1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Last Viking

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Kiowapipe, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

No, seriously, Grabow has made its last Viking. If you ever really wanted your very own North Carolina Falcon knock-off, better get one while the getting is good.

2. Redone

Redone Member

Got one on order today.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Great smokers - got two a straight and a bent and they are excellent I think. Bowl doesn't come off as quickly or as easily as Falcon's - but I can't fault their smoking qualities

Gerry

4. Redone

Redone Member

Gerry are they allot like a Falcon? They look like they are. I got the email from Graybow saying that the metal bodys are no longer being made in the USA or made anymore for that matter .Once they are gone.. that's it. How long have they been around? I never knew of them or that Graybow had special pipes or introduced limited series pipes...which are on sale now also.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

I received that letter from Dr. Grabow too, I decline, have at it fella's.:)

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Back in the day, metal system pipes were the hic tec "favour of the month" and many many makers brought out their own versions. Almost all (apart from Titan who put the screw thread in the smoke hole rather than at the bowl edge) featured a humidome of some kind to collect the goo, and a screw in bowl with a thread around its edge. Falcon put a lot of these out of business with Patent Infringement actions in the courts.

Only Falcon has the patented 4 point start thread - most others used the same thread as Doc Grabow - though not all such threaded bowls will fit all pipes without the bowl bottoms being modified, essentially they need to be flattened off. The differences in stems are mainly cosmetic and to make each brand look unique - basically all the stems have "special snake oil" configurations to disspate the heat.

The bowl shapes are all fairly conventional, but each maker tended to use their own names for the shapes. Certain manufacturers such as Duncan were noted for the high quality of briar used and the better class of finish but essentially all are basically the same in operation.

The second pattern Vikings ( with the cooling fins/ridges), which are what I think are being sold still, have the same humidome shape as a Falcon, only the centre boss is cut like a gear wheel, which does make cleaning slightly more difficult. There is not much difference in feel and weight ( maybe slightly heavier and a little more solid) between a Grabow Viking Apple and a Standard Falcon Apple, though Grabow sometimes varnished their bowls rather than polishing them.

Unlike Falcon's, Grabow's mouthpieces are removeable for cleaning - the first model has a course thread screw- in mouthpiece, the second model a push pull fitting.

Once broken in I can detect no real difference in smoking qualities between a Falcon and a Grabow. I like both.

Best as ever

Gerry

7. Redone

Redone Member

As always Gerry great info. Can you fit a Falcon bowl on a Viking? I think you said so but there is modification of the bowl..how much? When I get my Viking how should I break it in?

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

No Falcon bowls only fit the Falcon Standard and Falcon International ranges. Grabows can accept Rocket and a few other bowls but if they fit the screw you may need to flatten off the bottom for it to be fully accepted.

I broke in my Grabow the same way as a Falcon - moistened the bowl with spit before the first smoke, filled to 1/3rd and smoked it slowly right the way down. Gradually worked up to a half bowl then a three quarter bowl. After two days of smoking burley the raw new burning pine like taste was off it. After about a week when it began to "sh" I opened up the smoke hole a little with a knife and that was it,

Best as ever

Gerry

9. Redone

Redone Member

Thanks Gerry, I will follow your advice. Hope the Viking leads to allot of great smokes down the road.

10. Redone

Redone Member

I got my Viking in the mail along wih 3 boxes of Graybow filters and a cool tamper for free. I like the pipe although it is small. Are the falcons the same size? Maybe its that the stem is so thin but even the bowl is small. I have smoked it most of the weekend. I started out with a few half bowls and it smoked pretty wet not too hot thou. I had two full bowls last night and it might be starting to dry up a little. So far its a cool little pipe and overall I like it. I feel if I dropped it I wouldnt be worried like a briar. I'm thinking of ordering another smooth bowl since this is it for Vikings.

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Falcon bowl sizes are about a Dunhill size 2.

12. Redone

Redone Member

How about the length of the overall pipe...Viking and Falcon the same?

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

A Falcon is 5 1/2 inches long.

14. Redone

Redone Member

Sounds like they are about the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.