1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

These are a few of my favourite things.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puffer Pete, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Okay, hardly original I know but I couldn't think of anything better on the spur of the moment. Besides, they are some of my favourite things.

I guess you guys with dozens of pipes will find this a bit silly but I love my pipes and, while I don't have a huge number of ones I like, I get very little chance to show them off - so I'll make you lot suffer.

First up are my 'previously enjoyed' meers. Although, in all honesty only the two African meers had been smoked before I got them. For the others you'll just have to read previously enjoyed by me.

The cavalier looking one is a nice smoke, but very prone to gurgle. Nothing probing with a pipe-cleaner doesn't remedy, but annoying all the same

The large one has been a bit of a disaster, but actually smokes quite nicely. I didn't initially spot a crack in it because it follows the line of carving, but most definitely noticed the cracking sounds as I smoked it for the first time. Hard to miss was when half the stem dropped off as a section of meer broke. A bit of glue to repair the stem and not using it too often means I still get to enjoy smoking the monster - but who knows for how much longer.

I'm still working on the rusticated one, but just love the way it looks.

The other one smokes very well, but is currently awaiting a re-wax - while it's still clean.

Pete[​IMG]

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SmokeyJoe and akohtz like this.
  3. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Next up are the meers I have yet to 'road test'.

The middle one, the hand, is supposedly vintage and definitely does have a different stem fixing to any other modern meer I've seen. Still a threaded plastic insert, but of much greater diameter than is the norm - about 3/8".

The 'Snowball' as the wife insists on calling it, is another obeying orders purchase. The wife fell in love with it and pleaded with me to buy it. Oh well, anything to maintain harmony.

The one with grapes and vine leaves on it came direct from Meerscham Market in Turkey, so is totally modern.

I think the main reason they've remained unsmoked is that they are just so nice to look at - but their time will come.

Pete[​IMG]

4. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I suppose I asked for that

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I'm just joking a bit. I like your meers. I need another nice meer. I have just one, but I do like the smoke.

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very Nice Meers! I only have one. I really like them all! The hand and ball rocks! Beale.

7. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

jhe,
    I'd worked out you were kidding mate, just amazed that you knew just where to locate photos of such obscure items. The rose, kittens and mittens maybe, but brown paper packages tied up with string!!!! The mind boggles.

Pete

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Nice collection there Pete. :th1:

9. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Moving onto some more 'usual' types, these are my vintage Pete's. That a 307, 312 rustic and 309. All cleaned up nicely, with minimum effort, and they smoke just as well as I'd hoped they would.

Pete[​IMG]

10. BradNTX

OK, I think we've moved past "few". :rolleyes:

LOL, that's OK though, we all love to see pictures of pipe collections. I'm especially digging that bottom Pete; looks like it would be a great flake pipe! ;)

11. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Hmm, looks as if the 309 stem could use a little stem polish - a job for tomorrow.

Next up are the new Pete's. Starting from the top, 302, XL305 Calabash, 313, 309 Star System, 314 and 301.
    The 309 hasn't seen much use largely because I prefer standard system pipes. It's pretty hard to draw with the brass fitment, and still harder than the others without it.
    The XL305, 302 and 301 are all brilliant pipes and, whilst they smoke well enough, I just find the 313 and 314 a shade on the small side.

All of which has reminded me that, hiding in a rack somewhere are a vintage 312 and new 305 rustic.

Pete

[​IMG]

12. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

If I'm doing wrong by posting these photos, somebody please say so. I'm just pleased with my pipes and keen to show them off.
    As I said before, I'm new at this pipe smoking lark (about 3 months or so) and am filled with enthusiasm for my new passion. I've learned a lot from these forums and am enjoying my visits here.

Pete

13. BradNTX

Not at all! I was giving you a bit of a tease. We appreciate those that take the time to share pictures with us and passion for the hobby is what this forum is all about.

Do you have certain tobaccos you smoke in certain pipes or are you more of a "smoke whatever the mood strikes" kind of guy?

14. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I'm still learning about tobaccos. Flavour of the month, at the moment is one I buy as American Whiskey which is a mild, relatively sweet smoke that seems to have some chocolate in there somewhere. That's certainly what it smells of. The wider bowl pipes, like the XL305 and 302 seem to suit it best, so I'm hoping the Wellington I have on the way from the States will be good with it too. With a chamber diameter of 1", it sounds as if it should.
    I'll try some University Flake in the 309, but have to admit I'm not that keen on the Burley mixes. Unless there's something I want to think over.
    Almost undoubtedly the wider bowls would suit one I tried the other day. Called Sunday's Fantasy, it's really quite strange. As well as the thick cut dark strands, there are fairly large pieces of a much lighter tobacco too. Smoked in a narrow bowl pipe, it seems to give different flavours as you work through the bowl. You get distinct spots of mild, sweet and peppery flavours. Not unpleasant, just strange. I'm assuming the wider bowls would allow the tobacco to mix better, rather that layering.

Pete

Pete

15. BradNTX

Have you tried Solani Aged Burley Flake or Esoterica Stonehaven? They are very popular and for a reason. Both have a great, smooth, nutty flavor that is about as good as Burley gets. I'd say if you didn't like either, you may not be a Burley guy, and that is OK too!

16. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

Hmm, I just tried a search on the Stonehaven. Reviews say it's a Germain's product, but they don't appear to list it. Curious.

17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sunday's Fantasy is a strange one indeed. A friend bought some years ago and hated it with a white hot passion, so he passed the tin off to me, even though he knew I was pretty much an English smoker. :confused: I opened it several times, but couldn't get past the tin note. Way too weirdly aromatic for my tastes. Hats off to you for trying it, though.

Herb

18. BradNTX

It can be difficult to find, and when it gets shipped in to the retailers, they get snapped up pretty quickly. Most shops list it under Esoterica though it the 8 oz bag says, "Blended exclusively for Butera Pipe Company by J. F. Germain and Son".

19. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

LOL. I'd post some pics of my favorite things, but they're X rated.
    And, oh yeah, nice pipes:whis:

20. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

The pipes are nice, very nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.