1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The MM Washington... a superior smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stoked, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoked

Stoked Member

Along with my other Missouri Meerschaum cobs, I have 3 that are the Washington model.

http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php?productid=16154

All three smoke fabulous and the flavor I get from my tobaccos are superb. Two of them are older (about 1 year) and the newest is about a month old but well broken in. No matter what baccy I put through them, they all smoke and taste great.

Along with the newest Washington, I purchased 2 new Diplomats. The Diplomats are well broken in now, with about 15 smokes each.

I've noticed something that I can't explain. All 3 of the Washingtons always produce a superior taste, no matter what my choice of baccy is. But I've noticed that the same tobacco smoke through either of the Diplomats just don't taste as good. Ever.

The Diplomat has a thicker wall, and slightly larger bowl than the Washington, and a hardwood bottom, but that's all that I'm aware of. I just can't explain why neither of the two Diplomat models match the flavor I get with the Washington.

Has anyone else noticed this? My local tobacconist only carries the Washington model in his shop. I'm wondering if he knows something.

2. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I suppose they must be like any other pipes.
    I've had a couple legends that were awesome smokers. (in fact, just bought a new one today)
    I have a Great Dane Egg that I like a lot, but for some reason I can't explain the Legends just seem .... well, Better.
    I had a Country Gentleman that I didn't like at all - could not put my finger on it; just didn't like it.

As far as I can tell the Legend and the Washington are the same pipe with different color stems. - not absolutely sure about that though.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'd have to agree with you on that one Stoked! I believe it has something to do with the soft bottom. The Country Gent has become my fav overall with the Pride running a close second. Still love the General/CCSS for long cob smokes though. My Diplomats are pretty much the "work outdoors" pipe but hey, they all excel outdoors!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Er, sorry Stoked, this is a PIPE forum, not a gardening forum. Can see you are confused, posting about corn all the time.

:second:

Oh c'mon, I had to..... :icon_peace:

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

Thanks Ed, I knew I'd get an answer from you right quick. Yeah, maybe it's the soft bottom. For some reason the Washington (and Legend) models just seem to taste sweeter to me, and the overall taste is just better. I dunno, maybe they use a different kind of cob for the Diplomat and it's just not same...

For once I actually prefer the "cheaper" model of something.

6. Stoked

Stoked Member

That's rather corny. :roflmao:

:eek:hyeah:

7. Stoked

Stoked Member

Shootinok, there ya go! Yeah, my Legends taste better too. I think you're right about them being basically the same.

I think my suspicions are being confirmed. From now on I'm buying just Washingtons for my indoor smoke. Ed's advice on the Diplomat for outdoors is well received as well.

It's funny because nobody here mentions the Washington and I think it's an incredible smoke.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I prefer my MM bulldog in or outdoors....

9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I've got three legends. Once I find something I like, I tend to go with what I know. The bottoms do get a little soft so I've stopped poking at them with my finger while I'm smoking. They don't firm up appreciably after resting. The natural cob bottom may be the key difference, allowing the bowl to breath on both ends. Just two cents worth of observation.

WK

10. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

WK, Have you tried "pipe mud" in the bottom of the bowl on any of your cobs? I've mudded all my cobs and it's working very well.

Are the Washington's natural finish? My natural Diplomats smoke better than my finished Legend, C.G. or Diplomats.

WyoBob

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I can relate cause I feel the same way about the country gentleman . I got the straight one . I've got a Legend and a bent washington and the gentleman tastes better . I think the others are " airy" in comparison to it . I've got a Burgeus [ spl? ] that is equally as good as the C.G. just smaller scale

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'm all about the Washingtons, after I got my first one I chucked the Diplomat in a hurry. The Washington tastes better and draws better with or without the filter. Its essentially the same thing as the Legend, but its bowl is coated instead of left "natural" so I find them to be tougher. I've got one Washington that's about two years old and still going strong. I didn't think a cob could have that kind of staying power.

13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I only have a Legend and love it, but I wish the bowl was bigger.

14. Stoked

Stoked Member

This is a great discussion and I'm glad I brought it up. I've never seen differences in taste discussed before with MM cobs, but it looks like there really is such a thing.

I went to my local pipe shop today in Raleigh and George had his rack of Washington cobs on the wall. I asked him if that's all he ever stocked and he replied that and the Legends. He agreed that they tend to breath a little better than the Diplomats.

Bravo! :thumbsu:

We are in total agreement. It's good to know I didn't just imagine that the Washington tasted better.

15. Stoked

Stoked Member

I gave one of my well broken in Diplomats (about 15 smokes) another try last night. I smoked some very flavorful tobacco, 1888. To be sure I even removed the balsa filter. To my surprise and dismay, even the 1888, which I find medium-strong in my Washingtons, was almost flavorless during the entire smoke in the Diplomat. I have YET to achieve a decent smoke with the Diplomat, one equal to the Washington. It's like the bowl of the Diplomat sucks the flavor out of any tobacco that I put in it.

It can't be just the hardwood bottom that makes this model the way it is. They must use a different corn variety or different treatment, or something, but having a hardwood bottom cannot possibly be the sole reason for this muting effect that I'm experiencing.

I'm done with this model of MM. :startle: In my opinion, the Diplomat is horrible! :startle:

I'm going to order more Washingtons and throw both the Diplomats in the trash!

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You do know that you are having a debate with yourself over what is basically a disposable pipe..... Right?

SwampRat likes this.
  17. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Missouri Pride is by far the best smoke out of the MM line.

18. Stoked

Stoked Member

Well these pipes are extremely popular so I think it's relevant to discuss this and see what others say. When I find certain tobaccos tasting better in a cob, over a briar or a meer, I think that makes them worthy of discussion, whether they are disposable or not.

19. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I agree with you, Stoked!

I have a couple of briars ($50+), and have finally admitted that my cobs are superior. It was tough to even admit it to myself. I love my MM General,Mizzou and Washington. I even enjoy my MM Maple. I just purchased the Country Gentleman, and look forward to loading her up this evening. :thumbsu:

20. Legend

Legend Member

I agree...I never did like the Diplomat, the smaller cobs seem to smoke better for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.