The journey begins...

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by LutzSpearo, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Lately I have been gaining a healthy interest in cigars, and while home for the holidays, I have taken the opportunity to stock up on various sticks to help me get an idea of what I like. I live overseas, so ordering from the awesome online cigar retailers is not something I can enjoy often like most of you. It also prohibits me from participating in things like OCG/NCG, because shipping stuff overseas is just a pain. But I do want to try different cigars, and learn about cigars and smoking them, so I thought I could start my own thread here to help me do that.

I'd like to share with you all what I've tried, what I have in my quiver, what I like and dislike etc... and if some of you don't mind, you can offer some advice or suggestions to help me on my journey.

So far, I have tried the following cigars and these are my general, unsophisticated impressions.

1. Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park: I thought this was a mild-medium cigar, and the flavors were ok. Nothing horrible, but nothing mind blowing either.

2. Gran Habano #1 Connecticut Robusto: I thought this was a mild-medium cigar, and I really enjoyed the flavors. I'd smoke more of these. I really liked this one.

3. Nub Connecticut 460: I felt this cigar was a touch on the mild side of medium, definitely medium by the end of the smoke. I really enjoyed the first half, the flavors were amazing, but the second half the flavors kind of became jumbled up and less distinctive. Still, I liked it, but it was maybe too large of a ring gauge, it was a little uncomfortable to smoke.

4. Punch Rare Corojo Champion: To me this was a solid medium smoke, maybe medium-full by the last third. The shape was a little awkward, mostly because it didn't burn evenly, but the flavors were good. I could smoke more of these.

5. Dona Lydia Robusto: I really enjoyed this cigar, which to me was a smooth medium the whole smoke. Flavors were great, I really enjoyed it. In fact, after I smoked it, I came inside to research it some and came across an incredible deal on a box ($35 for 20 sticks!) and low and behold, the mail lady just dropped it off while I am typing this! Awesome.

6. Rocky Patel Vintage Juniors: I bought the 1990, 1992, and Sungrowns to enjoy a quick smoke with a coworker during coffee breaks. The Sungrown are too strong for me, the 1990 are too harsh and kind of burn my sinuses, but the 1992 (with the black label) were a medium smoke and ok. I might try the 1992 again in a corona or robusto size, but not the Juniors.

That's what I've tried and how I felt about them. I seem to like the mild-medium sticks, or the smoother medium smokes, at least so far. I've also got the following in a 40-count herfador, waiting to be sampled:

1. CAO Gold Churchill
    2. Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto
    3. 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel
    4. Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro
    5. Hoyo Excaliber Epicure
    6. Alec Bradley American Classic Toro
    7. La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Club
    8. Ghurka Symphony Grand Rothschild
    9. Sancho Panza Glorioso
    10. La Aroma de Cuba Robusto
    11. La Perla Habana Morado Belicoso
    12. Rocky Patel Decade Robusto
    13. Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1 Robusto
    14. Torano Exodus 50 Years Robusto
    15. Cohiba Churchill
    16. CAO L'Anniversaire Robusto
    17. Oliva Serie 'O' Torpedo
    18. H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Churchill
    19. Patron 3000 Natural Robusto
    20. Arturo Fuente Chateau Natural (Robusto?)
    21. Montecristo Classic Churchill
    22. Rocky Patel Decade Toro Tubo
    23. La Herencia Cubana Robusto
    24. Romeo y Julieta No.1 (in the metal tubes)

I think that is it. As I smoke these I'll report back on this thread what my opinion is of each cigar I smoke. If some of you don't mind, let me know what you think and offer any guidance you want. I'm leaving Florida tomorrow and will be travelling for about 24 hours, but other than that I'll be checking in here and smoking as often as I can.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    umfunix and inkybat like this.

2. Marker

Marker Active Member

There are some great deals on cigarbid. Grated they will not ship overseas but shipping to you isn't that bad. I have shipped cigars to Ireland, England, France, Greece, Germany and there have been no issues. Just takes time to get there.

Some great deals on cuban cigars that can be shipped to you and reasonable prices ($3-$6 each) depending on your import issues from vendors. Most of the non cubans cost as much if not more for you overseas. Any questions let me know. I can talk more specific in conversation.

critter likes this.
  3. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

It's been awhile since posting here, it's been a crazy month! I've smoked a couple cigars, nothing new though until yesterday. Now that we are settled from the move, I hope to smoke 2-3 cigars per week from now on.

Last night I got together with a close friend, as it was the 9 year anniversary of when we lost 31 men in a helo accident in Iraq. It's really amazing the he and I both served together in the same unit, then went our separate ways, and now are both living in Doha with our families. And it was great that we could get together yesterday, it's always helpful on a rough day like that.

Anyway, we smoked some cigars! I gave him a couple of mine, he let me choose for him. For myself, I chose a 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel. Next I enjoyed a Dona Lydia Corona.

I have to say, the 5 Vegas Gold has shot to the top of my list. It was fantastic. I was impressed by the taste, the draw, the smoothness, the everything. We were gabbing away, but it never went out, even when I thought it would have. The only two issues were towards the end the wrapper split in one spot (maybe over-hydration? poor construction?) and the box-press shape was a little awkward.

I made a note to order more of these!

umfunix likes this.
  4. Egill

Egill Member

Holy batman! I just noticed that i made a thread with the exact same title, sorry for that Lutz, you obviously inspired my subconfleblah

umfunix and LutzSpearo like this.
  5. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

No worries! I'll check it out!

I have been so busy the past month, and have had a cold for the past two weeks, so I haven't been able to smoke much. I enjoyed an Arturo Fuente Chateau Natural several days ago, but with the cold, I don't think I got a real good take on it. It was still good though!

umfunix likes this.
  6. Egill

Egill Member

Holy batman! I just noticed that i made a thread with the exact same title, sorry for that Lutz, you obviously inspired my subconfleblah(?)

umfunix likes this.
  7. Egill

Egill Member

Repost, stupid smartphone!

8. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Today I filled my new cigar lighter, and lit up a La Herencia Cubana Robusto. I bought a 5 pack of these based off reviews I read online.

To me, this was a medium-full cigar in flavor, and medium in body and strength. I enjoyed the flavors, although it was a little much for me. It was very well made, had a very nice burn and the draw was just right.

The only thing I didn't really dig was the aftertaste. I'm not sure how best to describe it, the only thing that keeps coming to mind is that it left a slightly bitter, strong taste in my mouth. I'm curious to know if that slight bitterness is common to the wrapper or binder, with Sumatra wrappers for example, or what. Maybe it's nothing that is common with anything except this cigar and my palate. If anyone has a take on that, I'd love to hear it.

I have 3 left, and I won't mind smoking them when I want a more full cigar. But that isn't often, and I probably won't order these again. Not a bad cigar at all, just not for me right now.

9. Marker

Marker Active Member

It is probably a young cigar. They have some ammonia build up in the cigar that needs time to breathe out. Many of the cheap non cubans (and some cubans) have this issue. If you smoke one from a pack and it has a bitter, almost acrid taste, that is ammonia. Let it sit for 6 months and try again.

LHC cigars are not really medium per se to new smokers. They are med full imo. To people who have smoked a lot of stronger cigars they would be medium. If you are looking for more medium cigars try some of the AVO line, San Lotano, Oliva Connecticut.

tungbite and LutzSpearo like this.
  10. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Thanks for the information Marker. I'll let them rest for 6 months or more, then try another one. I do agree that, for me, they were medium, a little on the full side of medium.

I am finding I prefer the mild-medium cigars. At least from the cigars I have tried so far, that seems to be what I like. I have really enjoyed those Connecticut wrappers. I do have an Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto and a Rocky Patel Connecticut Toro that I'm looking forward to.

I was really blown away by the first half of a NUB Connecticut 460, but the second half tasted kind of blah to me, I don't know, not as great as the first half.
    I also had an Arturo Fuente Chateau Natural that I enjoyed a lot. I'll be ordering more of these.
    I thought the Gran Habano #1 Connecticut Robusto was great as well. I'll be ordering more of these.
    And the 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel was fantastic, probably my favorite so far. And I'll certainly be ordering more of these, I'd like to try a robusto as well.

I'l make a note of the AVO line and San Lotano, thanks for the recommendation.

11. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Well I just smoked an Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto. I really enjoyed it. The flavors were very good, mild, and not complex. Not mind blowing, but very good in a simple way. It did get stronger towards the end, and I smoked it down til my lips were burning lol. I'll add this to my favorites list. For me, this smoke is coming in just behind 5 Vegas Gold, although I will need to smoke several more of each to really decide. Not that it matters though, they are both very good.

When I get back to the States this summer, I'll order one or two 5-packs of my favorites so far, maybe in a couple different sizes. This cigar will be included. I'll also pick up some of those that have been recommended.

12. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Been incredibly busy since I moved to Qatar, but have had time to smoke a couple cigars recently.

The other night I smoked a CAO Gold Churchill. I didn't really like it. There were a few moments where I enjoyed it, but for most of it I just found it ok. Actually the last two inches or so were downright unenjoyable. I wouldn't smoke it again.

But tonight was different. I thoroughly enjoyed a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Epicure. Damn that thing was incredible! I loved every single puff and smoked it down till it was burning my lips. I found it to be just on the light side of medium, incredible flavor and lots of smooth rich creamy smoke. I wish I had more, this is definitely one of my favorites.

So far, this Excalibur Epicure and the 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel are at the top of my repurchase list, although I may go for the robusto or toro with the 5 Vegas Gold (or try both) when I get a chance to order more.

Marker likes this.
  13. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Smoked a couple more cigars recently...

Oliva Serie "O" torpedo: I found it to be medium, to medium-full, and definitely being strong towards the end. Pretty good flavorful smoke, I liked it.

Alec Bradley Family Blend VR1 robusto: Fantastic smoke. A smooth medium smoke all the way, I loved it. Will definitely be buying more of these.

Alec Bradley American Classic toro: Pretty nice cigar, started out a little harsh, but smoothed out after a 1/4 inch or so. Was a nice smooth smoke till the last 2 inches or so, then seemed to quickly become a full flavored/body cigar al of a sudden. I wasn't able to smoke it down to the nub, but overall it was enjoyable.

Of these 3, the Alec Bradley Family Blend was hands down a great smoke and will be on my repurchase list. I might give the other two another try as well, but I think I favored the Oliva "O" over the AB American Classic.

Marker likes this.
  14. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Oh, I forgot to add the CAO L'Anniversaire robusto that I thoroughly enjoyed! Another smooth medium cigar, and I loved it. This will also be added to the list, it was very very good. I know that isn't a sophisticated review, nor are any of my reviews, but this was a damn good cigar!

Marker likes this.
  15. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Right now I'm outside smoking the Ghurka Symphony Grand Rothschild. I'm about half way through it now. I've read mixed reviews on Ghurka, but for me this cigar isn't bad at all. Definitely mild, flavor is good. Actually the flavor is little boring, but certainly not bad. So far it's not looking like this will make my reorder list, but it is still enjoyable.

Jimmy Bukowski and Marker like this.
  16. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Right now I'm really REALLY enjoying a Carlos Torano Exodus 50 Years robusto, man this thing is smooth! It's a solid medium at about the halfway point, creamy and a little sweet. I want more of these dark tasty smokes for sure.

Edit: finishing this up now, a great smoke to the very end!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like some Torano cigars. If you're into the mild-medium thing, give the Casa Torano a try. I'm partial to the natural wrapper, but the maduro is good in its own right, and comes in a nice lancero shape, which I consider a plus. Still, the natural wrapper in the toro size is one of my favorite milder smokes, up there with the Griffin's and Avo classic

LutzSpearo likes this.
  18. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I'll look into them Nesta, thanks for the suggestions! I do prefer the mild-medium and medium cigars. Even the Exodus 50 Years was medium to me... I was a little intimidated before I lit it up, thinking it was going to a fuller smoke, but it was fantastic.

19. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

Last night I enjoyed a La Aroma de Cuba robusto. Stronger than most of what I have been sampling so far, but I liked it. Not too strong, I was still able to exhale out my nose and I enjoyed the flavor and thick smoke quite a bit. It's getting a little too hot here for me to smoke a heavy cigar like this, but I could definitely see me enjoying more of these in cooler weather. A smooth, rich tasty smoke that is definitely medium-full to me, maybe even full when it's down to the nub.

After this La Aroma de Cuba and the Carlos Torano Exodus 50 Years, I think it would be worth my time exploring cigars a little stronger on the scale, medium / medium-full smokes don't seem so bad anymore!

Marker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.