The hunt for a chocolate aromatic.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Degenetron, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Ok, so i've been looking for a chocolate flavoured aromatic. I'm a bit particular about it though it seems.. what i would like is for it to taste like that hint of dark, high cocoa chocolate you can get when smoking a nice cigar.

A while ago i purchased a tin of C&D Chocolate cavendish. It was in my opinion horrible.. tasted like that cheap sticky chocolate sandwich spread kids like, only someone had spilled nutmeg in it.

So, one down, i start looking again. Perhaps a silly choice on my part, but the next one i try is C&D Mocha. It is certainly a lot better than the Choc Cav (nobody had spilled nutmeg in thisone), but it uses the same chocolate flavouring, which i find entirely too sweet and sticky. The rest of the flavour is just plain boring.

So.. I turn to you ;) I am looking for a rich tobacco. Very possibly a medium to heavy english blend.. with a hint of that dark, bitter, high cocoa chocolate flavour. Needless to say anything reminiscent of the C&D blends mentioned will not suit my needs.

Any options?

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Boswell's Chocolate Cream, and Uhle's Black Stoker. The Black Stoker is a rum and chocolate blend and I think it is awesome. The Boswell's Chocolate Cream is just flavored with chocolate and most people love the flavor. It does not hurt that they both smell out of this world.
    God Bless!!! Ray

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake or Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake. Both have a smidge of latakia in them but it's not intrusive in the least (although it is noticeable). Neither would probably be considered an "aromatic" per se, but they do have a nice chocolate undertone with a nice medium body and full flavor.

If you're looking for something more aromatic, McClellands Tastemaster comes to mind. A bit overblown in the aroma department compared to the two above, but pretty decent blend.

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

Mac Baren Honey & Chocolate is pretty chocolaty.

5. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

All noted and added to the list :) Although as i've been looking to get into some flakes, dmkerr's suggestions are tempting. As for latakia i rather like it and certainly wouldn't mind some in the blend.
    Not being an "aromatic" is not a problem either as the taste im looking for ideally, is one i know tobaccos can have without additives. (found it in a couple cigars).

6. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

you may want to try a blend that contains cigar leaf... GLP Key Largo or C&D Habana Daydream might hit the spot for you!

7. Albert

Albert Active Member

Dmkerr, how did you like the CAO Eileens Dream as a chocolate Aromatic?

8. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Quite possible Dondi. I am a bit sceptical of C&D though. The two chocolate aromatics of theirs pretty much sucked in my opinion. The only other blend i have tried from them is Billy Budd. Thatone i rather liked (like the latakia content), but it was a bit on the strong side. As i understand the billy budd has quite a bit of cigar leaf as well.. been a while since i tried it.. think i will pull it out again later this evening :) Not expecting that to have that bitter chocolate hint i am looking for though.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Eileen's Dream surprised me. I liked it much more than I thought I would. I think it emphasized the liqueur flavor moreso than the chocolate but it would definitely work for chocolate as well. Can't believe I missed this one, as I just finished the tin a week ago. Dried out before smoking, this is a high quality aromatic.

10. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Not chocolatey, but you might like Sillem's Black

11. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I agree w/ Woody about McB's Honey & Chocolate.

12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Are these chocolate like a Hershey bar or more like cocoa powder? I am not sure I like the idea of either, but the idea of toby that smells like milk chocolate is not at all appealing.

13. woody

woody Admin Admin

More like brownies I would say. It's not expensive so no big loss on the cost of a tin. I find Mac Barens in general to be one heck of a deal.

14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

you may want to try a blend that contains cigar leaf... GLP Key Largo or C&D Habana Daydream might hit the spot for you! rich, creamy smoke with just a hint of cocoa :bing:

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'd recommend the Kansas City Pipe Club blend called Chocolate Silk, tinned by McClelland.

16. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I agree on the milk chocolate part.. which is mostly why i asked in here.. Both C&D's had that going on.
    I see Woody has gotten some backup on the MacBaren :) And Brownies would certainly be a step up from artificial milk chocolate flavour. The hunt continues.

17. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

2nd vote for the Tastemaster by McClelland. I found it very rich and satisfying, without any heavy sweetness. More like a salty chocolate ala brownies or dark chocolate covered nuts.

18. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Although I don't tend toward aromatics, I do enjoy MacBaren's Honey & Chocolate tobacco on occasion.

:toast:
    -- Carl

Stoked likes this.
  19. Redone

Redone Member

Well I have tried two Bob's Chocolate flake (Thanks Mington) and McB Honey and Chocolate and didnt like both at all. Both we kind of harsh on my mouth and throat and had some bite..not allot of flavor. They did smell great before I smoked them thou. I will still keep looking for a good tasting and smoking Chocolate toby.

Mington likes this.
  20. mugwump

mugwump Member

I don't much care for chocolate in general but Two Friends English Chocolate is a fine tobacco that I like a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.