The Maturing of a Pipe Smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've been really hinking abou and rating all the blends I own, and it's becoming more obvious to me that I'm true "Burley Man!"

Today, I dumped a bowl of OGS & a bowl of HBS. In the past, I enjoyed OGS, but not after smoking predominately burly baccy's over the past 2-3 months. I just popped a tin of HBS, and after 2 tries, I just didn't care for it. To me it was rough around the edges. I used to like perique, but it seems I am completely enjoying the "burley family." A little VA mixed in is nice and adds that slight sweetness to the dominant nutty flavor.

So may be a few suggestions from you friends, will give me some more to look for. I like CH, BLB, Double Eagle and a few local blends, especially Light Burley (Tobacco Barn).

Thanks, guys!

RTOdhner and woody like this.

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I love Burley blends. MacB has some really great Burleys in their blends. So does Stokkebye. Classic American blends like Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Velvet, and Carter Hall are chocked full of wonderful Burley. Solani Aged Burley Flake (ABF) is 100% pure Burley, and it's awesome. C & d also has some Burley flake tobaccos, and they're pretty good as well - but they're not on same the level as Solani ABF.

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'm a burley smoker also, a Cob and Carter Hall seem to do it for me now days, occasionally I will enjoy a straight virginia tobacco. :)

Scottly likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Pecci, you gotta try Blend 00 and Perfection Plug Burley from Uhle's Tobacco Shop. Google them, call them, order the tobacco and smoke the daylights out of it! Both are excellent. They have a bit of sweetness plugged in so no need to add VA if you don't want to. Really excellent burleys. Not to be missed.

5. Scottly

Scottly Member

Oh man another one I gotta try. I love plugs for some reason and that perfection sounds great.

6. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

Burley did not grow on me until months into smoking a pipe. It has found it's way into my regular rotation, beating out latakia blends at this time.

7. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I hate Burley so much I would kidnap it's grandmother at gunpoint.

Chemical reaction supposedly.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Burley :th1:! MB Golden Extra , Wessex Burley Slice and Broadcut , PS Cube Cut ... for starters . There's something about Burley that just screams ... pipe tobacco . I love everything ... Aros , va , Lats etc ... But Burley seems to be in the middle of all of it . The middle is where I like to be most of the time .... it makes the other types seem special . Without Burley ... it would be like having the " center " lost .... if that makes sense

9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I'm on the Latakia side of town right now, but will eventually make my way over to Burley Country for a visit.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It does. Burley is like the foundation of tobaccos. The guy that turned me onto it called it "God's Leaf". I smoked a ton of everything but burley in the old days and only recently came to know burley. It's truly the king of tobaccos.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

As much as I love English Lat bombs I've recently discovered the joy of Burley via Carter Hall. Suddenly I'm a big fan of burley. But, I like it straight up, not heavily flavoured or Canvendished. I that a word?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.