• Transactions are solely between buyer and seller. Pipe Smokers Forum does not assume or accept any responsibility in any disputes.
pipesmokersforum.com

Sold: The Pipe (tm)

I've told this story before, but will again. A long while back at a local B&M a man came in who very proudly exclusively smoked Brylons, and yes--'The-Pipe."
His collection consisted of all the different colors, and they made him very happy. That's all that counts. He had smoked Briars, Meers, and cobs through time, but developed a fondness for these types of pipes. For me it was another lesson learned in life that everyone has different likes, and dislikes, and I(we) need to remember that. I can still remember how happy that guy was as he showed me several he had in his bag.
I figured as long as was happy--heck I could be happy with, and for the guy. I never cared for the Brylon pipes, and have never owned, or smoked one of "The-Pipe's". However out there some place is another person just like the guy I met who is enjoying them.

wooda2008

Underwater Basketweaver
May I ask why you hate it so much?

Too bad p120d16y is not around -- he loved The Pipe.
Honestly, it's the only pipe I could not learn how to drive. I put 50+ bowls through it and got close, but I did not have the finesse to get a good, bite free smoke from it. I would forget myself for a moment, take too big a out and fry my tongue.

The pipe is what it is. I shouldn't hate it, but I do resent it for how I couldn't matter it.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
I remember when these were introduced. The ad copy and hype made them sound incredible. They were like, you know, the future. I really, really wanted one. But they were pricey and I couldn't afford one. A few years back I did get one. (Thanks eBay) It's not bad, but it's not really the future of pipe smoking. Mine is packed in a box with other spare pipe "stuff."

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
I've never heard of a plastic pipe before. I'd expect it to pass every bit off humidity right through into your mouth? maybe some keystone filter stones would help?
I guess you can say "plastic" but as I recall it was actually a graphite material developed for the nose cones of missiles -- that is the reason at the time it seemed so "modern" and "the future."

JRobert

Serious Cat
Staff member
Forum Guide
I guess you can say "plastic" but as I recall it was actually a graphite material developed for the nose cones of missiles -- that is the reason at the time it seemed so "modern" and "the future."
http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
In 1963, one of the workers at Super-Temp was machining pyrolytic graphite sleeves and cups for nuclear power plant plumbing. An avid pipe smoker, he noticed that the cups he was working on were about the same size as his pipe bowl. On a whim, he drilled a hole near the bottom of one of the cups and stuck it in his pipe. It smoked quite well and he shared his discovery with management.
Meanwhile, the shells were created by an outside supplier with compression molded phenolic resin, a material similar to Bakelite.