Tobacco sticking to bottom of jars

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by rlucas, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I looked at my tobacco jars last night and noticed some of the tobacco was stuck to the bottom of the jars. The jars were completely dry when I store the toby. At least to the best of my memory. Why is this and what can I do to prevent it from happening in the future?
    It was not all of the tobacco just a little bit covering the entire bottom.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Where do you store your jars? In an area that experiences temperature changes during the night and day due to our colder weather?

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Pack it less tightly.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  4. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I keep them on a shelf in the living room.
    Most of the jars are only half full.

5. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I have this happen when I order too much tobacco and end up tightly packing it into the jars. It does not hurt the tobacco. I just wait until the level, in the jar, goes down to about 3/4's and I turn the jar over and shake it a few times. Make sure you have good control of the lid! If all of the stuck baccy does not come loose I use a wooden spoon to "stir" it and scrape around the bottom. No problems.

jdto, User3940, rlucas and 1 other person like this.
  6. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

the oils in the leaf will make it stick. even packed partially, the weight of the blend in the jar is enough to create pressure and make it stick.

couple clarifications: what was the blend? how long was it stored? could you actually get it out, or was it firmly glued?

7. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

There is Escudo, McClellands Caramel, Waterloo and a couple others. They have been jarred anywhere from 6 months to over a year. I could get it out and shaking the jar seemed to clean up the bottom.

8. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I've had it happen. It's usually a scattering of flakes and not a portion of the jar. I don't think I pack too tight either. Always figured it was just a matter of the moisture from the tobacco -- and, like you rlucas, a little shaking is all it took to clean up.

rlucas likes this.
  9. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I usually go through my jars every couple of months and rotate them to prevent this very thing.

rlucas and jdto like this.
  10. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I'll have to remember to do this myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.