1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The right size bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nightcap, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

In my personal experience, putting a big bold tobacco, in a giant deep bowl, really accentuates the tobacco. As with a more subtle tobacco, having a smaller "more sophisticated" size bowl to smoke out of, really brings out the nuances. This was made very clear to me one day as I was smoking a bowl of some lighter Virginia/Oriential, GL Pease something or other and had never noticed the citrus flavors they talked about until using a smaller bowl. Suddenly there they were. It was like discovering a second moon. The right temperature is also a factor too. Now I smoke all my heavy tobaccos in "Hercules" bowls and my lighter tobaccos in smaller bowls. One day I plan on starting from scratch and buying several Hercules pipes and several smaller Savinelli or Stanwells. (Don't tell my wife!)
    I have so limited my arsenal down to favorites that I JUST NEED MORE OF THE SAME PIPES!
    (You have two pipes exactly the same why do you need a third??? Why now a fourth??? Ehem..... HOW many purses do you own with shoes to match??? (Pissed off silence......))

Jayson H Bucy, ATXPipe and shadow like this.

2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I'll have to give that a try. Usually I calibrate my bowl size to nicotine content but it sounds like your method is at least worth the "college try". Luckily I'm a member of the (unofficial and unaffiliated) pipesmokersforum.com pipe of the week club, and have accrued meers, falcons, cobs and kaywoodies in everything from a Dunhill size I/II to V so I won't have to go shopping.

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

I feel for you! But you can NEVER have enough pipes! There's always one more you might wanna get, even if you're up to your eyeballs in Briar!:D
    As for bowl size it certainly makes sense to dedicate different sizes to different tobaccos.
    I myself keep the smaller bowls just for Flakes and the bigger ones for ribbon cuts.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The right bowl size = the bigger the better! :D

- DM (Group 6 is Barely Adequate) Kerr.

Max Gunner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.