Tobacco for a cigar smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pipenube, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipenube

Pipenube Member

I am a long time cigar smoker. I smoke a variety of cigars however for those of you who know I generally lean towards maduro cigars of the fuller bodied nature. Right now I am smoking two house blends from my tobacconist both of them are aromatic in nature. I could not tell you anything about the type of tobacco and such other than its ribbon cut, as I am still learning about this hobby. I would like to try some stronger pipe tobacco, something a little more on the non aromatic side. Do you have any suggestions for a cigar smoker adventuring into pipe smoking?

Thanks

2. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Pipenube! I would recommend Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake Unscented; there is also Tambolaka, but it may be too strong for you. :ranger:

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

McClellands Domincan Glory Maduro.

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Do you want it to taste like a cigar or a pipe? Old Joe Krantz from C and D is popular with cigar smokers. Half and Half is a good OTC for a cigar smoker.

5. Pipenube

Pipenube Member

:blink:

I did not think about that? Hum I guess I should pack up a bole and ponder it.

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I lean more toward ropes and plugs when I'm looking for something cigarish (if you decide that's what you want). Gawith & Hoggarth's ropes are uniformly yummy and potent. Lately I like the Rum Twist, which has a trace of rum flavor that fades quickly after lighting.

I'll second Dark Flake unscented and Tambo as well.

7. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Id say try billy bud its a full on english with cigar leaf.

8. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I just got GLP Key Largo and Robusto for my father who is a long time cigar smoker trying to get into pipe smoking. I'll tell you what he thinks of them after Christmas.

9. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I guess I'm the only person that thinks Escudo is somewhat cigar like? Though it's more of a fuller flavored Dominican than some type of maduro.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I'll third it* in the context of some relationship to "stong" and "maduro" and maybe some bit of cigar-hint. Speaking as a pretty passionate maduro- and punchy cigar lover I cannot say, for me, the cigar experience has much in common with the pipe experience though. Trying to connect them is like growing up eating spaghetti and then wanting to try sushi with meatsauce.

* email me (xenawarriorcat at hot mail) and I'll set you up with a few flakes to try

11. Pipenube

Pipenube Member

How do you smoke the ropes and plugs? I saw that the other day and thought strange? I am assuming you just break or cut it up.

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Concur, General! This mirrors my experience to a T. When I smoke Escudo I can't help but think of a good cigar.

13. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Actually, I think you're the one that put that thought in my head! :eek:hyeah:

I would say Escudo is what I always wanted a good cigar to taste like!

14. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I simply attack the ropes with a big ol' chef's knife. I slice a two or three inch piece in half lengthwise and then slice nice, thin, half moons which I break down a little more later with my fingers. I have read that some people slice their ropes thinly with cigar cutters and then load the disks into their pipes, but I've never tried that. If you do decide to try a rope, pay close attention to drying it. One you think it's sufficiently dry, then dry it some more.

A plug is really just the starting point for a flake: it's an unsliced flake...or a flake is a sliced plug. So you can slice flakes from it and then do whatever you like with the flakes--rub them out or fold and stuff.

15. Pipenube

Pipenube Member

So basicly its just not finished tobacco it needs cut. I am assuming that roap is a little wet in nature, because of your post. How long does it take on average to get it ready to smoke as far as moisture?

Thanks for the info guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.