Tobacco storage question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Yooperpipesmoker, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yooperpipesmoker

Yooperpipesmoker Member

Hi all,

So this question has been bugging me for a while and never seen or found it discussed.

When putting tobacco in jars, do you gravity fill, pack lightly or compress to get as much into one jar as possible?

Does any process effect the ageing?

What say you?

Matt

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

It's a great question. I wondered about this myself.

So far... and I emphasize this because I only have 3 years of bulk storage experience... all 3 methods have yielded great results. I've heard the various theories about the benefits of all 3 methods and that usually means they all work.

It should be noted that tins are usually packed lightly. I've stored tins for close to 20 years with no ill effects and incredible benefits. I've only purchased bulk in the last 3 but I recently opened a jar of 3 year old Hal O' The Wynd that was packed tightly and it was sublime.

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Slightly compressed works for me..... :thumbsu:

4. briarbrian

briarbrian Member

I put as much as I can in it to leave hardly any air. I dont think it really matters though either way just as long as it doesnt mold on ya.

Brian

5. r0n54

r0n54 Member

+1 for slightly compressed. I don't know the long term effects as I have just started storing in jars,but so far so good!

6. Yooperpipesmoker

Yooperpipesmoker Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I will experiment with some bulk that I have, make notes on the jars and see why happens in a few years!

Matt

7. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I've read several posts that state that one should leave an inch plus of space in the jar, to allow for proper aging to take place...dunno if this is true or not, mind you, as the oldest jars in my cellar have only been there since January...

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've got some jars that have been aging a year. When I fill them, I compress the tobacco as needed to fit what I've got into the jar. Usually the only air space is the neck of the jar. I think compressing the tobacco helps marry the flavors. I can't say for sure where the magic lies, but my kitchen sink blend of Prince Albert's French Vanilla Rum Christmas Cookies was very nice indeed after 6 months. I can't wait to see what it's like next December.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Forgot to mention, the Bayou Slices that is coming your way is from a 2006-vintage tin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.