The taste of nicotine

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Hi all,

So I've been a full fledged pipe smoker for about 9 months now and have gotten to try a lot of tobacco in that time. In my (current) final analysis, though, I have noted that all my favorites are relatively high on the nicotine scale. Here's an example of my favorites

Irish flake
    nightcap
    10 russians
    briar fox
    ABF
    sunday picnic

Those are the flavors i crave and all of them (except the picnic) could make me dizzy if i smoke them to the bottom strong and steady, although usually they do not.

What I'm wondering is if there is some treatment that determines the nicotine level and if that may have an effect on the flavor or smoking component of the experience? Or am I just addicted to nicotine? :P

2. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I think you're probably just addicted to nicotine. :p
    That being said, nicotine content varies by tobacco type, although I don't see any pipe tobacco producers chemically altering the nicotine content like cigarette manufacturers do. Doing so would be inefficient and costly, as the way pipe tobacco is generally used isn't a very efficient mode of delivering nicotine. Nicotine itself doesn't have any smell or flavor, IIRC.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nicotine is like caffeine - flavorless and odorless.

Burley tobacco, the main component in most if not all of the tobaccos you listed, is very high in nicotine. You're probably just addicted to nicotine, but that doesn't mean you aren't loving the taste of your tobaccos. It's just that the correlation is burley-to-nicotine, rather than taste-to-nicotine.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

It's possible to test for nicotine content via titration, but it's complicated and somewhat dangerous. Better to just smoke it and judge for yourself.
    Don't overlook SG 1792, Dunhill Royal Yacht, and GH Bird's-Eye or Dark Flake in your nicotine quest; they can be fairly zippy.

5. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Yea, I'm not sure nicotine is the point for me though. The peculiar thing was that a lot of the flavors i liked were also attached to these nic heavy blends. Guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles, but i suspect dmkerr has a point and that it most likely has something to do with the burley, although i didn't realize it was in 10 russians, IF, or briar fox

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Is Briar Fox any good? That is the only one on your list I have not tried and I like all the other ones you have listed.

7. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

I purchased an electronic cigarette last year because I travel a lot and get trapped in a lot of hotels where smoking isn't an option. Being a non-inhaling pipe smoker I was excited to see that there were several pipe flavored "vaping" liquids. They are available with low, medium, high and no nicotine, so I decided to go with the no nicotine "juices", seeing how I don't inhale anyway. Man were they ever flat. I later purchased some of the same flavors with low nicotine and that made all the difference in the world. I guess that even though I wasn't inhaling I was still getting some absorption through my mouth after all.

8. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Briar fox is one of the most satisfying tobaccos in all aspects that I have encountered. A total pleasure to load burn and taste. Has a slight molasses taste going on maybe, but the flavor deepens beautifully towards the end of the bowl. Comes in a cake format that crumbles easily without need of a knife. Dryness is inevitably perfect for immediate smoking.

It's something i stockpile and receiving a pound of it in the C&D tin is pretty incredible just to see how its packed. It's stacked, long brownies like those Italian biscotti cookies, packed tight.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any virginia fan.

9. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I tend to gravitate towards the heavier-N blends myself...not simply because I want nicotene. I find a correlation, real or perceived, between a very flavourful smoke and a high nicotene content. Perhaps it's just the high burley content in the blends I smoke. I think this is why I don't enjoy aromatics (even good quality ones) as find I'm left wanting something of more substance...something meatier? Would I enjoy the blends I like as much if it weren't for the nicotene? I'm not so sure as I've become quite fond of the affects over time.

The blends I adore and stock heavily:

Peterson Irish Flake
    GH Dark Flake Unscented
    C&D Old Joe Krantz
    C&D Burley Flake #3
    Esoterica Stonehaven
    Dunhill Royal Yacht
    SG Bracken Flake
    GLP Haddo's Delight

While I certainly enjoy some latakia blends (GLP Chelsea Morning, Dunhill Nightcap, Balkan Sasieni), I don't find them as satisfying. I'll usually grab a smaller pipe after and fill it up with some OJK to make all well....kind of like a chaser!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.