Tobacco Galleria Almondine

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I got a free pouch of this stuff with my Peterson St. Paddy #999. I don't much care for full aros, and this stuff sure appears to be pretty sweet and goopy, with an aroma so syrupy sweet and pungent that it just made my dog puke. (Well, not really but poor Buddy is starting to look pretty green around the gills). I'm going to let it dry some and try a bowl later tonight, but I'm not holding out much hope that it will taste like anything other than candy soup. Has anybody tried this stuff?

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I too recieved a pouch of this with an order. I looked at it, then smelled it and immediately threw it in the garbage because I absolutely hated the pouch aroma. You may like it though. God Bless!!! Ray

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I got their vanilla. I smoked a little of it. I -might- try it again once to see if I can keep myself from throwing it away. Maybe I'll start a "this and that" jar :msty:

4. RTOdhner

I left it out to dry for two hours, and am currently trying to hack my way through a bowl of this truly awful stuff. When I first fired it up, it felt like it had singed the hairs inside my nose. I've oft said that I've rarely met a toby I didn't somehow like... well, this is one of them! I've got the rest of the pouch toasting in the oven at 225 degrees, and it's been doing that for 15 minutes. I'm gonna let it toast for another 45 minutes, then I'll let it cool over night. I'm gonna try it again tomorrow, and if it's still this bad then it's gonna meet the trash can.

I can't believe they're selling this crap. Just who's buying it? What in hell were they thinking? Did they even consult any pipe smokers before they dumped this horrendous stuff on the market? The pipe just went out, and I'm not wasting another match on this stuff.

5. RTOdhner

Just how much toby did they add to the polyglycol? So what will you call the "this and that" blend? Embalming Fluid #1? Anything with this much polyglycol could be used by undertakers as a cheap alternative to whatever preservation techniques they're currently using!

6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I need to pass this idea on to a friend of mine. He is the county coroner and does all the embalming for one of the local funeral homes. This could also explain why my neighbor; that passed away a couple of years ago, looked to be 25 while he was actually 137. (He smoked Captain Black and Borkum Riff his entire life).:(

7. RTOdhner

I tried to smoke this stuff on 06/23/11 right out of the pouch, and it was a truly horrible, gnarly, goopy mess. Not wanting to give up on it right away, I baked the stuff for 45 minutes at 225 degrees (F) to dry it out and burn-off the poly glycol, and then I put it in a jar. It has slept undisturbed in that jar since 06/23/11, until I decided to check it out when I got home from work this evening.

It has much improved. The color is a wonderful golden brown, and it is tolerably dry. The tin note is nice for a heavy aromatic, which I normally do not like, and smells like the cookies my grandmother used to bake. (It actually smelled good enough to eat when I had it curing in the oven on the 23rd). It was a bit harsh when I sparked it up this evening, but it mellowed out after a few puffs and became quite tolerable - kind of pleasant, actually.

Everybody in the house likes the room note, and all agree it smells like baking cookies. I not gonna go out and buy any more of this stuff, but I'm not going to toss this free pouch either. I'm going to put it out as my daily smoke until I finish it off, and I'll dedicate this Guildhall pipe that I'm smoking it in to full-on aros.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sounds great , can't wait to try it ! LOL

9. RTOdhner

Don't be in any big hurry, Ruff, because it's still just barely tolerable. Altaidis really should be ashamed of themselves for marketing that sh*t. I put a lot of effort into something that was still just barely smokeable afterward. It was really more of an experiment to see just what it would take to make that sh*t tolerable, and the experiment proved that the stuff really isn't worth the effort. I'm curious as to whom they're marketing this crap they call Tobacco Galleria. Hhhmm, "Galleria" is ValSpeak (yes, I'm dating myself), so maybe they're marketing it to empty-headed little nitwits who will say "Oh...my...God, this toby is just bitchin''! Presbyterian Mixture? Gag me with a spoon, that has, like, tobacco and stuff in it. I'll just smoke this Tobacco Galleria, because it's, like, made from Peruvian llama pubes, melted candy bars, and polyglycol! Boss gourmet stuff that's, like, totally tobacco-free and has a real bitchin' name!"

10. RTOdhner

Seriously, though, it's not quite that bad. It does have some really cheap tobacco in it, but I'm pretty sure that the pubes in question are common Yak pubes and not the more rare Peruvian Purple Llama pubes....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.