1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Emperor's Bulldog

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by YOJiMBO20, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

So a few weeks back I picked up a straight billiard and a straight bulldog from an antique shop for $14 and $15. The billy was a no name, but on the bully I can almost read EMP (a sterling band had been retrofitted to the shank), but everything else shows it's an Emperor. They were both pretty nasty.

I cleaned and gave the billy to a friend who had no pipe because he gave his to a friend, but I wanted the bully for myself. I started cleaning it up today with some salt and everclear, but got some on the finish, so I decided to strip the whole thing (dunked it in a plastic shot glass of everclear for about 45 minutes - also helped to dislodge stubborn nastiness from the chamber and mortise). Am I glad I did that. This pipe is sexy now! Flame grain on both flanks, sharp corners. Just need to mud a bit on the bottom of the chamber (or smoke a bit in it), but this thing is great.

I present to you, the Emperor's Bulldog.

[​IMG]

Scottly likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My kind of pipe man ! Fire her up ! :)

3. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Gotta wait for her to dry out a bit. She was drinking a lot of everclear today. I don't wanna feel like I'm taking advantage, you know?

Beale and telltime like this.
  4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Nice looking Pipe! I am proud of you for not taking advantage of a drunk Dawg! ;) Beale.

5. Ravenwhyte

Ravenwhyte Member

Cool story and the pipe looks good. One of my biggest PAD surprises has been my bulldog, I love it. Super honest smoker. Was also interesting to me to hear about your everclear experience, I've heard it takes the finish off, but hadn't thought about using on the whole pipe.

6. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

One reason I decided to do the everclear on the whole thing is that I've been wanting an unstained pipe since I got an unstained BST for my buddy for his birthday. I decided to make an unstained one for myself. It's kinda cool seeing how the briar itself has darkened a bit.

7. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Got it mudded up. Gonna give her her maiden smoke tonight.

Thinking FMOTT. It's my favourite toby that I've tried and also where I got the ash to make the pipe mud. Either that or my B&M Burley English to try to get it caked a bit quicker. Not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.