Three Oaks Syrian, British Woods, Meridian: first try.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ECross, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECross

ECross Member

So I have done a preliminary round of smoking my new Three Oaks Syrian, British Woods, and G.L. Pease Meridian.

After one round the TOS and BW are tied for 1st, with the Meridian bringing up the rear. I'll obviously have to smoke each more before I can really say what I like better but that's how it stands so far. The TOS and BW are both really good.

I also have a question; what are the darkest, strongest English blends out there? I'm finding a strong like for latakia after smoking these and Frog Morton.

2. beeftip

beeftip Member

Ten Russians will knock your socks off. Pirate Kake is also a force to be reckoned with.

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I liked Meridian, but I reckon Quiet Nights is the winner out of the Old London series.

Old Ironsides is a pretty damn strong English. If they still make it...

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Odyssey is another to try if you want a more powerful blend.

I have smoked all three you have mentioned. They are not on the lat bomb end of the spectrum. You can find a whole lot of blends that will give you more Latakia. What these do well, particularly TOS and BW is give you good balance and some complexity. There are some nice things going on there besides just the lat.

If you have not tried Quiet Nights it might be more to your liking than Meridian.

5. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Man, you want a strong latakia blend, go searching for some SG Commonwealth. 50/50 split between latakia and Va
    Its one of my favorite blends.
    Or you could do what I do when you're on a craze and just can't get enough latakia for some reason---smoke a bowl of blending latakia
    Its much better than people say, and if you want, you can just throw a little in the bowl with whatever you're about to smoke and strengthen just that particular bowl. That way you won't change the entire blend, just that one smoke.
    Hope this helps!
    TS

6. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Oh and keep smoking that TOS and try to think about how different it tastes compared to the Cyprus latakia blends. And let us know what you think after you've smoked a bit more of it!
    TS

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Sillem's Black is very dark, full flavored and a great smoke.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Agreed. I was pretty excited after smoking a tin of Meridian, but then I cracked the tin of Quiet Nights. It was the clear winner for me. But both have a definite presence in my cellar.

9. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

I agree with beef, Ten Russians will make you feel like ten Russians knocked you out.

10. ECross

ECross Member

I'll have to get some Ten Russians in the future, and perhaps look into the others that have been mentioned.

Trendsetter, the Three Oaks Syrian is really good. I can't decide if I like it or Frog Morton more. And I think I may get some blending latakia eventually too. Thanks to all this TOS and FM smoking, my churchwarden is now my favourite pipe. It really does smoke noticeably cooler than my others.

11. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Sounds like a great experience! Hope you keep enjoying it, Try some Commonwealth too, if you ever see some available and remember. Good stuff!
    Im in love with churchwardens too, lol.
    All the best,
    TS

12. ECross

ECross Member

Will do, thanks.

Elijah

13. tigercasual

tigercasual Member

ECross,

I haven't tried the other blends that you listed, however, I love Frog Morton; it's my favorite blend. I just had a great discovery; it is Sutliff Private Stock Blend Number 5, and it is very cheap. In fact Smokingpipes.com has all of their blends really cheap.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/sutliff/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=54647

Cheers,
    TC

14. ECross

ECross Member

I'll have to put that on my ever-growing list for my next tobacco order. Only $4, that is cheap.

Elijah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.