The "ghost" gave me an idea

Discussion in 'Blending' started by 5H4N3, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Yesterday, I started the day with a bowl of Dunhill London mixture.
    As I have stated before on this forum, I find the Latakia a bit overwhelming and in your face, as it were, but I still like it in small doses.
    Later in the day, I decided to have a bowl of Carter Hall (one of my favorites), in the same pipe.
    There was just a little something left over from the previous smoke. A mild smokey goodness in the background, that was VERY pleasant and good. Almost like a hickory flavor.
    I loved it!
    Now I am wondering about adding just a touch of Lat to some CH, to duplicate the experience.
    What I don't want to do is overpower the CH.

Has anyone ever experimented with this unholy alliance? How did it turn out?
    what kind of ratio did you use?

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

I've added latakia to burley blends before and a little goes a long way. Start with 2-5% and go from there

3. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I'm glad you said that!
    I was thinking like 90/10. I would have WAAAAY overdone it! I just want a little slap, not a punch in the nose LOL.

4. Johnny

Johnny Member

My first try was PA 50/50 with Latakia. It was like smoking paint :bangin:
    Storm Front is pretty good with about 10% Latakia but I'm thinking the cigar leaf helps a lot.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I had some Larry's Blend, that I believe is a Latakia, and also found it a bit strong tasting. Instead of not smoking it I mixed it with some Prince Albert and now enjoy the blend.

6. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Well, as a starting point, I decided to just mix the London mixture with CH, since I didn't have any pure Latakia to work with.
    I knew, I would be getting more added flavor than just Lat, but like I said this is just a starting point.
    I mixed 3/4 CH with 1/4 DLM and fired it up.
    The result is very interesting. The Lat was much more subdued, as you would expect, but also, both tobaccos were transformed.
    What I mean is, I don't taste CH anymore, and I don't taste DLM either. Together they make something entirely different.
    To be honest, it has a little bit of a cigar flavor, especially past mid bowl.
    Not bad. I'm certainly not ready to mix up all my CH into this, but I might try it again sometime.
    What I really need is some pure Lat to play with, so I can retain the CH flavor, but add a little smokey to it.
    Guess I'll have to visit the B&M again. :D

7. Johnny

Johnny Member

For best results let the tobaccos marry in a jar for as long as you can

8. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Yea, I know, but I'm not a very patient person.

9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've tried this and enjoyed it very much. Yes, only 2-5% Lat. Just make sure you mix it very well. I pressed mine for a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.