The Ultimate "My Pipe Won't Stay Lit!" Thread

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Mister Moo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Patrick Ohl

Patrick Ohl New Member

Gentlemen, I am a brand-new pipe smoker and a complete amateur. I've smoked about eight or nine bowls... or, rather, attempted to smoke them. For some frustrating reason, I had to keep relighting constantly and even then I couldn't get a decent, even smoke out of it. The comments throughout this thread were most helpful. I loosened up on the packing, slowed down my rate of puffing, and lo and behold, it actually worked for me this time! I went nearly 10 minutes at a time without having to relight the pipe, which for me was a revelation. The tobacco was far more evenly smoked this time too, although there's still room for improvement. Still, it was quite an enjoyable experience. Thanks to all for the helpful pointers.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Another Festivus miracle! Glad you found some tips to improve the experience.

Mr Fingers and thedismaltrade like this.
  3. datto

datto Member

Hi guys, I'm a newbie too. I couldn't keep my pipes lit all the time unless I puff every 30sec. It goes off if I didn't puff for a minute. Probably because I suck in packing. And I find that smaller bowl pipe is harder to stay lit. Correct me if I'm wrong. Actually I didn't find it frustrating having to relight many times as I didn't pay too much attention to it while I'm doing something else and I didn't puff when I don't feel like to.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Mister Moo

Packing any bowl too tightly can make it harder to keep things burning; loose-ish fill and a few gentle tamps now and then may be the ticket - although it sounds like you're doing great.

Tompf and gd9704 like this.
  5. boston

boston Member

I find I have to keep air moving through it to keep it lit with short puffs in rapid succession, but even then the cherry doesn't stay lit. The tobacco I got (my first) is some vanilla tobacco, and it strikes me as being a touch damp. It's all black as night. I have been following the "fill the bowl, tamp to half, fill the bowl, tamp to 3/4" method, but I'm not impressed with it. I suppose I just have to keep messing with it.

6. Mister Moo

Something from a big glass jar loaded with PG and feels a little greasy? It may never dry out or burn well. Try some other blends and be wary of the big glass jars as a general rule.

7. boston

boston Member

That's exactly what I got. It came out of a big jar at the tobacco shop. A month or more later and it's still not dry. Lesson learned. :P

8. Mister Moo

I'm not saying good stuff to smoke can't come out of a glass jar at a B&M but you need a good (pipe smoking) tobacconist to direct you or you'll make a lot of goofs to find a few good ones. I avoid the jars because they're too PG-soggy and mostly aromatic burley which is not to my taste.

9. dlind0525

dlind0525 Member

Nice post. This was frustrating to me at first, but more and more I am relighting less and less

10. Jwb

Jwb Member

What finally worked for me is I do the first pack with my little finger and work my way up ring, middle and fore. The fore finger is the hardest but still springy. Your mileage may vary!

11. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

Some tobaccos I smoke only need 3 or 4 relights but I find Samuel Gawith 1792 particularly difficult to keep lit.
    Even the char light takes an age, such that the flint wheel gets too hot to strike.
    I've tried smoking it in flake form, rubbed out and 'really' rubbed out. The tobacco is no longer the excessively moist flake, so typical of SG, but tried out.
    Does anyone else struggle with SG1792 and if so what is the secret to enjoying it?

12. gd9704

gd9704 Member

Just checking in to report my progress. I have improved greatly since my last meltdown earlier in this thread. :bag:

Like Mr. Moo always suggests, I'm finding that using less tobacco than I would like to stuff in the bowl works well, and packing just until I feel a bit of restriction in the draw is helpful. Gentle tamps.

In fact, the less time and thought I put into my bowl packing, the better I seem to do.

Also, trying to learn to smoke a pipe using matches was not a good idea for me. A plain old Bic lighter reduces the frustration level when my pipe isn't cooperating and needs several re-lights.

Things are getting better, and I'm getting to where I'm enjoying most every bowl.

Thanks for the help!

ajvan, pleth, Tompf and 1 other person like this.
  13. Mister Moo

1792, like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and a few others, comes out of the tin dense, leathery and a little on the moist side. Personally I prefer 1792 bulk because it usually comes ready to smoke (a bit more dry than the tinned version). Let a few flakes sit out for a few hours or, even, overnight. If you bend flake in half and it is ready to fracture, splinter or even snap it is dry. Even a bit too dry it smokes very well. Crumble it up, tamp it lightly in the pipe and set it afire; within a few moments it'll soften, compress nicely and burn well.

Alternate. Fresh from the tin it's hard to light and keep alight. Rub it out good, moosh it in your pipe and top with dried out crumbs of (whatever) tobacco to be it going. 1972 will, by the way, ghost a pipe pretty well.

14. matthew12

matthew12 New Member

This is great, thanks for sharing this tips, really helps...

15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Beware goopy tobaccos. You want it moist but not too moist. In otherwords, you want it dry but not so dry that it crumbles. Hope that makes sense.

16. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience, but for me, I found it a lot harder to learn how to smoke from a briar pipe than I did a corncob pipe. When I first started the briars, the tobacco would tend to get really moist at the bottom of the bowl, which would plug up the hole and make it difficult to puff. More often than not I had to take the tobacco out and repack it.

I don't know if it has something to do with the sizeof the hole at the bottom or if it's just because corn cob is more porous and therefore more absorbent but I just found a cob a LOT easier to smoke from when I first got started.

Just something for the newbies to think about.

jaysmokespipes likes this.
  17. dlind0525

dlind0525 Member

Yesterday I saw a guy on a Harley puffing away on a pipe. I have trouble keeping my baccy lit on the back porch and this guy is just cruising around on a bike. Show off.

Tompf and jhelms like this.
  18. mattmv

mattmv Member

I dont know about you all......but I like to relight my pipe. But, I cant stand refilling my zippo all the time!!!

redneckviking likes this.
  19. Mister Moo

Remove the insert on your Zippo and wipe the sides with a light coating of Vaseline. It will better seal the reservoir, retard fuel evaporation and greatly extend the time between refills.

Also, the small hole in the felt is for storing a spare flint.

20. dlind0525

dlind0525 Member

Well I'll be...I always wondered about that hole. As for constantly refilling, I like it. It makes me look like a stunt man or a magician with my hands catching fire and whatnot

Latakialover and ChristTiger like this.