Three Nuns VaPer to Return?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Great news! I spoke with the Sutliff rep today about Edward G. Robinson pipe tobacco and doing something with it to promote it. They are going to start selling it in 1.5 tins! Very exciting for me. Why am I announcing it here? Because I told him how many smokers are unhappy that the MacBaren Three Nuns isn't going to be a VaPer, and we had a long discussion about it.

Here's the deal. I will be sending him links to this thread and another on this site, as well as a couple from other sites to the rep, so he can see how much we want a VaPer version of Three Nuns. He said he will talk to his bosses about it. I said I realize the company has already made an investment in the current Three Nuns recipe, but that they should consider putting out a "Classic Three Nuns" with the version we all know and love. Anybody who likes the idea should voice their support now so the power-that-be can see how desirable it is to do this. So, everybody throw your two cents in now! They are willing to listen to us!

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Put me down for the classic VaPer. I don't have much use for the current version but I smoked numerous tins of the original Three Nuns from the mid-'80's through the mid-90's.

Thuber88 and JimInks like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Ok , I'm confused . So they purchased a Three Nuns recipe that isn't an original ? Heck , why not just make a close match as good as Sutliff is at making matches , ya know . Also , I didn't catch anywhere that said MB wasn't using Perique , I guess I missed something . Anyway , if they don't use Perique ... why bother .

On a happier note .. It's awesome EGR is gonna be in tins !!

4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I just paid a lot of money just to get a tin of the old Three Nuns version for my DH. I've smoked it to and it is wonderful. Please bring back the original VAPer version. I don't even like Burley and would not be interested at al in a Three Nuns VABUR. I, however love VaPers and the original formula of Three Nuns was perfect!:D

Thuber88, JimInks and jdto like this.
  5. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Thuber88 and TWolf like this.
  6. TWolf

TWolf Member

Done and done.

I too would like to add my interest and request that the classic Three Nuns be released in the original VAPer recipe. To quote the season ending episode of Doctor Who "the souffle isn't the souffle, the souffle is the recipe." If you're not using the same recipe, well then...

JimInks likes this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member

I want to spend a day in the lake district smoking a falcon with an original recipe 3nuns, just like wainwright. please bring it back and make it available in the uk.

The original was coins wasn't it? Will this be?

JimInks likes this.
  8. furious

furious Junque collector

Dear Sutliff,

I have smoked the original Three Nuns many times since I first took up pipe smoking in 1992. It is a very distinctive blend and much adored by pipe smokers, much like our lamented Edgeworth Ready Rubbed and Sliced (which I hope is brought back as well). The original Three Nuns had a healthy measure of Perique which contributed greatly towards its aroma and overall depth of flavor, which cannot be reproduced with any other tobacco.

Please, if you are going to resurrect this blend, then include the proper constituent tobaccos in the right proportions. You owe it to yourselves as much as to pipe smokers everywhere who call this blend a favorite.

Best Regards,

furious

9. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I actually tried the non-perique version the other day. Not a fan at all. I'd love to try the original version with the perique!

JimInks likes this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I honestly suggested they duplicate the original recipe and deem it as so, Original Three Nuns. I suggested they call the new blend or recipe, Two Nuns and a Protestant Gal...

jdto, psquared, ruffinogold and 2 others like this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Yes it was......but while you are in the lake district you could get some SG St.James for your Falcon - it's just as good, if not better, and there's plenty of it about!. :)
    OT

jdto and Thuber88 like this.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Member

I can get that anyway, but fancied some 3N to get the full effect.

JimInks likes this.
  13. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

jiminks,you have been busy this weekend :gjob:

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As the girl next door once said to me "You fellas are always lusting for something ya can't have!" :ohyh:

Stonewall, psquared and JimInks like this.
  15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:nwor:

Stonewall and Thuber88 like this.
  16. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

When I first heard the news--I was jumping up and down. NOW----to find out its a VaBur--well---NAH--NO!
    VERY--VERY disappointed to hear that its not going to be a VaPer.
    I'll pass on the new version without REAL Perique. For Gods sake its "Three Nuns"--I know it would take a miracle to try and duplicate the original recipe. I also would never expect it to be exactly the same. Crops change and so does the quality of tobacco from year to year.
    BUT--with a tobacco bearing that name I would think they would try t duplicate it with Perique. Many would be willing to pay for it.
    As far as VaBur blends go--well I have my own hodge-podge recipe for that---if it remains a VaBur--I'll pass.
    SORRY---just my opinion--not trying to be offensive or rude--just honest.

17. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

E-mail the company at the link I poster earlier and let them know you want the VaPer version.

18. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Jimlnks:
    Done---I E-Mailed them as you asked. I sure hope they hear our voices on this. I have nothing against VaBurs--I mix my own regularly--but WOW--JUST---FREAKIN WOW. I was so disappointed when I found out it was a VaBur and not a VaPer simular to the original.:(:(:(:(:shead::bag::doh:

19. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I just had a bowl of the current Three Nuns VaBur and remembered how dis appointing it is. A newer VaPer version that was honest to the original would be fantastic! I sure hope our voices will be heard!

20. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Remember how "New Coke" flopped in the 80's when they mucked around with the original formula? Maybe they should think about that.

TWolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.