Tobacco suggestions for a new pipe smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Odin, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odin

Odin Member

I've been smoking a pipe for a couple of months and all I've been smoking is Mac Baren Scottish Blend and Holger Danske Cherry Vanilla. Scottish Blend is good but I'm getting tired of it. Cherry Vanilla I didn't really like at first, but it's grown on me and now I like it a lot. But I can't keep smoking only these two and I'd like some suggestions to other good pipe tobaccos!

2. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

The old classic OTC stuff is always good, and cheap! It's not going to be a transcendental smoking experience, but it's not going to be bad.

If you want to try Virginias, McClelland Blackwoods Flake is about the top of the heap for me. I didn't "get" Virginias the first few times I smoked them though.

Somewhere on here is a list of the top tobaccos in each genre, I can't find it right now but I'm sure someone could chime in with it. You could do worse than trying four-star blends from tobaccoreviews.

3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Instead of suggesting a new tobacco, let me offer some advice that will help you define your tastes and save you some money and time.
    1. Go to the "Newbie Ask an Old Fart" section, and jot down the names of old farts that post lots of helpful advice. I don't mean guys that just have Well-Known Member under their name. Look for guys that have been posting for a long time and smoking for much longer, highly experienced pipemen that appear to know what they're talking about. Try to narrow it down to 3 or 4 names.
    2. Go to their profile pages and read some of their old posts. Look for threads and posts where they recommended their favorite tobaccos. Stick with one or two types of blends to begin with, say virginias and englishes or whatever you've already found to be your preference. List a couple of recommendations from each guy.
    3. Now, start spending your money buying these recommendations. Pay special attention to blends that are recommended by more than one of these "trusted sources", but also try one blend that is specific to each old fart.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 a few times.
    5. Within a few months, you will find that your tastes will be more closely aligned to one of the guys on your list. Concentrate on his recommendations. Try the ones that he has in his regular rotation.
    Pretty soon, you will have a rotation of your own without wasting a lot of cash chasing every recommendation you see that sounds good. Plus, you'll know just who to trade those unwanted blends with, because you chose them straight off of a long-time pipe smoker's "favorites" list.

This method takes a little time to research, but you're probably already obsessed like the rest of us, so it won't seem like work.

Hope that helps. If not, just ignore it. My wife does that all the time, so I won't be offended.

4. snowman

snowman Member

Welcome aboard.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Experiment ... get some 1 oz samples of some various blends . Smoke the entire oz [ unless it taste really bad ] . You're two blends in . Thats cool ... now it's time to play with some new stuff .

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Welcome aboard Odin!

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Some highly reviwed, highly respected blends, (per 'genre')-

VA-Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake, Dunhill Flake, MacClelland's Blackwoods Flake, Cornell and Diehl's Opening Night

VA/Perique(Vaper)-Escudo, Renier's Long Golden Flake, McConnell Scottish Flake

Burley-Solani Aged Burley Flake, Wessex Burley Flake, Cornell and Diehl Burley Flake #2

Premiun VA/Burley mixtures-Stonehaven, Irish Flake.

OTC Burley- Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Five Bros.

Premium Aromatic-Solani Sweet Mystery X, Dan Blue Note.

English-Squadron Leader, Penzance, GL Pease Quiet Nights

Lakeland 'aros'- Gawith & Hoggarth's Ennerdale, Bosun Cut Plug scented.

High nicotine blends-G&H Brown Irish Twist, Tambolaka, Sam Gawith 1792

These are just some of the possibilities. There are others, of course.

James Harr and Rewster66 like this.
  8. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I found the list I was talking about.

prole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.