Tobacco Pouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobler son

A while back, when I bought my Kaywoodie, I was told by the shop-owner that it came with a bag. It is a velvet bag with vinyl lining and a drawstring closure. I had assumed at the time that it was for the pipe, but lately I've been wondering. Is it a tobacco pouch?

Skylane

If it were a tobacco pouch, I would think it would be lined with something like PVC. I have one that's PVC lined and there's no mistaking that it's made for tobacco.

limpinghawk

It's lined with vinyl, I would use it as a tobacco pouch whether that is its purpose or not.

In fact, I have a leather pouch with draw strings very similar to what you have and it is lined with vinyl also, that is what I use.

I like it, I would rather have a pouch like this, than a more traditional pouch.

limpinghawk

nobler son said:
I'd read that a lot of pouches are lined with vinyl. That's what made me wonder about this one.
I think its a cool looking baccy pouch myself.

I don't drive, I am disabled, and retired so I have an electric bike I use to go to the store etc.,
so I like this type of pouch as I can either tie it to the handlebars, or to my belt.

Dondi

I suppose you would use a pouch like this for one day's supply right?

I mean, wouldn't it dry out if you kept toabacco in there for more than a day or two?

limpinghawk

Dondi said:
I suppose you would use a pouch like this for one day's supply right?

I mean, wouldn't it dry out if you kept toabacco in there for more than a day or two?
I don't even use it for a one days supply, just enough for one, or at the most two bowls full.
I only use it when I go to the store type of thing, not even all day.

I'm retired, and stay home most of the time, so I only need a pouch when I go to the store, so for me it is perfect.

But yes, for more than a days worth of tobacco, this type pouch would not do at all.

NDLanoue

I don't have any tobacco specific pouches, but all of my pipe pouches that have a tobacco compartment are lined with latex. I feel like Vinyl would work as well. Plus, there's no real reason not to do so.

Cobra

The best type of pouch I found was the roll up type. I've tried them all, zippered pouches, fold over with snaps, etc. but the one that keeps it freshest without drying out and you can keep a fair amount of tobacco is the roll up type. This is one place you will spend more to get a good quality leather one, but it is money well spent.:puff:

Deckard

You could pick up a cheap vinyl one in the meantime for $3-4. I've got a few (leather, vinyl, etc.) but I hardly use them. I usually smoke at home and if I'm gonna smoke while I'm out I usually just pack the pipe before I leave and stick it in my breast pocket.

NDLanoue

I've always thought this funnel pouch looked pretty neat (scroll down a bit). I've never tried it, but I'd like to when they have it available again.

Cobra said:
The best type of pouch I found was the roll up type. I've tried them all, zippered pouches, fold over with snaps, etc. but the one that keeps it freshest without drying out and you can keep a fair amount of tobacco is the roll up type. This is one place you will spend more to get a good quality leather one, but it is money well spent.:puff:
You are absolutely right.
I used to smoke a pipe back in the 60's, never took to it that much,
but the only pouch I used then was a roll up.

If I wanted a pouch for all day use I would no doubt get a roll up leather pouch.

jvande7

I have a black leather tobacco pouch with a zipper. It's lined with rubber/vinyl or similar and works really well.

As others have said, it's not meant to hold tobacco for extended periods of time. I usually only use mine for weddings and funerals and things like that. Or on vacation. After a couple days in there, the baccy turns dry as a bone.

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=297

jvande7 said:
I have a black leather tobacco pouch with a zipper. It's lined with rubber/vinyl or similar and works really well.

As others have said, it's not meant to hold tobacco for extended periods of time. I usually only use mine for weddings and funerals and things like that. Or on vacation. After a couple days in there, the baccy turns dry as a bone.

https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=297
Nice looking set up there.
I like the rubber lined pouches, but too expensive for the little bit of time I use a pouch.

A little off topic here: are you a musician?

jvande7

Musician? Kind of. :)

I play acoustic and electric guitar. I can drum a little. Can't sing for :poop: though. Been playing guitars for 10+ years.

jvande7 said:
Musician? Kind of. :)

I play acoustic and electric guitar. I can drum a little. Can't sing for :poop: though. Been playing guitars for 10+ years.
I started taking lessons when I was 7 years old.
Played professionally all my life. (65 now - retired)
Berklee School of Music grad also.

Marc

I use the Luxury Pouch the tobacco comes in or a Ziploc snack bag 6 1/2 x 3 1/4 which are the ideal size for scoop filling your pipe and the Ziploc keeps it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.