1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

the pipes are calling...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Twan013, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twan013

Twan013 Member

"Oh twanny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling......"

its a song fitting in many ways. i think its originally about death, and i'm supposed to be dying to (or from?) the pipes and forgetting about them.. but then again, they're really calling me! of course it doesn't help when i come to my bedroom and am attacked with the aroma of smoked maple street. pure heaven!! and then i look over at my desk seeing tins and used pipe cleaners, and even my golf tee with a burnt end that i use as a tamper.. hehe, my paraphernalia...

and then of course i get on PSF to check for updates on those wanting my pipes, and people are more concerned about losing me than taking my pipes.. i continue to browse around "for the heck of it", and read about Ed's cobless weekend, and it makes me regret never smoking a cob.

in short, IM DEPRESSED!!!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Without offending you Twan, your best bet is to quickly get rid of your stuff, and stop coming here, or other pipe smoking "havens". I'm not gonna mention names, but I've watched smokers become collectors become obsessives become divorced obsessives. I've seen guys work 60 hour weeks to afford 5 new pipes a month. I've actually intentionally ignored requests for pipes from people whom I know have a problem with their budget and or their lifestyle.

If you are quitting, it's bad enough. But you are quitting even though you don't want to. We are a bad influence for such a person. I mean it.

If you are done with pipes, and wanna keep your woman happy, get the heck outta here.

Smoking pipes is a nice pastime, and highly enjoyable to some. Best you find something else to enjoy that isn't gonna rack up your family life.

3. erickghint

erickghint Member

I agree with Sas on this one. Not that I would like to see you go, not at all in fact. It's like being a coke addict, though. You wouldn't want to hang around old coke buddies if you're trying to go straight. It makes it hard as hell. If you haven't already sent everything out and gotten all of your pipe stuff in order, PM those that are receiving your pipe stuff and have them send updates and whatnot to your email instead of PMing you here. Plus if you keep coming back, people are going to tell you that we miss you. That's not a load of bull**** either. It sucks some major ass to see someone go.

4. Twan013

Twan013 Member

I know what you guys mean. its just even harder when there is no rational reason as to why its such a horrible thing.

i just seriously doubt that I'm going to die from second hand smoke. and if i do, our kids will be long gone and out on their own by that time.

5. erickghint

erickghint Member

Well, for you it would be first hand smoke. Second hand would be those around you. There's an irrational fear of smoking, due to all the literature out there against it. It may be propaganda, it may not be. I'm not really sure... I mean, obviously it's not great for you, but in moderation it's not horrible. McDonnald's is worse for you than a bowl of tobacco. Clogged arteries vs. effects of nicotine on the system. Meh... just another stimulant like caffeine, although more addictive. Even sitting in traffic is bad for you, not to mention living in a big city. And don't even get me started on......

At any rate, I'm going to stop there before I offend anyone. Things like this get me all in the mood to debate and argue, and that's not going to be good. I can be convincing, and I tend to play devil's advocate.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Sas is actually right - when you give a thing up you have to change your lifesyle, the places you hang out and the people you hang it out with, because they are part of the "Old Life" and these things hold you to the past.

Try not to see it as the end of smoething, try to see it as part of something new and better and more importantly something you have chosen for yourself which is going to make you happy and get you the things, life and people you want.

We are "Yesterday's Men" - you don't need us; pick up your kit bag and march smartly off to the new bright future.

Good Luck man and goodbye!

With all best wishes

Gerry

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Twan, box 'em up and get 'em out of sight! Or send them out to those you are generously giving them to, asap. Once your girl sees you've made that commitment, she'll see how dedicated you are to the relationship. Now, it's her turn to reward you and fill that void where piping used to be. Never take any habit or coping mechanism or pastime away from someone without helping them replace it with another..........so the ball will be in your AND your girl's court. If you really withdraw from not smoking a pipe badly, she'll see what it's doing to you and she'll pick up on it........that is if she's connected to you mentally and emotionally. Otherwise, it's a power thing and you are losing.

I wasn't going to say this but I feel that I must, if she's this way before you are married, how's it going to be afterwards? Be a man T! Don't crumble and bow down. Be you! She'll love you more for that.

Just my 3-cents

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

I wasn't going to say it either, but Puff opened the bag. I was married once, for about 6 years. That girl tried to change everything about me, and I didn't even see it happening. I was blinded, and worse, no one stepped in and warned me. She tried to change the way I dress, who my friends were, my hobbies, everything I tell you. I was miserable once I realized what had happened, and what I had become. Ended that relationship, and went and "found myself". Spent a couple of years figuring out who I was again, and when I got together with the girl I am with now, I told her straight out, I am me, do not try and change me. Fortunately, she respects me for who I am, only God knows why, but she does. :thumb:

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

"The lightbulb has to really want to change."

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/8977

Powerful suggestions and implications here...

The zen of pipes, baby.

The zen of life.

Find your center.

[​IMG]

10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

He is called Puff the Magic for a reason.

Something to seriously consider man. You need to be comfortable being you to be comfortable with those you surround yourself with. There is something worse that being alone, and that is being with people who make you feel alone.

Ugh, there is no way to type this without coming accross as some sort of jerk.

...Please, make sure you are quitting for yourself, not for her. Otherwise seeds of resentment could be sown...

11. Stoked

Stoked Member

Today's American woman. Was it like this before "feminism"? Do many modern women seek to control men and are too many men conceding for the wrong reasons? Serious questions for all men to ponder.

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Roseanne Barr said, "You have to give a man his fantasies so you can control his reality."

13. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Just wanted to wish you the best Twan. In my very short time on this site, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you are making the right decision for yourself, and your future family. I have been married for a few years now and I understand sometimes you have to do something you don't want to do. I don't have a problem doing that though because my wife does the same thing for me. Hopefully it is the same with you and your fiance. Here's to the 2 of you and your life together... :thumb:

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I will also give a big +1 for what Puff said.
    If you know it's the right thing to do, then
    do it! Just stash one pipe deeply away in
    case...I will say no more.

dp

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

No matter what your decision is, be YOU and nobody elses idea of what you're supposed to be. :thumb:

16. erickghint

erickghint Member

See, everyone's kinda saying what I wanted to... I just didn't want anyone getting all pissed at me. Puff has it right, though. Irrationality isn't going to go away just because you guys get married, and what else is she going to have these irrational tohughts about? I'm not trying to make you guys split, or even have you think about that... I'm just saying that the thoughts and stuff don't change at all. Sometimes they get worse. At any rate, this time I'm really going to keep my mouth shut, because I could go on for days about this. Really gets to me when people act that way for no reason, and won't listen to rational thought.

17. rusty

rusty Member

Iv been married for nearly 28 years twan, and whatever Iv wanted to do my wife has been behind me, she doesnt stop me trying a new hobbie. When I asked her why she never did, she replied, as long as your happy, then I am too. Im wondering if there is scope for negotiation with your pipes?

18. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I agree with Puff but I just wanted to add that we think of pipe smoking as a benign pleasure. An alcoholic thinks the same thing about a few nips. If something is trouble in the relationship, you remove it and go on from there. If another thing turns out to be trouble that you have to change....then there's ongoing trouble with a capital T afoot.

Twan hasn't mentioned that anything else is on the table. Based on the limited evidence, if all she wants him to do is give up smoking and that's the only deal breaker, the decision is obvious. If this is a manipulation game where one thing leads to another... it's a sign of things to come and Twan won't win. None of us except the OP has enough facts to judge.

Tough spot for Twan, who is probably reading this, and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. My wife hated cigarettes so I switched to the pipe. She's not entirely happy but she is supportive. If the fiancee sees how much pleasure the pipe gives him, she may relent. There are plenty of worse vices. That's not a hope to hold on to though if she's very strongly against it (and nothing else). Either sh** or get off the pot.

So, if you're serious, stop stopping by, Twan. I know how much pleasure a pipe, and thinking about pipes, gives you but faced with two choices do you want the lady or the pipe? If you want the pipe, there's something wrong with the lady. If you want the lady, there is something wrong with the pipe. It's a tough choice I'm lucky enough that I don't have to make.

Best wishes.
    WK

19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I guess if you got kids you gotta do what you gotta do . If it were no kids and you're not Catholic then I'd say get another woman :D good luck

20. Jay

Jay Active Member

Rusty nailed it. That is the way it should be. It is here. Amen brother.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.