Thinking Outloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnerNA

I know a lot of people have talked about using apples, orange peels, etc to hydrate their tobacco. I was wondering if anyone has done things like that to create a kind of a custom aromatic blend. I was thinking some apples with cinnamon sticks for a nice aromatic?not sure how much of the flavor the tobacco would take on.

Everyone?s thoughts?

Thomasb

Not sure but if it works i've got the perfect blend name "MOM'S APPLE PIE".
Ya have to smoke it from a warm pipe though......:XD:

Cobra

ConnerNA said:
I know a lot of people have talked about using apples, orange peels, etc to hydrate their tobacco. I was wondering if anyone has done things like that to create a kind of a custom aromatic blend. I was thinking some apples with cinnamon sticks for a nice aromatic…not sure how much of the flavor the tobacco would take on.

Everyone’s thoughts?
The problem is finding out where to draw the line. Apples I find will detract from the taste of the tobacco, and I've also run into the apple adding too much moisture content. Mostly what I do now to hydrate dried out tobacco is to spray with water. I have a small windex bottle I use for this purpose. I just give a very light fine spray of water and then wait overnight. Sometimes I'll have to spray it a second time. The key is to hydrate it slowly so as not to overdo it.

ConnerNA

Yeah I was thinking dehydrated fruit....that way it won't get everything wet, but it will take on some of the moisture in the bag and will hopefully (or at least what I am thinking) infuse a little bit of the flavor into the tobacco....I was also thinking a small amount of clove ???

Falconeer

Could actually be an interesting experiment. I'd suspect for a base tobacco you'd need a fairly neutral but at least medium strength one. Cinamon might work - when I was a kid we used to buy sticks of cinamon from the local shop and then sneak behind the school toilets to light them up and smoke them pretending they were cigars.

Licquorice is widely added to British pipe tobacco both as a flavouring and as an aid to more even burning.

A touch of brandy or rum might work too.

I guess it's like cooking or home wine making - experiment til you find a recipe you like, but do take notes; if you come up with a winner you'll want to be able to repeat it.

Rich at 4Noggins sells blending tobaccos too,

Good luck

Gerry

MikePiper1

You have to be careful if you use fruit because it will get moldy very fast and you risk ruining some otherwise fine tobacco. IMO a spray bottle full of distilled water is the best way to go.

Demented

I?ve used rum and bourbon to flavor tobacco like this. Weigh the tobacco on a kitchen scale, let it dry out, and weigh it again. Zero the scale with a bowl on it, add the tobacco then spray it with the flavoring until it is back to the starting weight.

Using fruit juice might lead to mold or unwanted fermentation, alcohol based extracts might be a better choice.

cst

When I first started smoking, this old guy I was working for told me that my tobacco had dried out too much in my pouch, and to put a thin slice of apple in the pouch each day. He didnt have to tell me to remove the old one. I have kept doing this and have found that the apple adds a little flavor as well as moisture. A very small amount of flavor. Most days I don't even taste it. I think a cinnamon stick would both add some flavor and rob some of the tobacco's moisture. Might be a worthwhile trade with some of the MacBarens:D

Dungmaggot

I've been told a slice of white bread put next to, not touching, your tobacco in a Ziploc bag does a nice job of rehydrating and done over time can impart a subtle biscuit flavor.

ConnerNA

Yeah I remeber as a kid sticking cinnamon tooth picks in our cigs to give them a cinnamon flavor, then with the addition of apple I was thinking I might have a winner...I think I will try it soon just to see what happens, I figure I will add a fresh apple every few day and do this for a few weeks maybe a month (give it plenty of time to marry) and see what happens.

Skylane

I stuck a couple of whole vanilla beans inside a mason jar full of tobacco and set it inside my wine cooler to age for a few months. The tobacco used was so-so and I'm hoping a bit of age will improve it. I'm not sure if the vanilla will do anything at all, but I have plenty of vanilla beans on hand so I thought it was worth a try.

dubhdarra

if i need to rehydrate tobacco i usually just get some of the same tobacco thats still really damp, mix them 50/50 and put them somewhere warm for a bit.

then again i buy in bulk and carry in tins, so i can do that. dunno about flavoring tobacco at home though, with the better sort of tobacco i thought the casing was generally applied before fermenting, so most of the sugar is broken down... be interesting to hear how this works out though.

Falconeer

Some thoughts -

1) Using a mist spray for flavour should work - when your mother made a real Xmas cake she'd inject it with brandy or then top it up while it matured - in modern factory bakeries they just spray it with French Spirit as it comes down the line and most people eat it OK.

2) After I read the idea about spraying I tried an experiment - I loaded up a pipe with Mellow Virginia and left it for 24 hours before lighting up; when I did light it it had none of the usual honey taste I expect from B&H's - they must top spray it.

3) Food flavouring such as almond or vanilla essence might work too

Gerry

t-bear

As others have metioned, be *very* careful with adding fruit to your tobacco. Don't do it with more than you're willing to lose. Fruit will quickly start to mold and infect the entire contents. It may not show up right away, but it can sure ruin a lot of baccy in a short time.

As for re-hydrating, I put the tobacco in a large bowl, wet a couple of paper towels, wring them out and drape them over the bowl. Re-wet the towels every 6-8 hrs and mix the tobacco in the bowl until you get the "right" consistency. This method keeps from wetting the tobacco and allows it to re-hydrate more evenly. Has worked for me for more years than I care to think about.....

Status
Not open for further replies.