The Unbiased Truth About Carter Hall

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by DGErwin11, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I'm confused. My Carter Hall has this smokey, fishy, sort of anchovy aroma at the start and progresses to an old sour gym sock sorta smell for the last half of the bowl...........oh, wait......crap I grabbed the Mixture 79 by mistake.

NEVER MIND!

UncleVint, MakDragon, MacNutz and 2 others like this.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

+1 Oatmeal cookies! SB and CH are both good stuff!

Smokey Tom likes this.
  3. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Having finally tried CH, I can say after 1 bowl that it's pretty good. I puffed like a steam engine and it took the abuse and still tasted okay.
    Can't say for sure, but I feel it's going to be what I pack for a little 15 minute smoke in the car. relights? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

It's a black coffee. A hamburger at the ball park. Meat and potatoes, no gravy.

UncleVint, MacNutz, mecompco and 2 others like this.
  4. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Seldom, if ever, have had to relight CH.

mecompco likes this.
  5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

yes, CH is the epitome of hands free thoughtless smoking pleasure. And it is a fine tasting smoke. Not greatly nuanced but just straight up burley tobacco with a very, very light topping. A perfect all day smoke for those who have the pipe in their face through out the day.
    Just got a pouch of SWR from Ruffinogold and I like it just as much as I like the CH, for all the same reasons. In fact, I might like it just a wee bit more.
    I raved so much about what the good mayor sent me that I managed to guilt my sister in Texas into agreeing to send me a couple of pouches every month, at my expense, of course.
    Lately I go back and forth between the burley blends and the English style Lat bombs, usually saving the Russians and Pirate Kake for the later hours.

mecompco likes this.
  6. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

ha, I got the big chuckle out of that. I didn't know where you were going with that until the end. Very good.

ChristTiger likes this.
  7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

That's OK, coastie never knows where he's going either.

ChristTiger likes this.
  8. Tony Bybee

Tony Bybee Member

what i realy love about ch is the aroma it leaves on my shirt on my shirt in the morning driving to work. its sligt nutty scent lasts until lunch and by then im to busy to notice. doesnt stink up my car either, bonus!

UncleVint, Smokey Tom and Summit like this.
  9. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

My buddy Fin, a 20-year cigarette smoker started smoking a pipe about a year ago and started with CH. He swears by it because its just that, Tobacco; no fuss, no muss, no perfume or waxy residue. Myself, I like some aromatics, but it's definitely acceptable.

**EDIT - After considering it for a few minutes, I've come to the conclusion that CH is like Pabst Blue Ribbon of pipe tobaccos. IPA's and Porters and Stouts are great but I would be perfectly fine drinking only PBR if that's all there was.

whitebriar likes this.
  10. zacROK

zacROK Member

I got an order of OTCs in yesterday and made short work of trying them out. I got Half and Half, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert and Carter Hall. They all worked well and were simple straight forward smokes. I really preferred CH and H&H over the other two. I will be ordering CH and H&H again, but will happily enjoy SWR and PA until they run out.

Ozark Nick likes this.
  11. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

That sounds pretty much like the all time swedish classic Greve Gilbert Hamiltons Blandning. Must see if I can get hold of CH here just to try it out.

MacNutz likes this.
  12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

If you like burley, you can't go wrong with CH. 4noggins now sells CH in bulk so you can get two ozs for 4.99, I think.

13. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

Had my first smoke of CH today and enjoyed it very much. Was telling my father of it and he told me that his dad used CH for cigs, pipes, and on occasion chewed it. So in turn, I chewed a bit.... not too bad! Will keep a pouch around for sure.

14. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

15. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

For me, CH is like the sweets I have in my pocket, good for everyday use. I might prefer that Christmas turkey or the steak at a weekend but it's not going to stop me indulging in that pack of polos while waiting for the bus. If it was available in the UK at similar prices, too right I would be smoking it all the time.

ChristTiger and Ephraim like this.
  16. Husayn

Husayn Member

I had my first bowl of CH the other day, to me it tasted like I was smoking Jersey Caramels (the sweets, don't know if you guys call them something different).
    I could see this as a working or driving smoke perhaps, one where it doesn't matter if I tear through it at a million miles an hour, no need for concentration or care.
    I wasn't a great fan, but I see where it could fit in!

17. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

If a newbie wanted to compare CH to some similar bulk blends, what might they be?

Jayson likes this.
  18. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Truer words never written, Doug. Sometimes though it's the simplest smokes that bring on the transcendental moments. I'm a late comer to Carter Hall, but now that I've found it, I imagine I'll always have some on hand.

19. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith Well-Known Member

He ain't just-a whistlin' Dixie! But it still may be the best ever...at least in the top 3! CH, PA, SWR :)

rigormootis and koaks like this.
  20. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

iI feel the same way SWR is my main OTC but CH is my backup :)

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.