1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Thinking out another Meerschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by soundlzrd, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

All this talk about meerschaum pipes lately has really got me thiniking I "need" another. I have two IMPs, a cheap SMS( wanted a smokable Buffalo head meer) and a Peterson 69 from Cup o Joes. Today I found out that I am getting a Christmas bonus and thought I would look at another meer before I hit up Tinksys store.

[​IMG]

This is my best smoking one out of the four. I am not sure if it is the larger size or what exactly, but it is the only one that smokes without a gurgle, looking forward to trying the tip posted yesterday, but it is also the only one that smokes with only one relight.

I give you all of this to see if spending more than I have on an IMP will get me any better of a pipe. does this one smoke better because of the larger walls and size or is it just a fluke? I have been looking at Altinok pipes and as curious if anyone knows if the signature pipes actually smoke better than the classic line or is that just marketing?

Thanks for taking the time to read, I am now selfishly hoping to get some education so I can save some money. I wish meerfan was still selling, but eBay is longer an option anyway.

Thanks

Sean

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I saw that, but many of those pipes were inexpensive that I saw, so I thought I would go from a different angle. Might need to take another look.

4. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Yeah if you are looking for a certain artist or a little more detail then might have to shop around. I'm a bigger fan of briar so all I gotta do is type "new tobacco pipe" into the Ebay search box and sit back for the next hour and browse!

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

We had the same discussion about briar pipes recently.

Meerschaums are like briars in this regard except I happen to think that IMP's in general are about as good a smoker as you'll find. I say "in general" because I own a couple of Bakis that I prefer to my IMP's. But I don't think you can go wrong with either.

So you *may* find a pipe you prefer to your IMP and you may not. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy more meerschaums! :beck: I own about 42 of them and they all have their place in my rotation. However, many of them were purchased because they were a particular piece of functional art that I liked, not necessarily because I thought they would smoke better than my 5 IMP's. Some do, some don't.

In other words, your IMP is a great pipe. The ONLY reason it isn't more expensive is because no one outside of Turkey knows who carved it. It was probably not done by a Master Carver, but do you care about that or do you care how it smokes? ;)

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

See, that's the thing, I only care about how it smokes. IMP's are also getting harder to find, at least that has been my experience. SP went months without an update to there inventory and nothing is catching my eye in there current inventory.

Is Altinok the master carver or does he just farm out the work too? I am very jealous of OT right now. Getting to hand pick meers in Turkey would be an amazing opptorunity, however I would be stuck there, having sold my ticket to get home for another pipe.

7. dmkerr

It isn't that IMP's are harder to find, it's that they are experiencing an off-season shortage of decent block. Wait a month or so and IMP's will be back with a vengeance.

Sinan Altinok doesn't carve - he's the retailer. A good guy. Izzat Kirkaya is his main carver.

8. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Hum, that explains it. Maybe I should get an Altinok signature pipe and an Imp later. Just might need to see if the signature pipe is as good as his right up makes it to be....

9. dmkerr

Well, Altinok also carries IMP's ;)

If you go with a Signature pipe, check to see if you like one of the shapes in the "Ready Pipes" section. Otherwise, you'll wait a couple of months, as your pipe will be carved after you place the order.

For the record, my Signature Altinok pipe is excellent. The mouthpiece is a little wider than I like but it smokes very well.

10. maddis

maddis Sales Account

Is a meer any different than a briar, in that what will determine how well it smokes is the quality of the drilling and the quality of the block (not the shaping/carving)?

I ask because I've had a couple of beautifully carved meers that smoked like poop. In trying to figure that out I wondered if sometimes makers get paid (however minimally) because they can carve detail, not necessarily because they can make a good smoking pipe.

11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

One of the pipes I like is available, however it is smaller than I was going to start with. However it is cheaper. If I am going to have to wait a few months, I might order it and cancel the other pipe if I decide I do not want it.

12. dmkerr

A beautiful carving does not make a good smoker, as you found out. Turkish carvers were not known for their knowledge of pipe physics but for their carving skills. This is changing, however. But I still occasionally find the ornately gorgeous carving that doesn't smoke very well. As you said, the quality of the block and the quality of the drilling are critical; the carving, not so much.

13. dmkerr

Forgot to mention... Floyd Norwood can often turn those gorgeous poop-smokers into very nice smoking pipes. He may have met his match with one I'm about to send him, however. We'll see.

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Thanks for that info!

15. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Sinan's signature series is just that...pipes that are carved and signed by his better carvers. They don't *necessarily* smoke better, but your odds are better. The pipes I have from Altinok are stellar smokers....engineering is great and they have the more reliable briar type, delrin connectors, which gives a more open and fluid draft than the two piece nylon style that most others use.
    I mentioned this somewhere else, but it pertains to your query about fancy carving versus good engineering. I have a couple of Yanik meers, both stunningly beautiful, and both poor smokers. They are both equipped with the two piece connector instead of the much better delrin. I've carefully opened them as much as I dare....better, but not great. When I can afford it, they're going to Floyd.

16. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Well, I think that seals the deal. I am going to order an Altinok signature pipe, or two.

17. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Well I did it, picked up an Signature pipe, 635, the mini apple spigot. Been waiting a spigot pipe for a year, but after seeing the Peterson green stain bubble up, I didnt want to spend that much for one of those. And, this one should ship today I am told! Woo Hoo. Now that wait begins. :eek:

Thank you, you bunch of enablers.

18. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

If you want to experiment with a meer coloring bowl with your new pipe I have one for trade...Let it go for a bit of tobacco.

19. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I've got three green, three red and one black.

Not a bubble among'em

Go figure.....

20. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Your very lucky. Mine has gotten better. I was also hoping they brought the other shapes out in green, but no luck! I even called and asked but didn't get a straight answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.