x1 oak boards with bolts and wing nuts at each corner. After about 2 hours I park the truck on the boards..(wing nuts down)... in about 3 hours I have flake. Heaviest thing I own.... ted

10. Albert

Albert Active Member

Me want some Ted-Flake :drly:

ryan65 and ted like this.
  11. ted

ted Member

Remind me in April... Still have some in NC... ted

MikeInMaine and Albert like this.
  12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

13. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

That harbourfreight press is similar to the one I use but mine is just six ton. That is more than enough though and in fact my biggest problem is getting the right pressure as all my plugs seem to be just too pressed. I'm planning on maybe doing a Lat oriented plug in the next week or so and am running through all kinds of ideas through my mind as to the ingredients but one thing is sure, I really need to loosen up on the pressure a little. By the way, on the topic of what to use to press plugs, a friend of mine in Germany has great success simply using an Ackro braced between the girder in his cellar and the plug which is boxed in a small mould and placed under the ackro, it works fine.

14. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

There has been a lot of talk lately about pressing tobaccos and homemade presses. Decided to test to see how easy or difficult it is to do this by using a clamp and an empty tin. Will know better later this week when I smoke the results, but it definitely had uneven pressure with my frankenstein set up; which is not good. This wasn't unexpected, and if it turned out well I'll be looking for a simple press made of steel for future endeavors.

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

There are numerous threads about tobacco pressing around here, one of you search masters step up here, would you?

0REG0NPiper likes this.