Tobacco Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Khalifa247, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khalifa247

Khalifa247 Member

Hey all Im new to the forum and fairly new (1-2 years) to smoking a pipe. Im really looking for some tobacco suggestions because I'm getting ready to buy some tobacco I am used to smoking OTC's and some house blend stuff from a local tobacconist. I really do like Prince Albert, I also really like this "nightcap clone" blend my local tobacconist has. I do smoke aromatics a lot, but like I said I also really do like Prince Albert, and most Captain Black blends. Unfortunately that is all I can really tell you about my personal preferences. There is a LOT of tobaccos out there and honestly Ive searched through the forum and looked at websites but nothing is really going to beat personal advice from more seasoned pipe smokers.. So if any of you have any suggestions for my tobacco order Id love to hear them. My only pipes are a MM cob pipe and a Peterson Shannon 150, I am definetly looking for some new staples in my tobacco collection, and I am definetly looking forward to your advice and helping out on this forum in any way I can.. Thanks in advance!

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

If you want some good aro's id suggest Dans Blue Note, Lane 1Q, or Black Cordial, and maybe a good Black Cavendish which is one of my personal favorites.

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

If you like Captain Black, you should give Lane's 1Q a shot. It's a bulk blend that most tobacconists should carry. Also, you might want to look at Boswell's catalog: Northwoods is a great English blend, and there are lots of blends that many people swear by. The Frog Morton blends are good ones, with On the Town being the most popular blend, and your tobacconist may carry that one. Rattray's blends, such as Hal O' the Wind, Old Gowrie, and Red Raparee are usually popular, though I haven't tried any myself.

Like you, I'm largely an OTC smoker: Carter Hall is my old standby. But it's nice to indulge every now and then.

Also, you should buy more cobs. Like, a lot more. :cheers:

4. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nice Fedora!

5. noflex

noflex Member

Orlik Golden Sliced, a great all day smoke. OGS is also a very nice intro to flake, it's a sweet and easy smoke.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Mac Baren Navy Flake is aother classic, McClelland makes some super tobaccos - Frog Morton, Virginia Woods, Grey Havens, British Woods, Tudor Castle, Jubilee, Legends....

If you like the nightcap clone and you like sweeter stuff, I'd say try a tin of Legends. It's pretty nice.

7. Khalifa247

Khalifa247 Member

Thank you guys very much for the suggestions.. Ill go ahead and try a few of these out and maybe after that Ill be better at narrowing down on what I want. Oh I tried some Villiger 1888 I think it was the Late blend.. I enjoyed that, it was so much more complex tasting than anything I had tried before.

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I look at pipe tobaccos as belonging to 'families'.
    If you're looking for something that smells good to females you're looking for a Aromatic.
    If you like the smell of church incense your looking for a Oriental.
    If you like the smell of campfires your looking for a mixture with Latakia.(Balkan/English)
    If you like the smell of fresh mowed hay your looking for a Virginia.
    If you like lots of pepper on your food your looking for a mixture with Perique.
    Aromatic I would suggest- Sunset Breeze by Peterson.
    Orientals I would suggest-Pelican by Butera,Red Rapparee by Rattray,Pipeworks and Wilke #10.
    Balkan/English I would suggest-Balkan Saseini,Squadron Leader by Sam Gawith,Margate by Esoterica
    Virginias I would suggest-#5100 Red Cake by McCelland,Golden Sliced by Orlik.
    Mixtures with Perique-Anniversary Kake by Hearth and Home,Escudo,Old Gowrie by Rattray.
    Be well.

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

That was pretty darn cogent. Nice synopsis, ol'dik.

Why do you make top-posts into separate posts, by the way? Accident? On purpose? New to forums?

11. Khalifa247

Khalifa247 Member

Thanks that was actually very helpful you guys, Im gonna go ahead and knock out most of the stuff that you all suggested. After that I believe I will know what Im looking for and if I have to ask for suggestions Ill have more to base my tastes off of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.