Three Friars on trial.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The other day I posted about receiving - among other things, a pound of 3Friars, a sample kindly given by friend Snake a while ago lead me to order a pound - my regular 'transatlantic' order ( every two or three months ) had hitherto been solely 'Night Train', of which I've become quite fond. I never pass complete judgement on any tobacco until I've smoked it for a day or two, usually exclusively, so today, not venturing far from house and shop as the rain has been pouring down all day, I have given the blend a good workout - in fact I've been smoking it all day, since driving Mrs. OT to her nursing duties at 7-00am!.
    As some of you will know I've never bothered much about the 'different pipes for different blends' thing, but decided to to experiment a little and take this route with this trial of the friars. First off was a bowl in the straight Falcon with Dublin bowl - very nice with my after breakfast coffee, although this pipe is well used to strong British flakes, and their presence was noticeable!, so next I loaded one of my own make billiards that had only seen two or three bowls of straight VA and then sat on the rack for a couple of weeks, bingo! that bowl was great - the subtleties and sweetness really came through, and intensified as the bowl came to an end.
    Well, a similar result - albeit slightly different came with a couple of smokes in smallish meerschaums - very agreeable indeed. I'm going to cut this long story short, as it's now 12-45am here, and time I was climbing the wooden hill to bedfordshire LOL.....but as I type these 'ramblings' - I'm finishing the last of two bowls of the friars in a little MM legend, and have to say they are the best smokes I've had all day, in fact - for a few days!, the cob with the Three Friars wins 'hands down' for me, and this blend is going to be a regular around here!
    Good night everyone!
    OT

JimInks, Spillproof, Morse and 3 others like this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What are you doing . Youre supposed to be the stick in the mud codger ... back , back I say .. who are you and what have you done w/ OT :beck:

Trauma and Old Ted like this.
  3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Do you know how easy it is for those of us on this side of the pond to get our hands on the likes of Three Friars and Night Train? I feel sorry for you Brits and your meager selection of grocery store blends.

(I've wanted to do that to OT for so long.)

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well, you know what happened to Ebenezer S. at Christmas time! :ohyh:.....God bless us all! :old:
    OT

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

:ohyh:....touche!.

(vengence is mine sayeth....OT!)

6. buistd

buistd Active Member

Three Friars is a good blend. I find that it's in a similar league to Night Train. I can't imagine liking one but not the other.

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It is indeed similar, and that's what attracted me - but the three Friars has less Burley and Cavendish (if any), and IMO a little more Perique, and that makes it preferable for me, being a VA fan.
    OT

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Ypu smoked something else besides Condor?:msty:
    It must be the end of the world.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Afraid so Ming!.....but a lot of the time it all comes down to £££$$$! - see my comment in Craig's thread about Brit OTC's :(
    OT

Skiballa likes this.
  10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Dang....another to the TAD list. Was just reading about it on TR.
    If Snake and OT like it....it must be good. :buds:

11. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Plus, American pipe tobacco is much safer, judging from the warning labels. ;)

Rewster66, buistd, Trauma and 3 others like this.
  12. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Get some Old Joe Krantz and you'll fall in love with Cornell & Diehl burley ;) Mixing OJK and Three Friars is pretty good as well, even though that discovery was by accident.

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Don't know that Snake actually likes it - but being a great and obliging guy got a couple of ounces for me to sample before I parted with the price of a pound!....my thanks to DP!
    ot

Snake likes this.
  14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmm, more food for thought!, another one is :- I can buy blending Perique, any day of the week and often add a bit to blends - if I think they are slightly lacking in that department!.
    OT

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, our pouch and tin illustrations are (intentionally) horrific!, I once suggested they just put pictures of some of us venerable, senior pipesmokers on the packet, but was told this would be counter productive - as sales would rocket, instead of declining.
    OT

Rewster66 and Skiballa like this.
  16. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I've seen them, scary stuff, I hate that pipe tobacco and cigarettes get lumped into the same category. Most studies I've seen put pipe smokers in about the same risk category as non-smokers for likelihood of lung cancer.

Old Ted likes this.
  17. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

On topic- I'm going to have to try some Three Friars now, sounds like it would suit my tastes.

Off topic (this is it, I promise)- At least your head won't explode, some Brazilian tobacco causes that.

Check it out.

Old Ted likes this.
  18. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes, it's a different topic, but I think I can digress a little on my own thread ;)....I have great memories of Grandpa (an ex cop) climbing his home made ladder to clean the bedroom window, aged 86 and clenching a pipeful of Erinmore that he'd smoked all his life! :)
    OT

JimInks and Skiballa like this.
  19. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I recently finished a 4 oz. bag of Three Friars and greatly enjoyed it. I'd buy more but I have a bunch of stuff to go through now. I will revisit it at some point though. Btw, I'm smoking C&D Big and Burley at this moment and enjoy that, too. But I like Three Friars a little better.

Old Ted likes this.
  20. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Never thought I'd say it Jim! but to me it does go a lot better in a little cob.
    OT

JimInks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.