The Unbiased Truth About Carter Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooda2008

Underwater Basketweaver
Having finally tried CH, I can say after 1 bowl that it's pretty good. I puffed like a steam engine and it took the abuse and still tasted okay.
Can't say for sure, but I feel it's going to be what I pack for a little 15 minute smoke in the car. relights? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

It's a black coffee. A hamburger at the ball park. Meat and potatoes, no gravy.

MacNutz

yes, CH is the epitome of hands free thoughtless smoking pleasure. And it is a fine tasting smoke. Not greatly nuanced but just straight up burley tobacco with a very, very light topping. A perfect all day smoke for those who have the pipe in their face through out the day.
Just got a pouch of SWR from Ruffinogold and I like it just as much as I like the CH, for all the same reasons. In fact, I might like it just a wee bit more.
I raved so much about what the good mayor sent me that I managed to guilt my sister in Texas into agreeing to send me a couple of pouches every month, at my expense, of course.
Lately I go back and forth between the burley blends and the English style Lat bombs, usually saving the Russians and Pirate Kake for the later hours.

MacNutz

I'm confused. My Carter Hall has this smokey, fishy, sort of anchovy aroma at the start and progresses to an old sour gym sock sorta smell for the last half of the bowl...........oh, wait......crap I grabbed the Mixture 79 by mistake.

NEVER MIND!
ha, I got the big chuckle out of that. I didn't know where you were going with that until the end. Very good.

My buddy Fin, a 20-year cigarette smoker started smoking a pipe about a year ago and started with CH. He swears by it because its just that, Tobacco; no fuss, no muss, no perfume or waxy residue. Myself, I like some aromatics, but it's definitely acceptable.

**EDIT - After considering it for a few minutes, I've come to the conclusion that CH is like Pabst Blue Ribbon of pipe tobaccos. IPA's and Porters and Stouts are great but I would be perfectly fine drinking only PBR if that's all there was.

zacROK

I got an order of OTCs in yesterday and made short work of trying them out. I got Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. They all worked well and were simple straight forward smokes. I really preferred CH and H&H over the other two. I will be ordering CH and H&H again, but will happily enjoy SWR and PA until they run out.

yes, CH is the epitome of hands free thoughtless smoking pleasure. And it is a fine tasting smoke. Not greatly nuanced but just straight up burley tobacco with a very, very light topping. A perfect all day smoke for those who have the pipe in their face through out the day.
That sounds pretty much like the all time swedish classic Greve Gilbert Hamiltons Blandning. Must see if I can get hold of CH here just to try it out.

mitchell

Had my first smoke of CH today and enjoyed it very much. Was telling my father of it and he told me that his dad used CH for cigs, pipes, and on occasion chewed it. So in turn, I chewed a bit.... not too bad! Will keep a pouch around for sure.

For me, CH is like the sweets I have in my pocket, good for everyday use. I might prefer that Christmas turkey or the steak at a weekend but it's not going to stop me indulging in that pack of polos while waiting for the bus. If it was available in the UK at similar prices, too right I would be smoking it all the time.

I had my first bowl of CH the other day, to me it tasted like I was smoking Jersey Caramels (the sweets, don't know if you guys call them something different).
I could see this as a working or driving smoke perhaps, one where it doesn't matter if I tear through it at a million miles an hour, no need for concentration or care.
I wasn't a great fan, but I see where it could fit in!

Truer words never written, Doug. Sometimes though it's the simplest smokes that bring on the transcendental moments. I'm a late comer to Carter Hall, but now that I've found it, I imagine I'll always have some on hand.

Recently there have been many posts about the greatness that is Carter Hall. Some have been almost cult like in their devotion to this fine "Old Codger Blend".

While I have not been shy in expressing my appreciation of this great old standby, I doubt it is the bestest tobacco ever. But it is so good, I have no desire to search for that which I might not find.

I will leave it to the more refined among you to dissect its flavor, body, room note. etc.

What it is, is a simple uncomplicated smoke. All one needs to do is to open a pouch or tub (preferred), load, light and enjoy. No time consuming preparation, no fancy loading/packing techniques. Just the good old codger scoop.

Smoking a bowl of CH will not be a transcendental experience, just a simple pleasure.

Oh, and try it with a cup old good old fashioned regular coffee or tea.
He ain't just-a whistlin' Dixie! But it still may be the best ever...at least in the top 3! CH, PA, SWR :)

Status
Not open for further replies.