1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

This was in my latest eBay purchase...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SchumiJr, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

Has anyone ever seen one of the before? It was in my latest Savinelli Grand Prix. If looks exactly like a hypodermic needle and pulls out of the stem rather easily. Thanks in advance. Carter

[​IMG]

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

It's an inner tube design. The tubes are replaceable, hence the ability to remove it. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject, so i'll let others school us both. :)

3. Nate

Nate Member

I know that was the 'filter' on earlier Savinellis. They then switched to the balsa filters. Smoke with or without, your choice. You may try it both ways and see how you like it. I personally remove all filters from my 'nellis.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Looks similar to a Dunhill "inner-tube". If it comes out easily, try it both ways! I have some Dunnies that came with innerdz but take em out to smoke.

Ed
    Puff

5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Yeah, Ruff is always talking about his "innertube"... He will prolly be able to shed quite a bit of light on them.

6. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

Thanks guys, I've never seen anything like it and couldnt figure out a purpose for it. I was 1/2 concerned it was some kind of rigging.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It was to cool the smoke.....and i guess tighten the draw a bit. The bevel end goes into and meets bowl bottom...so alignment is key if you use it.

Ed
    Puff

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Puff should have known this:) It's actually a paramedic's pipe. The idea was it could be used in an emergency to perform a tracheotomy. :xd: -David

SSGpiper and SchumiJr like this.
  9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Dunhill used the inner tube to prevent the smoke canal in the shank from getting smaller over time. Some smokers weren't keen on keeping their pipes clean so instead of cleaning out the shank or indeed the inner tube they simply replaced it when it was gunked up!:eek:

I personally would take it out . It doesn't really cool the smoke or has other real benefits...... apart from being another item that needs cleaning:bing:

10. SchumiJr

SchumiJr Member

That or if you don't feel your getting enough vitamin N,you can mainline it.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

When aluminum was the rage , Dunhill put a long inner tube in one of their lines [ it has it's own pat number on the tube .. lol ] ... it was said that the tube would cool the smoke . Do they work ? Meh . My Dunhill Innertube smokes fantastic with or without the innertube

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I haven't seen an innertube in a Savinelli in many years, and in truth I'd almost forgotten about them until I saw your pic. My Oscar Elite Canadian came with one of those, though I didn't know that it was removeable at the time I got it, about twenty years ago. The original stem got broken a couple of years after I got it, so I had my local pipe shop send it to Lee Von Erck for a new stem. The pipe is still a great smoker, even without the innertube, BTW.

Incidentally, the end of the tube didn't come close to reaching the bowl on that pipe, so I'm really not sure how it was supposed to function. :msty:

13. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

You are one sick puppy....I like it

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.