1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Hobby Continues... :) (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WAMPipe13, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Hey PSF thought I would post some more of my adventures down Restoration Lane. :haha: Ok Not really all that funny. Anyway Here is a link to the beginning of the story.
    https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/estate-pipe-fire-sale-find-the-hobby-begins.19164/

I am continuing on a new thread because I have gotten a little better and figured I would be a bit more efficient with my photos. Still there will be lots of pics. This is still for sure a learning process for me, I am open to any suggestions or constructive criticism. :old: I have been getting tips from lots of members and other threads. Namely Raff and Mike, and a few of Spillproof's threads too. :) My wife is still cool with the hobby even after a few months, this is a very good sign.

Ok on to the Pics of my latest batch and the beginning of the next, my order is a little off, but I figured you guys wont really care. The numbering is more for my documentation.
    Here is pipe 8 and 11
    #8 is a Darby with some thick carving on it. There is a D on the stem very faint and the "y" is almost worn off of the branding.
    #11 has no markings except for Imported Briar on the shank. It has a flat bottom, but that seems to have been made at an ever so slightly off from flat 90 degrees. It adds character. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Darby completed, it was in pretty good shape, looks like it will be an awesome smoker, the draft hole is dead center and right at the bottom of the heel. I also checked the size of the draft hole per some threads and Raff 3/16 is a good size. My 3/16 bit slides in the draft hole with no snags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is the No Name #11 which I now call my Blueberry Tank. This one I decided to try an experiment on. So after the initial clean up, I soaked the whole pipe in Vodka, :chug: some for me too, to strip it down, used a fine 0000 steel wool over the whole thing inside and out down to bare wood. Cleaned up nice and smooth. Here is where the blueberries come in :startl:. So my wife made blueberry pancakes and the juice got on the cutting board and stained it... Hmm I think why not. So I stuck the pipe in some blueberry drippings to get a nice coating of it on there. Waited for it to dry and then a thin coating of olive oil, wipe of excess. It is hard to tell from the pic but there is a very very slight purple to the pipe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will keep on posting more pics on this thread. :bing:

2. Iain

Iain Active Member

Those are two sweet pipes, they polished up well, particularly the rims looking at how grunged up they were.

3. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Yeah they actually weren't to bad considering the others I have cleaned up. I was actually surprised that the tank had a curved rim, looked flat before the restore.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Lovin' that tank!

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Those both turned out nice! :th1:

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  6. Cody Decoteau

Cody Decoteau Member

That looks really well done. Good job. That must be a very thick pipe for carvings that deep.

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I too love that tank, came out really nice. Looking forward to seeing the others!

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  8. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Thanks Cody, it does have decent thickness for walls (bit more than 1/4inch), but the carvings are not as deep as they look either.
    Thanks Guys! I really like how the tank came out too. I wish the subtle purple came out in the pics a bit more.

Cody Decoteau likes this.
  9. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Both pipes look great. Keep posting pics! I never remember to get 'before' photos.
    Good idea with the blueberry juice, that's how discoveries are made. I wonder if the tint will stick.

10. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

So far the tint is ever so subtle, you can kinda see it when the light hits the darker grains just right. Or I am tricking myself... very possible! :rolleyes:

11. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Your restos are looking better than mine... great job!

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  12. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

I am getting better each time, plus I do have a lot of pipes to practice on. Some are way easier than others though. I have yet to smoke the tank, I think I may need to do some drilling on that one, I will practice first on a couple other not so cool looking pipes.

Spillproof likes this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

impressive

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  14. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

What is the diameter of the airway? If it is a short pipe, a narrower airway can be ok.

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Damn, son, that's a nice job!

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  16. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

They came out great! Terrific work

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That poker is so sweet , I almost teared up :rolleyes:

18. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Thank you! I am really pleased with it too.

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.