Tobacco to introduce me to Gawith Hoggarth?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Fbones24, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have learned so much being a member of this forum for a very short period of time. Most importantly, I have learned that there is too much tobacco out there and I need to try them all! :hbang:

Anyway, I am looking to acquaint myself with Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. I have never experienced the Lakeland "thing," but I am intrigued and I want to. Is there a specific Gawith blend that would be a good introduction?

I was thinking Kendal's Flake, but would like to hear suggestions. Thanks! :th1:

ATXPipe likes this.

2. Dubh Brack

Dubh Brack Member

Dark Flake Unscented.....:)

Strong tobacco but light as far as the lakeland goes, one of the more unscented varieties that GHCo. offer.

I can send you some if you'd like, has a year or so of age on it though...

OldSouled65 likes this.
  3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I started with Brown Flake unscented. I think it's a great intro to GH. If you try it and like it, try BB#2 next.

Monkey, jpberg, nesta and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Are these "unscented" varieties truly unscented. I guess I am looking to experience that floral/soapiness, maybe just not be blown away by it at first.

5. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I know the "Bosun Cut Plug Unscented" seems rather "scented" to me. Kendal Flake definitely has that Lakeland perfume smell and taste thing going on. Seriously, it smells like old ladies, but don't let that scare you it tastes pretty good, and is made of good quality 'baccy. Neither would be a regular smoke for me, but I'm glad I tried them. :puffy:

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

+1

I started with BB#2 and it's one of my favorites, but at first the flavoring in it was so novel I could taste nothing else.

I have a feeling that the more blends like this one smokes, the less you notice the odd flavor. BB#2 might as well be "unscented" now as far as I'm concerned, I hardly notice it.

Brown Flake unscented has just the tiniest little bitty bit of that flavor to it, but it's seriously in the background and by the time you're halfway through the bowl you probably won't even notice it. BB#2, while lightly applied, does have it in more concentration than the "unscented" blends. I think it's all about novelty, like I said. The more novel these tastes are to you, the more you will notice them. So start with Brown Flake Unscented. If you like it, move on to BB#2. If you like THAT, then smoke anything you can get from them.

Brown Flake is an example of a blend which they call unscented but, like most pipe tobacco, does have a little something extra in the background to "pull it together." In this instance, it's a very light application of the same style as is applied in much greater quantities in other blends they make - rather than something American smokers are more used to experiencing, like a very light cinnamon, cocoa, or liqueur in the background of an OTC burley which by our standards would likely pass for a "natural" blend. The flavor seems to be so unique to us that it really jumps out. After a while, it's comfortable as old jeans.

Now if you just CANT STAND the Brown Flake Unscented, then more heavily scented GH blends are not for you. However, other blends may be - they do make a number of tobaccos totally, 100% free of the floral stuff. They have a few American style aromatics, a "Balkan" blend, some rope tobaccos (I've only had the maple and coconut twist - both lightly flavored but neither floral), and some extremely fine cut, nearly shag cut, tobaccos sans flavoring. One of my all time favorite blends is Kendal Dark, which is a near-shag blend comprising the same leaves as Dark Flake, but 100% unscented, unflavored, and cut to a very fine ribbon providing very reliably easy smoking. Potent stuff, too!

I'm a died-in-the-wool GH fan, and I think that even if you're less fond of "soap" than Pigpen, you can still probably find a tobacco you like from them!
    [​IMG]

7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I love G&H. I like every one I have tried so far...and now I miss the sauce when I have a non sauced blend.

Get a cob to dedicate to Lakeland blends...until you decide to dedicate a briar or two...

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

FB, I'll send you some
    samples as your FOG. ;)

9. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Brown Flake unscented is the only G&H blend that I've tried so far. I like the background flavor that nesta mentioned. It's very pleasant and enjoyable. I don't know what I will think of other G&H blends but having tried Brown Flake unscented I am very excited to find out.

10. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

:banana:Thanks! Glad you were eyeing this thread! :toast:

Snake likes this.
  11. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Best Brown #2. Just been having a message exchange with my trading partner Southbound about the joys of GH tobaccos. BB#2 has a very faint Lakeland essence to it. Almonds and geraniums apparently if memory serves me well. It is beautiful stuff. Louisiana Flake also falls into the light Lakeland essence category. After those two, for a more robust smoke I can recommend Bosun Cut Plug scented (strength and Lakeland) and Dark Flake unscented for a good hearty smoke.

I have smoked pretty much all of the GH flakes and they are all made with excellent quality tobacco. Whether you like the Lakeland element is another matter. It surprises me that GH doesn't get as much love as Samuel Gawith, as whilst I think GH doesn't have anything that hits the notes reached by FVF, their tobaccos are excellent quality and don't suffer from the inconsistent cut and extreme moisture which prevents me from being a SG fan. On top of all this, you can get your hands on GH stuff whenever you want.

One last thing - if you like latakia, I can highly recommend their Balkan Mixture. Really great stuff.

Dondi likes this.
  12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Excellent Suggestion.

13. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

I was gonna make a thread along the same lines. I have yet to try anything from them as well.

14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Best Brown, and American Black and Brown. I have tried some others, but like these two. Some do not care for that floral/soap taste. Thats what makes the Lake Land tobaccos unique. I will admitt some have ghosted my pipe that I tried some various ones in, and GAWD----it took a while before that floral/soapy note was gone.

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I cut my teeth on BB2 and Ennerdale.

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1

17. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Thank you for all the suggestions. Looks like I have some samples on the way from two generous members so I will update this thread once I have smoked them.

18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

You'll have to let me know
    what you get from the other
    party so I don't duplicate.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

I just received my box of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Ennerdale Flake, it is pretty good tobacco. I love the flavor of Erinmore Flake, but to me there is not enough of it there. I don’t know why I do not taste very much flavor in the one tin of Erinmore I have had so far, everyone else says the flavor is strong to almost overpowering to them, I guess I just got the one tin that was weak.

The Ennerdale, to me, taste pretty close to Erinmore, but a little stronger. The jar note is out of this world strong, but is nothing like the flavor I taste when smoked. I am not sure if anyone out there knows of a tobacco that tastes like Erinmore that has more flavor or not. Erinmore does not leave an after taste like Ennerdale does.

All in all Ennerdale Flake is a good tobacco, and I will for sure not let it go to waste. But if you really want to try a Lakeland tobacco this is I believe the strongest flavored.

20. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

Well, thanks to the generosity of another member (ATXPipe), I was able to smoke a bowl of Ennerdale tonight. I'm on the Lakeland wagon....loved this smoke! It burned a little hot, but I tend to do that my first time smoking a blend. :bangin:

My question is, if you smoke Gawith blends regularly, do you dedicate a specific pipe to them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.