To Jar Or Not Jar?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

What has ya'lls experience been with cellaring Krumble Kake or Penzance in the foil 8 oz packs? Should I leave it sealed in the foil pack or bust it open and jar it up?

2. Rider

Rider Member

i would say jar, but i'm in no way qualified to answer this lol :lol:

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I put everything in mason jars, but I don't know why you couldn't leave the Penzance (unopened) in the pack. People sell packs that are a few years old on ebay all the time, so it's not like the stuff goes to hell.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

I don't trust foil packed tobaccos I have opened packs of Stonehaven that have been dry as dust from pin holes in the packaging that went undetected. I would jar for long term storage.

5. Philthy

Philthy Member

+1 for Marc's comments. As part of my job I deal with packaging on a daily basis. The foils used are heavy duty with excellent sealing and exclusion properties. If unharmed and inviolate they could potantially last for years without any loss of moisture. The problem is that pinholes, and we are talking holes so small that you could not see them without spreading the foil flat and holding it up against the light. Bottom line - I would jar it.

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

cant hurt to jar it.

then again i've got jars full of tins, so i may just be a mason jar collector in denial.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Well, that is kinda what I was thinking. Jars are cheap and easy to get. These tobaccos aren't. I'll probably go on and put it in jars.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Smart move and remember flakes require less space than ready rubbed tobaccos, so you will use less jars.

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

If you came from the cigar world like I did, you could use your old humidor. I keep mine at 60% RH, and it is perfect.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I have kept many Stonehaven and Pez buys in the original foil packages for as long as five years with nary a problem; I have also taken gear from newly opened foil pouches and jarred it, also with nary a problem. Given your firsthand experience I am moving to "jar" mode on pouches from now on. Why take a chance? I'd hate Stonehaven dust.

I think I'll just put unopened pouches right into the jar if they'll squeeze in.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Just a thought. When my grandmother died in the mid 70s the cellar was being cleaned out and fruit 40 years old was found in canning jars....and it was said it tasted better then fresh.

I recently bought a box of 12, 1/2 pint Ball canning jars for under 8 bucks at the local Wally World.

12. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Shoot, I have bought 6 doz of those suckers lately and all are topped off with tobacco. I have enough tobacco in pouches I'll easily fill up another doz jars if I open it and jar it all.

I think Ball and Mason should send me some stock or something. Between the canning I do each summer and the tobacco I am storing I have spent some money on jars.

13. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'm with Moo..... just stuff the pouches it the jars, I do it.

14. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Ask them to send the next batch of jars full of top o the line baccy of your choice. :D

15. SBritton

SBritton Member

If its 2oz+ jar the son'a gun.

16. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

The thought of actually losing precious tobacco's my nightmare - I'd say play it safe and jar it; but check the seals just in case,

Happy smoking when you open it!

Gerry

17. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

For a relative beginner, you sure have a large stock of pipeweed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.