The End Of The Tin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Having killed off my first tin of 1792 yesterday, I had a few thoughts to pass along.

1. The difference between floral and non-floral is exactly 5.297 openings of the tin.

2. Every time I got about halfway through a bowl, I'd think "This reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it." It finally hit me what it was: Gauloise. Gauloise was made from cigar butts found in the gutters of Marseilles, I'm pretty sure, and was consequently excellent. Perhaps Gawith bought out Gauloise's remaining stock when they went under? Notice how Gauloise and Gawith start with the same letter? Coincidence? Hmmmm.

3. I tend to do occasional little half-inhalations of all the tobaccos I smoke, except 1792. Simply looking at the tin gets me more nicotine than a bowlful of, say, Samovar.

4. As soon as you smoke 1792, you're done with other tobaccos for the rest of the day because you won't be able to taste them. Maltese Falcon becomes Carlton Super Mega Ultra Light With Added Air.

5. 1792 is the ne plus ultra of break-in tobaccos. It's filthy, tarry, godawful stuff that will cake your pipe in no time, and it won't burn too hot nor bite no matter what you do. The flavor stays consistently and delightfully bad from the top to the bottom of the bowl, so no bottom-of-the-pipe blues.

I have a pound on the way and will quietly gnaw the carpet in desperation until it arrives. Now, where can I get a boxcar-load?

2. Legend

Legend Member

I am the same way with this stuff! I at times loathe it, but deep down know that I will always have a tin of it in my "cellar". 1792 is like that chubby girl in school that you didn't want your friends to know about, but you couldn't stop thinking about when you'd get her alone again! Long live SG 1792!

3. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

I'm going to have to try this at some point. I think I'll make sure I'm 3 sheets before I do, though.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Fun review. I don't think I want to smoke it, but I enjoyed the read.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You should always keep a tin of 1792 right next to your tin of FVF......it's what us Leather Tongues do.... :groucho:

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I loved the review - so much so I nearly spat my pipe out laughing!

I know I'm going to love this tobacco - loved Gauloise in my day when they were the height of sophistication in backwoods Central Scotland!

Thanks a lot!

Gerry

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

me too! :roflmao:

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

WHERE DID YOU GET A POUND

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Here.

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Comparing 1792 to Gauloise is probably closer to the truth than many would care to admit. It really packs a punch. Gauloise cigarettes sure did. While not exactly my speed, your take on 1792 mirrored my experience, Mr Lowry. Thanks for the fun read!

Great now I'll probably be wanting a pack of Gitanes.

11. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

thankyamuch

12. grga

grga Member

Huh!
    I think I'll stick with SQL after this review.
    :groucho:

13. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Hell, Ive got a full tin in a mason jar somewhere that i only smoked once and really couldnt tell what I thought.

I remember it was a huge nic fix but the flavor was ... weird to say the least. Will have to reopen that mason jar and revisit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.