Tobacco storage jars fail

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KarlMaldenNose, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

I have transferred most of my tobacco from their tins into Mason jars for longterm storage. I think you call them Ball or Bell jars in the U.S. Maybe those are just brand names, but you guys know what I mean. Anyway, most of the blends I've been smoking from the jars lately have obviously suffered significant moisture loss, IMO. I like my 'baccy more on the moist end of the spectrum, that way I can dry it to my specifications. I checked all the lids and they were tight and free of bits of tobacco that might compromise a tight seal. None of the jars are older than June 2012, as that is when I started smoking and cellaring.

Is this a common occurance or do I need to switch brands?

2. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Member

I've never had a problem. Usually if I don't open the jar in a few days I need to pry the lid to break the seal. However I am fairly new to the game so hopefully a more experienced piper can chime in.

3. Morse

Morse Active Member

The first question i would ask is - How full are the jars? I.e. whats the air to tobacco ratio? The more air, the drier the tobacco is going to get - it will eventually reach an equilibrium but if there is a lot of air, every time you open the jar, the tobacco is likely to a dry out a bit more as the jar gets to equilibrium again. For long term cellaring I fill the jars as full as possible. For jars I am using or smoking from, once they get to about 50% full I move the tobacco to a smaller jar.

4. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

That makes sense. Most of the jars are filled only to 50% capacity or less. I wonder if, instead of buying a new batch of smaller jars, keeping my current jars in a sealer container with some sort of humidification device would help.

Morse likes this.
  5. Morse

Morse Active Member

I have used those little humidifier disks with good results

6. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

Yeah, me too. I have a large bail-top jar that I keep all my sample baggies in. I found that they were getting dried out pretty quickly so I threw in one of those little perforated disks with cotton or sponge inside to hold water. Worked great. Works great, I should say. Except that I have to keep refreshing the disk every week or so.

7. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

I have a pretty good bit of tobacco in about 24 or so jars and none of them have been drying out. As said above any time I go to open one I need to pop the seal. Have you noticed this with all of your jars? If not and it's only 1 or 2 maybe replace the lids>??

Shawn

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I use Kerr jars and lids. You can't go wrong with something named Kerr. It's an indisputable fact!

If ya wanna be sure,
    gotta go with a Kerr.

I'll say it again - Kerr!!!! :D

But truthfully, the brand doesn't matter. Morse nailed it - if your jars aren't full, the air inside will make the tobacco a bit drier.

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

It sounds like you're smoking from your storage jars...WTF?!? "Storage" by it's very name means "put it away and leave it alone!" Any time you open a jar, you introduce air....air dries tobacco....don't open! If you want to smoke your tobacco, put it in small jars, like jelly jars or those flat, 6 ounce Ball/Mason jars. Remember...big jars = storage, while small jars are for smoking. They should hold your tobacco fairly moist for a few weeks............

Stonewall and dmkerr like this.
  10. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Hey DM ... what kind of jar was that, again?

jpberg likes this.
  11. dmkerr

Hang on, lemme go check.

DaveyBoy and jpberg like this.
  12. dmkerr

Kerr jars. Yeah, I knew it was something vaguely familiar....

DaveyBoy and ShawnP like this.
  13. bosun

bosun Active Member

I get a pound, I fill up a quart sized jar as much as I can, pushing the tobacco in as much as I can. What doesn't fit in the jar is what I smoke. If I open up the jar I decant it into two smaller jars and smoke them. Ideally if I smoke a fair amount of one tobacco I'll always have some that didn't fit in the jar and keep cellaring the rest..

14. KarlMaldenNose

KarlMaldenNose Member

What you write makes sense. The need for smaller jars for my on-the-go blends is kind of what Morse was getting at: too much air+too little baccy=dry baccy=cranky KarlMaldenNose.

Oddly I'm not having to "pop" or pry the lids when I open the jars. They come off fairly readily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.