1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Physics of Kaywoodie

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I'm reading some historical data on Kaywoodies and this statistic jumped out at me. "The drinkless attttachment was advertised as cooling the smoke from 850 degrees in the bowl to 82 degrees when it entered the mouth." 82 degrees, even on a hot summer day.

I love hyperbole that is on the edge of plausible, and there may be some quantum explanation how the smoke can cool 700-odd degrees in maybe 8 inches of tubing, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Any idea where the factual basis of this claim comes from?

Thanks,
    WK

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

LOL ... I think they made it up . I have to say though , that the threaded stinger is really cool cause you can clean in the middle of a bowl . If need be , thats a big plus . I own at least a dozen kaywoodies and many of them are really great smokers ... 2 of them are ok

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I am always skeptical of claims such as this, so I did a little checking. I found that it is likely that the smoldering tobacco in your pipe, at least at the point of combustion, is in excess of 800 degrees. It may be possible that the smoke coming from the stem of your pipe is somewhere around 80 degrees, as that from a cigarette is around 100 degrees. However, the intrepid sales people at Kaywoodie asserted that the smoke starts out at over 800 degrees, and that's just not true. Smoke is partially made up of volatile compounds that are evaporating as the tobacco burns, but these compounds are suspended in a relatively large quantity of air, the same room temperature air that you are drawing into the pipe. Hence, the smoke itself was never anywhere near 800 degrees, though it might be a few degrees hotter than 82.

Whalehead King likes this.
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah I mean, this is sort of a "if we take a cold piece of aluminum and calculate based on it's theoretic thermal properties... blah blah blah." I mean, okay, you've got this stinger thing, and it is going to take some heat from the smoke. In my mind, this just causes condensation and I don't dig it. But hey, lots of people really like the stinger 'woodies, so it's working for someone.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I thought I'd add an observation about the kaywoodies . The stinger gets in the way it seems but I find that with the American OTCs' like Cherry blend and Walnut etc ... the stinger dosent mess with the draw so much . I think cuts like cherry blend are super easy to light and keep lit and the Kaywoodie works perfect w/ those types of blends . If I smoke cherry blend in a pipe thats got a wide open draw .. it's almost to much .

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You know Ruff, I'll second the motion, but in a sideways way. I'm convinced that pipe traditions and tobacco traditions match. You get small pipes where the tobacco tradition is strong flake (England), you get big cavernous pipes and weak-ass gloopy tobacco (Denmark). The Canadian tradition (Brigham) is larger pipes with filters, perfect for the goopy black cavendish based "Canadian" type blends (you have to be up here to know what this means, but every tobacconist has the same stuff here). It's no accident. So give me the Carter Hall or the Walnut, and give me a Kaywoodie to smoke it in, I suppose.

ruffinogold likes this.
  7. alchemist

alchemist Member

With all due apologies to the many dedicated "Drinkless" fans out there, I always found the very word a turn-off. I use pipe cleaners liberally, during and after every smoke. So all of my smokes are "drinkless," and it owes to no metal fitting. Actually, I do not want any metal of any kind in or on my pipe -- no inserts, fittings, or decorative trim. I want to smoke a pipe, not a plumbing fixture, and I know how to get a dry smoke out of a well-engineered and simple pipe without aid of any contrivance beyond a few pipe cleaners. That is the hygienic way to smoke, and also the truest, cleanest, and best-tasting. Filters are revolting, and stingers are revolting plus annoying. My heirs will find none of those in my collection. What they will find are great-smoking pipes.

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  8. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

What he said....

9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I think KW makes as good an entry level pipe you can find in that price range IMHO. But I think the best smoking experience comes from a pipe with no obstructions, paper or metal. So imagine my delight in finding that KW still makes an unfiltered pipe. I bought 2 Saxons and they smoke right nice, thank you. I use the old stuff, light and puff "technique", so occasionally I goof and find it necessary to run a pipe cleaner thru to open it up and I prefer not to remove the stem till things cool down.

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have one Kaywoodie. It is an estate pipe. From the 50's -60's era. I left the Stinger in there. Without it my stem will not screw on. I guess I could cut it at the screw point? I just preferred not to. No preference as to how it smokes, Beale.

11. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have one kaywoodie w/ a stinger & the one thing I notice is the bowl gets very hot. Not my cup of tea so to speak

12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Not all Kaywoodies have stingers and not all stingers are alike. KW makes awesome smoking & looking & feeling "Handmades" and I'll put them up against any Dunhill I have. These KW's have a standard mortise-tenon joint like the majority of pipes out there, no threads, no metal. I prefer "no metal/no filter" in the smoke passages of my pipes. Yes, I do have a few KW's with stingers and for grins, I "bobbed" the stinger (leaving the threaded portion intact) and she smokes fine, now she'll take a pipecleaner if I wish or I can break her down (when hot) and just blow the moisture out, either way works. On non-KW pipes that have removable stingers/filters, they get removed.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.