The Ultimate "My Pipe Won't Stay Lit!" Thread

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Mister Moo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Consider filling and lighting technique. The fill should be even and evenly compressed; it appears you're compacting the edge of the fill more than the center. A good fill (and a big help for a good smoke) is revealed when you brush the match (or whatever) across and around the top of the newly-filled bowl. The entire bowl should light completely and, more or less, uniformly. After it fluffs up and is given an initial tamp the relight should be complete across the top of the chamber. As you puff to light, dance your flame around the bowl and see if the entire top fires up. If yes, good fill; if no, pay more attention to the next fill.

If your pipe gets swampy at the heel, make ure you start with a dry pipe. Use less tobacco for a while to improve your technique. Let a wad of loose tobacco dry out for 30-60 minutes pre-smoke if it's too moist.

ajvan and gd9704 like this.

2. gd9704

gd9704 Member

Ahhh.....next time I will use my tamper when packing, and will be sure to use even pressure all around. I've been using my thumb, and probably concentrating on the edges. Thanks for the wisdom.

3. gd9704

gd9704 Member

Ugh...last time I was this frustrated I was trying to hit a little white ball with a driver....last 2 days I've: dried tobacco before filling, used less, packed more lightly.....it DID burn more evenly, but-pipe got too hot...take 3 minute break-it goes out. Probably 7 re-lights for today's bowl. REALLY taking the enjoyment out of it for me....how you guys go all the way through a bowl w/o a relight is beyond me...and 10 minutes between puffs????? C'mon!!!!!!

4. Mister Moo

Relight and relax. It comes to you after a while.

Oh. I had a witness on Club Blend in a Paul's Cayuga going seven minutes the other day. :toast: You're next. Not to worry.

5. gd9704

gd9704 Member

Sorry for the angry outburst. Like golf, I expected to get better with time and practice....I gave up golf 3 years ago.....I don't want to be a quitter with the pipe, too.

sonarman likes this.
  6. Mister Moo

Oh crap! Pipe rage! :beyes:

Hey - there's no rushing around here. FWIW, when something isn't working, make a little change and see what happens. Speaking as a non-mutant pipesmoker it probably took me a year to get it mostly working and more than two years to figure out a lot of the details. It seems easy enough to jam a wad of tobacco in a pipe and get an easy smoke these days but I remembering thinking that flake tobcco was a trick, a waste of time, unsmokeable, probably invented by the same guy who invented golf. It isn't that hard, though. ;)

7. cowboyflyfisher

cowboyflyfisher Member

I recently started trying the "air pocket" method, and have had great success with it, particularly in cobs. I get 90-95% burned every time. Even the Peterson Connoisseurs Choice (one of the two aromatics I like) I usually have problems with stayed lit. When I notice the smoke getting thin I take a few longer drags in a row to get it going again.
    I'm not saying that's how to do it, just what works for me. The Nording I picked up for $40 seems to keep everything lit like magic. I don't know if it's easier to pack, or if it's something about the pipe.

Also, thanks for the reply Mister Moo, good to know.

GD, I gave up golf after spending a frustrating summer at the driving range. Smoking a pipe takes less time t learn and is way more enjoyable!

gd9704 likes this.
  8. rphillips

rphillips Member

This thread was just what I needed. I hit some rough points in life and for the last couple of years all my pipes and tobacco has been boxed up and buried in storage. Finally pulling things out I've spent the last two months with one unsatisfying smoke after the other. It seems that after 2 years I'd forgotten everything I know about smoking a pipe. Reading through here though refreshed my brain of all those little details I'd learned in the past and I am once again smoking with bliss.

9. Mister Moo

Such are the results of a life of service to fellow pipers. :D

Bravo, rphillips.

ChristTiger and mecompco like this.
  10. tdog

tdog Member

as new pipe smoker finding a lot of the forums helpful tdog thanks

mecompco and jdto like this.
  11. Mister Moo

Another pipe miracle! Puff on.

mecompco likes this.
  12. tdog

tdog Member

thankyou tdog l have a son who is27 and he took up smoking the pipe at the same time its been great trying out new tobbaco together

ChristTiger and mecompco like this.
  13. sonarman

sonarman Member

I'm in a rut again. After not smoking a pipe for the summer I started again and had sweet smoke after sweet smoke. Now I am back to hot wet and harsh. I'm guessing its my pipes. I have 10 and rotate each day smoking 2 bowls at most. I was able to smoke slightly springy tobacco but I think I am going to go back to the dry as bone method. Frustrating to have it and lose it.

14. Mister Moo

It comes back. It always comes back.

ChristTiger likes this.
  15. sonarman

sonarman Member

Back to the basics. I read through this thread again and took "Dads Advice" drier, softer, slower. Success! Flakes are still an enigma but I'll get there one day.

sunnycyde and mecompco like this.
  16. Mister Moo

Basics: ba da bing.

Flakes, fold, screw and stuff. None easier on earth to smoke than MacBaren's:

Vanilla Cream Flake
    Navy Flake
    Mixture Flake

They all benefit from a little breathing time after the lid is popped but smoke easily right out the tin.

ajvan, mecompco and sonarman like this.
  17. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Good Lord in heaven… 2min between puffs! 3 min… 5 min… 7 min…
    10 MIN!!!

You guys would think I'm a crack head!!! I puff prob 5-10 a min! 4-5 and the bowl still stay cool for me. If I leave it for 90 sec it's dead? Especially without stoking it?!? WOW!!!
    Maybe one day but I don't know.
    I'm a cig smoker too though. (Trying without success to quit)
    I just don't get it ?!?

God bless and
    Happy:puffy:

browny likes this.
  18. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Some will agree some may disagree,but if your a new pipe smoker the key is to take your time.A cool smoke is better than a hot smoke.
    If your pipe goes out,just relight it with a match or lighter.If you try too hard to keep pipe lit,your going to get bit and pipe hot.Seasoned cured briar can burn easier than unseasoned briar so don't burn up your new high dollar pipe,if new you can burn briar or flash burn chamber.
    I've seen many seasoned pipe smokers.One Dr. Bob after 20 years would relight when he wanted serveral puffs.I seen him relight up too 10-15 times a bowl,but he smoked big bowls.Now another old dog liked to smoke until ash,but some do not like dottle,depends on blend.Dottle can taste rather nasty and it's not for smoking,dump that _ out.
    A good light in the beginning,then a light tamp,take your time it will taste much better.If pipe goes out who cares,just relight it when you want more tobacco taste.You can always empty pipe and start over.Smaller pipes seem to be good to learn on vrs a huge teeth yanker.
    Here's a few tips,it's better to have too dry of tobacco than too wet,too loose of a pack then too tight,for your tobacco will dampen as you smoke it,and you'll soon learn about tobacco moistness and how to tamp.
    Get a blend from Russ at pipes and cigars,you'll think it's too dry but tins and some blends are very wet for shipping and storage,but Russ is a Pro at blending and he ships out his blends so you can smoke right out of bag.
    Even if you don't like blend it'll give you an idea on how too wet some blends get shipped from overseas,but that is needed because that's their casing.Casing does add flavor so it can go out wet from that blender.
    The only time you want pipe not to go out.if your in a contest and you get an amount of cubes and two matches.Last one smoking wins and it's just for fun.1st one done usually gets tongue bit.

just5042 likes this.
  19. roberted5

roberted5 Member

I think the point I was trying to make was smoke the pipe the way you enjoy it.Don't worry if it goes out needs a tamp,if you need to start over,or you relight 30 times a bowl.Only you know what your taste buds like or dislike.

conroygc likes this.
  20. User5385

User5385 Member

Great post Mister Moo. Having just started smoking a pipe, keeping the pipe lit has been quite difficult for me. It sounds like there is some great advice here that I'm going to have to enforce in my smoking habits.