Tobacco Picks for a Beginner

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by natek, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natek

natek Member

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking as I got my first pipe about a year ago and have only really gone through one tin. I have two pipes but tend to smoke cigars most of the time I choose to smoke. Essentially I'm looking for some recommendations for a tobacco that is strong and flavorful (I enjoy espresso, black coffee, scotch, maduro cigars, and breakfast tea) and then something more sweet and fragrant (I also enjoy sherry, port, and earl grey tea). To date, I have only tried the CAO Moontrance that I bought with my pipe, and I like it, but want to try some different things. I have heard good things about Orlik Golden Sliced which is enticing because I hear it has a slight bergamot casing (the flavor in earl grey tea and Swedish snus). I will probably end up giving that a try. Also since I love cigars, I think I may also like to try some sort of English blend?

2. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Strong and flavorful...Escudo.

3. muddler

muddler Member

OGS & Escudo are both good ways to go. For an English, try Dunhill 965 or Chelsea Morning with your tea or coffee in the morning. But try a good Va as well - get some McClelland Christmas Cheer - 2013 is very good. For a burley, it's hard to beat Solani Aged Burley Flake.

natek likes this.
  4. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Fr Dempsey Blend from kramerstobaccoshop.com

Read the story about it too!

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Dark Flake Unscented should have you covered.

Bill Dawson likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The skys the limit when youre starting out !

Blends that are easy to light and keep lit would be the way to go at first .

SWRA is an aromatic with nicotine and is about a mindless blend to light and keep lit

Carter Hall is easy to light and keep lit , why do ya think Doug smokes it :beck:

MacBaren Golden Extra [ available in bulk ] is a good Burley intro

PA Soft Vanilla is good Aro that isnt over flavored and is easy goin

Ashton Gold Rush is a fantastic Virginia that has a bit of topnote .. super easy goin

Germains Royal Jersey Perique .. easy to light and go ... a vaper with nicotine

McConnell Scottish Cake .. another Vaper with more Va sweetness than Germains

SWR is easy .. just gravity fill it in a cob and one light tamp and youre good to go .
    It's just regular burley and it's what Men smoke in the morning with coffee

So , theres a few for ya ;)

olddog, natek and SouthBound like this.
  7. Bill Dawson

Bill Dawson Member

Frog Morton on the Town goes great with scotch and bourbon.Try any Frog Morton blend.I also am a cigar smoker,but more of a pipe smoker in the last 6 months.PSF members will steer you in the right direction of your pipe smoking needs.CAO makes great cigars.My take on CAO pipe tobacco very mild almost no stand out flavor.

natek likes this.
  8. jeff394

jeff394 Member

OGS is the way to go. Of course, I'm biased though.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I'd recommend Old Dark Fired as well.

JimInks likes this.
  10. Josh Gillis

Josh Gillis Member

Excellent thread! :th1: I'm not really a newbie, but my experience with tobacco has been limited to house blends from the two local stores I frequent, so I'm looking to expand my horizons.

11. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

as a cigar and coffe guy, FROM a cigar and coffee guy, my crossover point into pipes was dunhill nightcap. look into big english blends, it may be rewarding with your background, having big flavor and texture from the get go. plus, as a newer pipe smoker, the fact that they burn awfully cool and dry make things a lot easier on you in the beginning. from there, try a small ammount of everything. especially anything already listed here, some STELLAR recommendations so far. o)

natek and thedismaltrade like this.
  12. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

OGS is a good Virginia. It has perique, but is nearly undetectable. So much so, it is often argued whether it is there at all.

If you really enjoy cigars, John Patton has some good blends with cigar leaf. Oriental dusk is the closest I have come to a cigar in a pipe and storm front is just heavenly. They are available from 4 Noggins. Enter psf for a 10% forum discount. ;)

olddog and JimInks like this.
  13. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

+1 OGS. Lightly sweet with a mild orange/citrus flavor. It's an excellent smoke. It's also a great flake to fold and stuff so you've got loading options with it as well. It's a 2fer :D

olddog likes this.
  14. rsuninv

rsuninv Member

When I first started I smoked Aro's. Almost have up the hobby. These are my two go to's now: Mississippi River from Seattle Pipe Club and Northwoods from Boswell.

15. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

OGS is a phenomenal flake. It will always be in my rotation. I've also heard good things about Best Brown flake but I have yet to try it.

16. natek

natek Member

Wow! Thanks for all of the recommendations! I really appreciate all of them! With this thread, and some more research I think I am going to get the following: Dunhill My Mixture 965, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe or Frog Morton on the Town (anybody feel strongly about one over the other?), Frog Morton Cellar, and Orlik Golden Sliced. I might also get another strong English such as Nightcap as javajunkie recommended.

Let me know what you all think!

17. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

Don't bother with the 965. It's dead since the Murray production. IMHO. Go with Frog straight up before the Town. Don't bother with OGS unless it's aged for at least a year or two. You like maduro cigars, black coffee, and scotch? G.L Pease Robusto! 965, EMP, and Frog Morton won't be strong enough for you. If Robusto rubs you the wrong way? Go with SH Cognac. I can't say enough about it. Bomb diggadity! It will become the next 'out of stock' blend. IMHO.

natek likes this.
  18. mattia76

mattia76 Member

Marty Pulvers always said when you're new to the game, to try a well-regarded Aromatic, a Virginia and a Latakia blend and narrow things down from there.

With this in mind, my 3 would be
    Aro- Trout Stream (only through Pipesandcigars.com)

Virginia-Anniversary Kake (ditto) or Escudo (pretty much everywhere) be careful with these and smoke SLOW. Sip, really, to get the sweet flavor. It took me a long time to learn this.

Latakia- Frog Morton Cellar

natek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.