Things I've Noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungmaggot

I've only been on the pipe scene a week or so but already I've noticed a few things:

Pipe smokers, like the coffee and beer snobs I hang around with, are a picky lot. A cup of MJB in the morning can cut it in a pinch but not when there's Peets do be drank.

There's as many types of tobacco as there are types of people and arguing which is "best" is akin to trying to teach logic to a chicken.

Pipe smokers are a conservative lot. Not to say Republican, just more conservative in a completely non-political way.

Pipe smokers are passionate about their hobby and love to share it. I took a drive to the nearest reputable tobacco shop (over an hour away) to browse their selection. I walked away with samples of 10 different weeds, nearly 4 hours worth of conversation, and a new friend. I bought three different types I liked (even though I only really wanted two, I was talked into the Vanilla Dreams by the cute Ukranian girl behind the counter).

Pipe smokers tend to yern for simpler times when acting like a gentleman was the rule, not the exception.

I'm proud to be among the pipe smoking crowd.

Cobra

Dungmaggot said:
I've only been on the pipe scene a week or so but already I've noticed a few things:

Pipe smokers, like the coffee and beer snobs I hang around with, are a picky lot. A cup of MJB in the morning can cut it in a pinch but not when there's Peets do be drank.

There's as many types of tobacco as there are types of people and arguing which is "best" is akin to trying to teach logic to a chicken.

Pipe smokers are a conservative lot. Not to say Republican, just more conservative in a completely non-political way.

Pipe smokers are passionate about their hobby and love to share it. I took a drive to the nearest reputable tobacco shop (over an hour away) to browse their selection. I walked away with samples of 10 different weeds, nearly 4 hours worth of conversation, and a new friend. I bought three different types I liked (even though I only really wanted two, I was talked into the Vanilla Dreams by the cute Ukranian girl behind the counter).

Pipe smokers tend to yern for simpler times when acting like a gentleman was the rule, not the exception.

I'm proud to be among the pipe smoking crowd.

Aw hell, you're not gonna get all mushy on us are ya?:drunk::D:D

Oglethorpe

You've got it, my friend! We pipe smokers are often pigeonholed pretty easily.

That being said, I tend to be less conservative.

Here's a little bit about your Internet friend Oglethorpe.

I love to party, love to have a few drinks or way too many drinks, love to smoke cigars and cigarettes (in addition to pipes), love to gamble, love to watch sports, love to play cards. The first thing I do when I get home from work is pick up a bottle, but I am not an alcoholic. If you've known alcoholics, then you know what makes one.

I like skinny girls with big asses, I love dogs that snore and fart. I love fast cars, but I've owned one Corvette and three Cadillacs, so draw your own conclusion there.

I love foul language, but only when it's used to deliver a point, not when used as an article, adjective, adverb, pronoun, interjection, or preposition all in the same sentence. I'm immediately vocal in prose and initially reserved in person. But hit it off with me and you'll see the sleeping giant come to life.

I have a nerdy side that can't be contained. Been made fun of my whole life but don't care. Big Star Wars fan, play a ridiculous number of hours of World of Warcraft, build computers from scratch and take them apart again for no good reason.

I like big fat pipes that can hold a ton of strong tobacco. That means Italian or custom in the majority of cases. 1792 is my baccy of choice. It's been compared to a grandmother's underwear drawer. I'm not sure what that means but I love it in a sick kind of way. I smoke it before I eat anything in the morning, and it makes those first couple hours of the work day a little bit more tolerable. I buy pipes and tobacco when I feel like it, most of the time against better judgement. I should be saving money for an engagement ring.

Sorry for the rambling but this was a (probably vain) attempt to un-pigeon hole pipers.

TheSaint

in what universe do cute young girls work in tobacco shops?
not in australia anyhow lol australian girls are all snobs tho so .. meh

Dungmaggot

This particular shop I've been in a couple times before for cigars and it has a reputation for hiring assistants that are pleasing to the eye. This girl was a true-blue Ukranian, only in the US for a couple years. The girl who had worked there the last time I was in was a sweet young Irish lass named Bridget. She certainly put the shine in me shalaleigh.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Oof. There's nothing a cute girl can't talk me into.... sigh.

I think by and large pipe smokers are guys who enjoy a little tiny holiday every day. "Conservative" might be the right word in some senses.... but I think "throwback" or "old school" might be just as appropriate. I usually get along well with other pipesters, but I know a few real dummies too. Just like any other group I guess.

The passion for the hobby is overwhelming though. I'm pleased when I can gift a newbie some tobacco or a pipe or two, and I've a long way to go to "make up" for the tremendous generosity I am on the receiving end of. It's ridiculous. I don't have to buy tobacco this year. I've been gifted a year supply and it's not even February.

Silverado

A chicken cannot be taught logic, but they can learn simple math.

ON the topic at hand, spending time discussing a hobby, sharing ideas and passion with the like-minded, is time well spent. The sense of fellowship in some forums is incredible, and often grows well beyond the originating subject.

Recently, in a forum to which I've belonged for about 10 years, a fellow posted that he was going to lose the family dog to a serious injury, the surgery for which he couldn't afford.

Within a day, the forum members, of their own volition, rallied and raised the several thousand dollars required, mostly in small increments of $10 and $20. Truly inspiring.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Forums are virtual communities. This one is centered around pipe smoking. The internet allows people from all over the world to share their common interests.

Aint it cool :puff:

Dondi

Silly me, I thought this thread was about pretty maids in baccy stores :eek: those are the things that I would never fail to notice...

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Well now I don't know what the hell this thread's topic is, but I don't dare post anything in case Jesla nukes me. :D

I know for sure that Oglethorpe is wrong, though. That's a given.

Silverado

Newby; picky pipe-snobs; product diversity; chicken logic; conservative; passionate; road trip; samples; pretty smoke sales girl; simpler times; happy to be here.

There's the OP, distilled.

woody

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Sasquatch said:
Well now I don't know what the hell this thread's topic is, but I don't dare post anything in case Jesla nukes me. :D
I know it would look bad if I got busted for going off the range :D

Sasquatch said:
:XD:

Oglethorpe

Sasquatch said:
You should talk to my other half. I'm always wrong to her also.

And I'm pretty sure my post was on-topic. If not, apologies abound.

Just saying that we enjoy the same hobby but that I feel like an exception to what most people would identify as a piper, as identified by the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.