THE JOY OF DISCOVERY.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Normally I don't like Latakia in the morning. This morning I tumbled out of bed, brewed some coffee, and filled my pipe. I meant to fill it with the Pease Cairo, but instead I filled it with some MacBaren Plumb Cake. (I'm essentially a zombie before that first cup of java brings me back to life).

So there I am, half awake and having not had my coffee yet, and firing-up what I think will be a bowl of Cairo. Took a moment for it to sink in that it was not Cairo, and the unexpected influx of Latakia caused the gray matter to crash for a split second. Then my brain re-booted and went back on-line... and I liked it!

I don't know if my palate has developed enough to appreciate Latakia in the morning, or maybe it's because the other blends that had Latakia had more of it than I could handle in the morning. Dunno, but this has encouraged me to give Pease's Chelsea Morning a go the next time I put in a baccy order. I might even revisit Dunhill's Early Morning blend.

Ah, the joy of discovery...

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

It's all part of the adventure, enjoy!:th1:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Ah, but Plumcake only has 2% Latakia(and Syrian, at that)...huff a bowl of Old Ironsides at the butt crack of dawn and then make up your mind...:)

Marc likes this.
  4. Marc

Marc Active Member

:haha:

5. RTOdhner

You "Lat Fiends" make me nervous. Didn't you ever see "Latakia Madness"?

6. yinyang

If you are speaking to Marc and I, we neither really qualify as 'Lat Fiends'...

I can smoke Latakia whenever...I just choose not to.

Latakia Madness??? What's that? Some sort of marriage inducing psychosis? Sounds terminal...:)

7. RTOdhner

It came out the same year as Refer Madness. Paranoia (feeling singled-out as evidenced by the statement "...Marc and I...") and denial ("I can smoke X whenever... I just choose not to.") are tell-tale signs of an unhealthy addiction. Do we need to do an intervention? I'm here to help. I'll take all that "demon weed" off your hands in-order-to help save you from yourself. (Selfless dedication to the well-being of others is what I'm all about, eh).

Kiowapipe and yinyang like this.
  8. yinyang

Nice try, Lehigh...the most you'll get out of my cellar anyways is about a pounds worth...and most of them yicky blends like Squadron Leader and Penzance. Trust me, not worth the effort! :)

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I could post some comments about Latakia, but I really got nothin to say that would add to this thread right now. You guys are nuts! LMAO

yinyang likes this.
  10. yinyang

Am too! :ohyh:

Seriously, if you have insight on Latakia pre-breakfast, I'm sure RTOdhner would be curious. I'm just not the guy to expound the virtues of an English...don't smoke them enough.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I'm not really a pre-breakfast smoker of anything, other than maybe the occasional paper tube full of Burley.

Herb

12. RTOdhner

No, selfless dedication is my thang. Out the pure generosity of my heart and upright Christian virtue, I'll take one for the team and help you overcome your demons by taking that Squadron Leader and Penzance off your hands. Think of your helpless pipes! (Damn, my syrupy sweetness just made my dog puke).

13. Zfog

Zfog Member

You guys are a riot, I personally love a bowl of Lat first thing in the morning.

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

No Latakia around here for years, but I'm knee deep in McClelland Virginia tins...:laff:

15. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Two blends I really enjoy - Cairo and Plum Cake! I love Cairo, and while I enjoy MacB's Plum Cake, I prefer their roll Cake or Dark Twist even more.

:toast:
    -- Carl

16. RTOdhner

I haven't tried MacB's roll cake yet, but it's on my list. I've just recently discovered the joys of flake-type tobies, and so far I've had OGS and Erinmore - both were awesome!. I just ordered some Peterson University Flake, and their Irish Flake is on the list for July. I've got the MacB roll cake on the list for August. I'm trying one blend per month, flake or otherwise, and so far I've really been enjoying it. I've hear the roll cake is even better than the Plum Cake, which is one of my all-time favorites so I'm going to enjoy finding out for myself.

The Cairo has been just wonderful. During the week, I smoke Stokkebye Natural in a Legend corncob on my way to work, and Cairo is what I smoke on the weekend in either a Country Gentleman or Great Dane cob. Good stuff... good stuff, indeed. :bing:

17. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If I hear that latakia will no longer be available from anywhere, I'll have to tell my doctor that he's going to have to double my dosage of medication.

OBD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.