Tobacco Shops in New York City

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DanH, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanH

DanH Member

Hey Guys

The brain dead Canadian kid once again, my brother is headed to New York City for a few days he is staying in the time square area, just wondering if there is any close and good tobacco shops in the area?

Thanks,

Dan

2. buistd

buistd Sales Account

De La Concha has a decent selection of pipes and tobaccos, including their own line. It ain't cheap mind you.

WWhermit likes this.
  3. furious

furious Junque collector

De La Concha and Barclay Rex are really the only pipe shops left in Manhattan. Sorry to say as the likes of Connoisseur, Wilke, and Dunhill were the bee's knees at one time. Davidoff is another possibility, but I haven't been there in years and what they do have in terms of pipes is going to be very expensive.

4. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Those days are gone. The rents in this city are too high for businesses like pipeshops. I am told that Nat Sherman has pipes & tobacco, though they are not listed on their site.

5. furious

furious Junque collector

I was going to mention NS but figured that they are better known for cigars and cigarettes than pipes. Those little cigarillos are pretty damn tasty from what I can recall.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was in NYC not too long ago and went to Barkley Rex and Nat Sherman. Both very close to eachother near Grand Central Station. NS was larger and bigger pipe and tobacco selection. Both staffs were pleasant and helpful. Bought some of their blends and am enjoying them.

I was thinking the next time I go to NYC I may just walk the streets with my cob and bring a 2 liter bottle of soda and a Big Gulp cup with me. Just for fun while the wife is in the stores that bore me.....

7. BigG

BigG Member

Barclay Rex - if you like aromatics, their Barclay Slice is fabulous. I liked the Barclay Rum too.

8. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Barclay Rex used to be called Peterson Pipe shop. There was no connection between them and the pipe factory except that they sold Peterson pipes, as well as many others. I worked at the Peterson across from Grand Central Station when I was in high school, in the 50s. Even then most of the business was cigarettes and cigars. They put me on the cash register at 4:30PM when people were going home from work. It was non-stop action. The store was owned by a Mr. Silverman, who also had Peterson stores on Madison Ave & down near City Hall. Does anyone know when the stores changed hands?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.