The Meditative State: Relaxing Stories of Pipe Smoking

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by piper965, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piper965

piper965 Member

Through the years I have grow as a pipe smoker and matured in my technique. I was sitting down smoking my first non-drugstore pipe yesterday(a BC Bent Bulldog) and thinking about my pipe smoking through the years. I remember clumsily trying to load my first bowl almost 10 years ago and how much I enjoyed that first smoke. (Or at least a the few minutes of actual smoking I got in between the multitude of relights due to a poor packing job, and cheap moist tobacco) As i think about how I have grown as a pipe smoker I can see how it has also paralleled my life and maturing as a human being. As I developed my smoking technique I have worked my own little subtleties into the way I light, smoke, clean, and even hold the pipe. It has become a second nature that is almost an extension of myself while I am smoking. Pipe smoking is and should be a relaxing and meditative activity that allows you time to reflect on yourself and your life and should be an escape from the normal activities of daily life. So here is the goal for this thread. I would like everyone to share their pipe smoking experiences. Whether it's a specific relaxing time that you distinctly remember, a first experience, or just your ideal situation for smoking a pipe. I'll start it off by sharing my most loved time and place for relaxing with my briar.

My most loved time and place for smoking is first thing in the morning on the front porch of my apartment in my quiet complex. I like to prepare a cup of hot tea(sometimes adding a dab of Jameson) and sit down in my chair to light up my favorite tobacco.(Normally EMP or 965) I like the cool air and the feeling of the world waking up. I like to sit there in silence and just prepare myself for the day. The smell of the morning dew and the feeling of a breeze on my face while catching whiffs of my pipe. I always feel like I have a better day when I spend my morning sitting with my thoughts and my pipe. It's such a simple thing but means so much to take a moment and reflect on myself.

What's your favorite moment or place to spend time with your pipe?

2. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Thanks for sharing Piper.

I haven't been smoking as long as you have, only a year or so. And I don't have a set time to enjoy my pipes. Typically on a Thursday I get to enjoy a pipe and I also do on Friday evenings. When I smoke my pipes alone I often ponder over those I counsel as I am a counselor at a church. I look at different perspectives and different paths. I think of provoking questions to ask. I remember my life and what I have encountered in hopes that I may be able to help someone else out.

But there are times when my mind of pretty much blank. Then I enjoy the sounds and the plants and trees around me. The landscape around sometimes reminds me of what I personally believe God created. And I am increasingly thankful for it. When I am out of town or on vacation is when I do this more. I just enjoy the new environment and try to take it all in with my pipe.

Rodfather, wmblake, tdog and 12 others like this.
  3. 12GA

12GA Member

Sitting on the porch at camp. I'll sit there and think and listen to the sounds of the woodland creatures and before I know it I've packed and smoked several bowls from the same pipe.
    [​IMG]

Rodfather, mongo, wmblake and 18 others like this.
  4. Super K

Super K Active Member

Everyday before work I sit in my truck behind the shop smoking my pipe, drinking my coffee, and listening to the oldies. It's not picturesque in the slightest, but it's my time away from the house and help. It helps me get geared up and ready to face the day with all its' challenges. The most nature I get to take in are the feral cats running under semi trailers or cottontail rabbits running through the parking lot.

12ga, that's heaven.

5. piper965

piper965 Member

Gotta say. This looks amazing!

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like to smoke with people but I end up talking to much and dont get much smoking done sometimes . But people are the most fun ! I enjoy smoking with my wife ! However , I usually smoke alone . I work alone , mostly , and my two younger sons arent quite old enough to help when I'm working on the property , so I'm alone then too . I have a thing for wind and woods . I dig being in the woods , whether it's way out there miles from anything , or just in the woods on my property . The coolest , is when youve been quite for some time and your hearing has adjusted to the " quite " . Once adjusted , you hear all kinds of things from far off .. could be a small bird walking about on some dried leaves 75 yards away or whatever . Anyway , I'll call that " The Zone " . While in the zone , I'll smoke the pipe and watch the wind take the smoke through the woods . I've always liked that and I've been doing it since I was 14 .. the pipe even tastes better too ! I've seen some amazing things while in " the zone " smoking in the woods ....yes , it's the best :)

7. CidCitrus

CidCitrus Member

Up until a few months ago, I only smoked my pipe occasionally. My favorite time to smoke was on my family's yearly trip to Shenandoah national park. I'd just sit out on the deck of the cabin we rented in a rocking chair with a cold beer or glass of blackberry wine, a book, and my pipe. It has and will be a tradition that I will continue, and hopefully my son will one day pick up the pipe and we can share that moment together.
    I also got a lot of pipe smoking done on my honeymoon in Costa Rica this past October. We had a beautiful view from our back porch and saw all kinds of neat rainforest animals while sitting there in silence.

8. Mattybob

Mattybob New Member

I remember most, as a kid, the time spent in deer camp with my dad and our hunting buddies. I was too young to smoke when I met them, but always remember a couple of the old farts packing a pipe and smoking either Prince Albert or Borkum Riff. That smell stuck with me as we parted ways years later. One of those fond memories that never leaves.

I've been smoking a pipe now for.....lessee....what time is it? Oh, just a short minute. I do enjoy sitting on my back patio, sipping my coffee, lighting up and listening to the world pass by.

9. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

coming home after a stressful day, sitting on the couch with my dog, and lurking here

Rodfather, Old Codger, raf66 and 8 others like this.
  10. Doc Sixstring

Doc Sixstring Active Member

sorry about the poor photo (I'm spreading my reputation as a terrible photographer) but this is where I enjoy my pipe in the summer time

[​IMG]

piper965 likes this.
  11. miracle419

miracle419 Member

I, too enjoy my apartment exterior, however I have a back porch and my view is to the east. There, surrounding nearly the entire thing are shrubs taller than I. I am afforded evenings when the weather is warmer to sit just as the sun crests out of my line of sight and reflect on a days work, evenings plans, and anything else which may draw my minds fancy. I mostly enjoy these times when they follow an especially turbid day. The sheer contrast of stress and relaxation truly makes one appreciate what one has.

12. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

I took up meditation in 2008 to deal with job stress. Turns out it's a very powerful tool for balancing and centering the mind and body. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a bit of a skill to learn but it's drug free, there is no cost involved and all the 'side effects' are positive and beneficial. Hell, It made me more patient and, if you knew me, that's nothing short of a miracle.

Anyway, One day shortly after I started up the pipe I was smoking some Va No.1 in my Savinelli 320. It was so good. Probably in the top three smoking experiences I ever had. Next thing I know I'm right into the meditative zone. It was awesome. It had never even occured to me that this was possible. I had smoked cigars for a lot of years and not one of them ever had this effect. Since then I like to think of it as the 'Peace' pipe

13. esteban

esteban Active Member

well it is a distant memory but......I have 40 acres in northern Arizona at 5k ft. Not on my property but 2 parcels over up on a hill is the remnants of an indian ruin. Its been ransacked, but there is still some semblance of stone in the ground showing the trace of former activity there......Its high enough to look out over the Juniper forest and see the San Francisco Peaks in Flagstaff Az, 60 miles away. I no longer live on the property, and really cannot describe the amazing rests and smokes that have taken place there... My favorites involve the wind being present......Unfortunately this amazing place is very remote and not conducive to geezerhood living.

14. willie

willie Member

well I have only been smoking a pipe for 6mnths now but so far the best times for me is when we are out shopping with the wife in Glasgow I send my son in with her and I get to stay outside and enjoy my pipe and get a chance to distress ....other than that I enjoy a good smoke on the nature reserve that I go to.....
    I have to say that I am an ex cigarette smoker just done it for the habit but now that I have given up the cigs I enjoy every single bowl that I smoke

CidCitrus, 12GA, esteban and 3 others like this.
  15. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Since I do not smoke in the house I always smoke outside... well at times in my garage with the overhead door open. When the alarm goes off and after I feed the cats breakfeast... I have nine cats... five of which are kittens.. so thats a hoot... anways... I cannot wait to get them all eating...so I can go out into the garage with a fresh cup of coffee with some milk and sweetner in it... and my little eaton MM cob filled with Daybreak. I put on AM1410.. its a local country oldies station.. open the overhead gargage door.. sit in my chair.. sip my coffee .. light up my cob and watch as the sun starts to come up over the trees... just beautiful. I do this every day.. even when it was nine above... but I did puff a little faster that day... but I just love my coffee.. pipe and nature. I too also love when the wind comes along and goes thru all the pine trees... with a whooshing sound... and also watch as my happy clouds of daybreak are carried off by the morning breeze. Life is good... and this makes it all even better.
    Cheers
    Mike

Rodfather, Super K, tdog and 6 others like this.
  16. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

Enjoying my pipe on my 50+ minute commute home from work makes my day. I smoke on drive home only and not on drive to work intentionally as I use it as kinda of a treat I look forward to. No phone calls, no texting, no talking to anyone. Just smoking, and listening to talk radio or adam carolla podcast. I even got pulled over for speeding on my way home a few weeks back, I wasn't paying attention and left cruise on in a dropped mph zone and honestly it was easier to take I think cause I was enjoying my pipe.

CidCitrus, 12GA and esteban like this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ya know what , Guys !? Tomorrow , my Son Nick is flying in . I havent seen him in some time being he's 19 and is a busy dude living in California . He has taken up the pipe and cigar since I've seen him last . He and I are gonna smoke together and even though it hasnt happened yet ... I can barely sleep tonight thinking how cool it's gonna be tomorrow ! It hasnt happened but I can tell already .... it's gonna be the best

Rodfather, mongo, Super K and 10 others like this.
  18. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

I always enjoy a good cigar with my son when I get to see him as he doesn't do a pipe yet....."

Rodfather and ruffinogold like this.
  19. Dobacco

Dobacco Member

We too, do not smoke inside the house. So, all of it is either outside or in our barn.
    I own a small 20 acre piece of land with a lot of Oak trees and when the weather is nice , I enjoy a morning bowl with no one particular blend, just what I'm in the mood for, and a cup of a loose leaf tea. No music, or radio, just the sounds that engulf me. I might have something to read.
    My wife works and is gone by the time I get up so it's just me watching the critters as they scurry around. I am retired and love being away from the city life. It's quiet here and I can let my mind wander without being interrupted by a lot of noises.
    I always look forward to my wife getting home so we can sit on the back deck and smoke and I'll listen to her about her day as she unwinds. Then I'll share my day with her. We'll watch for our deer friends to come up by the house foraging for food. They don't seem to be bothered with us and I know they hear us talking and can smell the smoking. It's fun to see then stop and stare at us a moment or two, then go about their business.
    In the evenings, we'll sit on the front porch watching the star lit night and, at times, the moon is so bright, it's almost as twilight, and listen to the coyotes howl, the owls hoot, while we have our last smoke before bed.
    During the colder months, we have a wood burning stove in the barn so we'll smoke in there and watching the flames dance their ballet before us. Sometimes we don't even speak as we 're lost in our own thoughts.
    It's always relaxing and enjoyable. I smoked mostly cigars for many years with occasional pipes but, just within the past 5 months I've gone completely pipe and I find it much more rewarding.

Rodfather, Old Codger, tdog and 4 others like this.
  20. Stewart

Stewart Member

Thanks for sharing, all. I am enjoying reading about everyone's ritual.

Doc Sixstring and piper965 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.