Tins - to open or not?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pipe Matt, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

I'm at the stage now where I have a number of jars of tobacco that I've started and also a number of sealed tins that I'm itching to try. I've kept those tins sealed because I feel I should use up more of the stuff in jars before opening them. I know it'll take me a while to get through all this tobacco and I figure the stuff in tins will age better if I just leave them sealed. But I so want to try them. When I open a tin I transfer it straight to jars to keep it fresh and could put some away to age in jars but I'm guessing opening the tin disrupts the aging process somewhat.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been presented with this dilemma. So, what's your philosophy on this? Open and enjoy now? Or be patient?

Thanks.

:)

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

At this point, you're still trying to decide which blends you enjoy enough to have tins of it aging. Every tin you open increases your knowledge in this area. I say open them all and give them a try. Save the aging for later.

krusty, cmkiefer and Pipe Matt like this.
  3. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

I agree with SB. And unless you plan on aging those tins for a long time it won't make much difference whether they're in the tin or in a well sealed jar.

Pipe Matt likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

If it's a blend I haven't tried, I'll open it and smoke it. If it's a blend I've tried, like, and plan to cellar, I'll reserve some for smoking immediately and cellar the rest. I open small tins or bags and jar them. If it's in a 100 gram can type tin I'll cellar it in the tin. Otherwise I fill jars and seal them for aging.

Check out tobacco reviews, if its a blend you think you'll like, then by all means open it and try it. 99 out of 100 may love it, and you may be the 1% that doesn't. I you like it, jar about 6 ounces for smoking and buy additional tins to age.

Pipe Matt likes this.
  5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I make it a point to open a new tin every month or two If I waited to smoke through all my jarred tobacco first I wouldn't get to sample anything new for a year or so.

cmkiefer and Pipe Matt like this.
  6. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Thanks guys. Decided to open them as and when I feel like them. As you say, I can think about cellaring later on when I know what I really like.

I've just opened a tin of Mac Baren Club Blend. Very nice.

ruffinogold likes this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Good choice , Matt .. You can always jar it after its opened and enjoy it in the mean time :th1:

Pipe Matt likes this.
  8. Labman

Labman Member

I'm in the same boat. I already have several open tins and pouches and want to dig into some others! :D

9. Stewart

Stewart Member

Me too. But i do have a few good examples of each genre open, so i am sitting on unopened tins until i knock off a couple of the open ones.

10. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I have 24 jarred blends to choose from. (because I have 24 jars) My method right now is I don't open any tins unless I empty a jar of some other tobacco. I have about 10 tins I have never tried that I am dying to get to but until I free up a jar I wont open it.
    This works for me because with 24 open tobaccos I have plenty of options and it makes it easier to wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.