The Unbiased Truth About Carter Hall

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by DGErwin11, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Recently there have been many posts about the greatness that is Carter Hall. Some have been almost cult like in their devotion to this fine "Old Codger Blend".

While I have not been shy in expressing my appreciation of this great old standby, I doubt it is the bestest tobacco ever. But it is so good, I have no desire to search for that which I might not find.

I will leave it to the more refined among you to dissect its flavor, body, room note. etc.

What it is, is a simple uncomplicated smoke. All one needs to do is to open a pouch or tub (preferred), load, light and enjoy. No time consuming preparation, no fancy loading/packing techniques. Just the good old codger scoop.

Smoking a bowl of CH will not be a transcendental experience, just a simple pleasure.

Oh, and try it with a cup old good old fashioned regular coffee or tea.

Tully76, Mabradley65, TedVig and 40 others like this.

2. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I really like CH in a cob with a cup of coffee. A cob is the only way I can smoke any kind of burley blend, since I normally can't stand burley. Cobs were made for CH, it's the best combo.:D

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I mostly use it as a mixer, but occasionally on it's own - although its a bit mild, and burns away too quickly!
    OT

hoss, dBear, YAPPG and 2 others like this.
  4. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I like it because it is simple and consistent. I know what I'm in for when I load a cob full of CH, a good simple smoke. It's not like smoking a bowl full of cherry covered vanilla ice cream, it's like smoking tobacco. I will say when I open a pouch (since Doug has ALL the tubs) is it smells like dark chocolate and a slight hint of anise, very good things indeed...

dBear, YAPPG, Lithua pipe and 2 others like this.
  5. Gregory Rowe

Gregory Rowe Member

Agreed! Carter Hall is a straightforward, uncomplicated smoke. And that's why I love it. Pipe smoking is not a hobby to me. I smoke a pipe because I like tobacco! And Carter Hall tastes like tobacco! Shock!!! I don't smoke a pipe so I can reflect on the meaning of life or ponder the origins of the universe or contemplate what women really want or any other GREAT mystery. I smoke a pipe because I like tobacco! And Carter Hall satisfies! It's as simple as that.

6. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

It makes for a quick smoke in my cob (the only pipe I smoke it in) and it certainly does go well with a mug of black coffee. Enjoyable.

YAPPG and Lithua pipe like this.
  7. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I don't recall ever having smoked CH, but based on the banter here I have ordered a pouch. Resently I tried PA and have found it worthy of a tub order. Prior the only codger burley I smoked was SWR. I like SWR ok, but have always had a mental block with the cut and consistancy as it reminds me of kitty litter.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Even though I would not expect the thread title from the poster :D, I have to say Doug nailed it. I don't smoke CH but the description fits a number of tobaccos I do smoke, so I understand where he's coming from. Sometimes simple pleasures work best.

TedVig likes this.
  9. DGErwin11

Actually, I think Gregory nailed it even better than I did.

YAPPG, Ozark Nick and JRobert like this.
  10. esteban

esteban Active Member

Good baccy that Carter Hall....Dam, I wish I could smoke a pipe & figure out what women really want. I mean other than sex, money, adoration, security, shoes, purses, makeup, understanding,pampering, and devotion. If I ever see a cute one smokin a cob with carter hall in it, I will have to ask her to marry me....Perhaps a trip to Kentucky or North Carolina is in order

11. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I ALWAYS have a pouch of Carter Hall on hand. Have had for about 25 years now, even through my 10 year hiatus from tobacco, there was a fresh pouch in my desk drawer.
    Is it the worlds best tobacco?
    Nope.
    Is it my favorite tobacco?
    Nope.
    Do I smoke it every day?
    Nope.

What it is, is...
    An old familiar, and reliable smoke, that is just as good, and just as consistent, as it was when I smoked my first bowl.
    If CH was the only tobacco available to me, I wouldn't complain.

12. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I think you both nailed it pretty good.

Personally I find I just don't enjoy a pipe very much when I have to think overly much about it. I love the taste of Carter Hall, and I love that I don't have to think about it very much.

My best smokes to date have been me puffing on my pipe while engaging in some other (light) activity.

dBear likes this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

If all I knew about or had access to, CH would be my every day smoke. Good stuff. Best OTC ever!:thu2:

Salcheech likes this.
  14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I know the subject here is CH, but you guys just summed-up why I love SWR. CH is one of the few blends I'll go to when I can't find SWR.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Waiting for the unbiased part. :confused:

Doug, that's a great post. I've never had Carter Hall, I'll have to get somone to send me a little sample. The "American" OTC tobaccos haven't been available widely in Canada for a long time - Prince Albert etc just don't get imported anymore. We get Sail and Amphora as our corner store tobaccos, and Captain Black.

It's easy to write off these older un-fancy blends as garbage in this day and age - we have access to so much good stuff, and the idea that it needs to come in a fancy tin at ahuge expense to be an enjoyable tobacco is certainly wrong.

rigormootis, MacNutz, Moose and 2 others like this.
  16. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

To go along the lines of what RTO said, this is why I love CH, PA and SWR. No b.s, no fuss, no gloop, no faffing about; just pack, light and enjoy. Tried and tested, favourite trio of tobaccos bar none :puffy:

RTOdhner likes this.
  17. DGErwin11

But Sas, did you not refer to it as "lawn clippings" somewhere else?:ohyh:

Brit abroad, Mington and Old Ted like this.
  18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

just goes to show - how you need a good memory around here!:ohyh:

19. DGErwin11

But think about it. Sas's post reinforces my original post. I am sure there is someone who can recommend a blend to him that has similar characteristics. There is nothing magical about it. If it was not available, I am sure I could find a very suitable replacement. But it is available so I don't need to look.

bearwolf56 and Kiowapipe like this.
  20. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Personally, I find Carter Hall a bit overrated...

ArmyCW2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.