Tin Seal Questions???

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by halpuff, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halpuff

halpuff Member

Recently had some conversation concerning the issue of receiving postal damaged tins in the mail. One trader mentioned that he had received a tin that was damaged enough that the tin had lost its factory seal. This discussion caused me to woned more about the issue of sealed tins.

Recently I was reading through some of the tobacco reviews and saw where one writer was expressing his unhappiness with one of the well known tobacco manufacturers because he had discovered two tins he had purchased at different tims that were not factory sealed when they arrived.

This leads me to ask several questions:
    • How can a person test a tin for seal without attempting to actually open the tin?Sometimes when opening a tin I can sense the tell tale signs of a sealed tin by hearing the slightly audible "whoosh" of air entering the tin. However, I have not ALWAYS sensed any tell tale signs that a tin was sealed, but felt that it must have been sealed because the contents appeared to be full and the tobacco was still very moist. I also notice that (for me) is not as easy to sense on some of the smaller sized tins. Most of these that I have opened I felt no sense either way if it were sealed of not. Of course on the square or rectangular shaped tins, if a tin has been repeatedly opened and closed the lid becomes much easier to close and remove than when the tin is first opened. That would be an obvious sign of a well used tin.
    • It would seem to me that the round 50g tins with the screw on lid would secure their seal much better than the square or rectangular tins with the simple press in place snap on lid that is simply held in place by small indents on the side of the box. To me, I could see the later being much more suseptible to seal failure and even possibly unknown to the tins owner.
    • As a result of the above questions, would it be best policy to ALWAYS open and transfer traded or even purchased tobaccos for that matter to mason jars just to be on the safe side; and not just assume that any tin is in fact sealed?
    I have several tins in my cellar that I have received in both trade and purchase. Possibly, I had better get them transfered to jars before I discover one day they were not sealed and are now just dust.

Halpuff :bing:

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If you can pull the lid off of a square tin, without much force, the seal has been broken.

For the most part, tins will keep their seal for decades. The problem is, you are risking your cellar if you stay with the factory tins. I've read too many posts of people that have found ruined tobacco in factory tins. Jars are too cheap, so I put all my tobacco in them.

Pull top tins can develop pin holes. Square top tins often loose their seal over time, and sometimes even when new. Screw on round tins are the safest, but still not as sure as a canning jar. Bags, plasticware, and other storage methods having varying degrees of success, but again, jars are cheap, and have the best chance of long term survival.

Wide mouth work the best, but babyfood jars are good for short term, and current usage too.
    [​IMG]

The little fat 8 oz wide mouth are nice too
    [​IMG]

3. halpuff

halpuff Member

Thanks BradNTX!
    I like the short wide mouth jars in you last photo. Approximately how much do these hold and where did you obtain them?
    Halpuff

4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

You can get those at your friendly neighborhood Walmart.

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have a few pint jars with the wide tops. They seem to work the best for me.
    I haven't experienced the loss of any tobacco because of faulty tins, however I've heard it can happen spefically with the cardboard 'tins'.

6. BradNTX

The 8 oz wide mouth will hold a tin of ribbon cut or sometimes a couple of tins of flake. You can get them at Wal Mart, Target, Ace Hardware and even on line. They are inexpensive at $4 per 4 pack with lids.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I like those short 8 oz. jars too. Might have to try them out. I see in your photo that you have them stacked in a staggered fashion. Will they stack directly on top of each other?

8. BradNTX

The short fat ones will not. The narrow mouth jelly jars do, but they are not as easy to get into as the wide mouth. I have them stacked pretty high in the cabinet with no issue. The bottoms have little teeth, so they hold together when staggered.

Buckshot likes this.
  9. craig

craig Active Member

Only ever had one tin and that was a round tin of orliks bullseye and the seal on that was deffinitely intact it took almost brute force to open it, the circle ones do seem to hold the seal better, But too be on the safe side i transfer my tobaccos to jars anyway, as even in the tins over time they can become dry, and i feel air tight jars seem to hold the moisture for longer.

10. Prof

Prof Member

The problem with the mason jar route is that if you have a bunch of tins, you are looking at a space problem. I probably have 100 tins of various sizes and probably 70 mason jars of various sizes, and the tins obviously are more compact and fit in a smaller space - the mason jars, are larger and grow like tribbles once you start undoing things. I have been concerned with the square tins too, especially if you like say, S. Gawith blends in which many come in square tins (or the small Penzance tins) - this would be incredibly disappointing to have those particular blends come apart during aging.

I love those little wide mouth mason jars, but damn, they do NOT stack well (I tried the staggered formation, but no joy) as I am currently stacking them four high and at least two deep in my shelves (and probably 8 across at this point)...I don't know why the manufacturer can't get the clue that these need to be stackable like the large 8 oz jars (the design change would not be huge) but there it is.

I had the idea of coming up with a cheap simple ring fix that would fit between the small jars top to bottom, that might allow them to be stacked safely - perhaps a shaved off 1/4" piece of correctly diameter PVC pipe, but the plastic is too hard and slippery, and I couldn't think of a material that would be easy to cut, cheap and sticky enough to make it worth while - SO, I am just very careful when I open up my shelf! I need to smoke more, and I have been thinking about maybe vacuum packaging the square tins, just in case?? Instead of taking the tobacco out of the tin, just putting the whole tin through the vacuum pack - what do you think?

Professor likes this.
  11. halpuff

halpuff Member

I guess I was not aware that the tins could be re-vacuum sealed again once they were opened. What is the process for doing this?

12. Prof

Prof Member

I am talking about putting them in a bag, whole, and vacuum sealing them in like a food-saver vacuum sealer... like this:
    [​IMG]

13. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

i just received my latest order from smoking pipes and my tin of C&D autumn evening is very dry, i opened the tin maybe 30 minutes ago and i dont recall if i did hear the woosh sound or not. But the tobby still smells good so i wont complain and i transfered it into a huge mason jar.

14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Conan the Barbarian struggled mightily to turn off the top of a round tin. Steel corded muscles flexed as his hardened body contorted into a quivering mass of pure, concentrated energy. The aura which had developed around Conan started slowly but quickly gathered strength. It was the color red. Not knowing what might happen next the few people that had gathered to watch..... took a step back.

In frustration Conan yelled, "wie funktioniert das abspringen"! One brave voice was heard to say, "you put a coin in the slot and turn".

MikeInMaine and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.