Tobacco type investigation

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MakDragon, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was reading another post here somewhere about how B&B's sometimes wont tell you, for whatever reason, what's in their blend because they are just repackaging known bulk tobaccos or worse, pirating established blends and relabeling.
    Then I got to thinking about a recent trip. I found a blend I really enjoyed. I really liked this aro blend! I just didnt think to ask where it came from or what it was. If it is their blend, I can just order more, but if it is just a repackaged bulk, then I wouldnt really know where it came from if they didnt tell me.
    So...... Maybe here at PSF could get a committee together of accomplished "tasters" that could identify unknown tobaccos for us of the less distinguishing palates. Anybody think this is a good idea? Forgive me if it sounds silly.

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Boy that sure would be an "Ask the Experts" kind of committee! I'd love to see what different pallets would find in a blend, but I wonder if you'd get two of the same answer!

3. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I agree, I would like to see if several people got the same blend if they could agree on the flavours.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Back in the olden days, when all you now see was just black plasma and imagination, I used to be able to tell which Lane's blend was which, usually with just a sniff and a look. But shoot, since the dawning of the Industrial Age, Lane's hardly produces any blends anymore and newfangled blenders have emerged.

I'm no "expert". But what the heck, I'm willing to give it a go. Quite frankly, if it's a typical American-style aromatic, the sniff test will probably work better than the taste test. Mak, what did the stuff smell like in the bag/tin/pouch? Anything stand out? Vanilla...hazelnut...peach...chocolate...liverwurst...?

Mark w4mms and sorringowl like this.
  5. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Yes, Mak, please tell us if it smelled like liverwurst! That way we can get our hands on some, as I'm learning, the fouler it smells, the better it tastes! Interesting idea. I have a few mystery house blends myself that I'd like investigated. Cool thread!

MakDragon likes this.
  6. Westham1969

Westham1969 Member

A local small tobacconist near me sells many bulk blends. I purchased a cherry and when inquired about it, was flat out told that they just rename blends of commercial bulk blends. There were also several PS blends in the store not renamed, so it was probably the PS cherry! I must be naive, but I thought these stores blended their own in house!

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont think it will fly being so many here talk so lowly of aros anyway .. Ya know .. Cloying , goopy , hot , no flavor , chemicals / additives etc ... i mean , where would ya find someone that could know an aro to begin with . Rarely , does anyone talk about an aro other than soap flavored .. oh , Lakelands and SWRA , which is awesome ;)

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

You should send the aros to Ruff, he might really know what they are, and send a sample to me too, I will have no clue but I can make stuff up, take some measurements, and make a graph. Ruff and I have started our own tobacco identification service (although I haven't told ruff yet). Actually, I bet there is a lot you could tell from the cut, as to which blending house it might me... -David

Jay likes this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

That might be tough to do. I foolishly attempted to buy my wife some perfume. After 3 sniffs of different fragrances all of them began to smell alike. I suspect baccy's might have the same effect. On the other hand, if we spaced the sampling a day or two apart we might be able to distinguish the subtilties.

10. ruffinogold

LOL , David . I've been meaning to discuss the identification service that I didnt know about with you :th1:

Honestly , I could only identify some . And I agree w/ David that some producers have obvious clues as far as cut and aroma . Lane has an pouch aroma w/ many of their blends that if I smell it [ not knowing whats in the pouch ] I'll know it lane cause it has a " lane aroma " . The cuts and colors in lane blends have a look as well . PS Bulks have another pouch aroma that is more like a German aro but not as dry . Their cuts have a different look as well . I'm now learning Altadis bulk and Sutliff stuff . I couldnt tell what aro blend they would be cause I havent had them enough to bag it [ except for my favorites ] .. but , which producer ... probably

11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Yea, I should have told Ruff first... But I have come up with a preliminary fee schedule.
    It's based on the accuracy of the identification.
    All prices are based on you sending us the tobacco.
    5% - free
    10% - 10$
    20% - 20$
    30% - 30$
    40% - 400$
    50% - 500$
    60% - 1000$
    70% - 3000$
    80% - 8000$
    90% - 9000$
    95% - 10,000%

Prices get higher as more samples are needed, and at above the 70% level all kinds of outside lab tests would be needed.

MakDragon, Ruff and I are having some fun here, but you question is really interesting! I would bet Ruff is right that many could ID the blender quickly. It's very interesting to thing about! When I was making up my pretend pay scale, I was figuring that there are only so many blenders, and there is a price, I don't know what it would be, to buy a sample of each one to keep in a jar as a reference collection. Lab test could ID the blend (at a cost, and assuming all blends were sampled), but sniffing different blends could narrow it down. For the 70% I said 3000$, I suppose for 3000$ we could buy a sample of most bulk offerings (wild guess). Over the 70% level, lab tests would be needed. Interesting topic! -David

12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

:haha:

13. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Absolutely understand the fun! I appreciated the chuckle this morning! Th

I am not a usual aro smoker anymore as I have move to more non-aro blends. Virginias and English blends to be specific. Buuuuuttttt, whilst in Gettysburg this past August, I was in the Gettysburg Cigar Shop and bought a bunch of 2 0z samples of their blends. They named them after the Civil War generals. I REALLY enjoyed the General Longstreet blend. So much so that after I place a call to them shortly to see if they will tell me what the blend is, I plan on buying some and cellaring it.

dwaugh likes this.
  14. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

There is a good chance that if they don't want to divulge what it is, that they would sell you a larger quantity over the phone and ship it to you.

Good luck!

15. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Looking forward to that shipment!

16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

It's a misconception that all "tobacconists" blend their own tobaccos....most of the house blends we see are just repackaged commercial blends. Some shops will mix two or three commercial blends to come up with a house blend, but that's mixing, not blending. Very few pipe & tobacco shops have the room...and time....and expertise to create true house blends.

17. ruffinogold

True . I hear where youre comming from and agree most tobacconist arent producers of any sort really . I think if you were to snoop around some of the smaller producers , youd find that they arent curing everything themselves as well . Not that they would fess up to it , nor should they . I think a producer makes a blend or has a straight cured leaf thats processed to their liking and they sell it . If you take it and mix it into something else , that they could have done as well but didnt , and sell it .... I'm pretty sure it would be a blend . A blend is different tobaccos mixed up ... if someone else did the hard work ... who's the dummy . So , the guys not a pro who mixes somebodys stuff .. but even amateurs with a little luck and time can mix a good blend .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.