Tobacco's influencing your take... on other tobaccos?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CMAsailor, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I find this to be a wonderful part of the pipe smoking experience for me.

For instance, I didn't "get" Rattray's Marlin flake, till I smoked Capstan flake (blue tin).

and most recently, I didn't "get" BCA or anything comparable till I snagged a bag of Smoker's Pride Black Cav... and I "get it" now. I could not get BCA to work till I enjoyed the SPBC.

it can go both ways however, FVF was this awe inspiring smoke till I tried Germain's Brown Flake and now I "get it."

the "get it" factor is probably just me learning how to smoke different tobaccos to their fullest, but every tobacco seems to need a learning curve of it's own to me. and thus, I can't ever come to terms with not liking a particular tobacco, ever. I just assume I don't get it yet, and set it aside for later.

anyone else have a similar feeling about it?

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I was like that with Dunhill Flake. Seemed bland and flat to me, but after a tin of two, it really started to make sense.

Rewster66 likes this.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

One brand really influenced me in a slightly different way. From descriptions and in my ignorance, I was pretty sure I wasn't interested in burley I don't remember the name of the one that I tried. But, the first time I smoked Carter Hall I Knew I was dead wrong about burley. I've tried several since 'getting burley' with Carter Hall and have liked everyone I've tried. English style blends with burley were suddenly very interesting smokes after my first bowl of CH.

Rodfather, Professor and CMAsailor like this.
  4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

If I'm reading the question right - I had to smoke a lot of Nightcap so I could appreciate P&W 400.

Stonewall and CMAsailor like this.
  5. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Dunhill Flake took me a while too, I still have a problem with it in some of my briars, cobs on the other hand really opened it up for me

6. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

I never understood the allure of perique until I had Frog Morton on the Bayou. I credit this blend as the one that really changed my whole outlook on the hobby. Now I am a rabid VaPer fan and am going back to blends that I didn’t care for in the past. These blends that I just didn’t “get” previously are currently blowing my mind!

Pschoppy48 likes this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I had to smoke a lot of aromatics for a year to appreciate how great the non-aromatics really are.

I tried several Burleys my first year of smoking and didn't like any. Some had no taste, some tasted terrible. I tried Solani Aged Burley Flake and loved it. I've gone back and tried some of the others I didn't like and like them all now.

Hamborger Veermaster was my first flake tobacco, and that to which all other Virginias are measured for me.

Stonewall and Rewster66 like this.
  8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Same here Capt., I first thought it was kinda bland but now I love the stuff.:confused:

Capt likes this.
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You were right the first time:booty:

BradNTX, Glenn and cobbsmoker like this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I didn't get Lakeland tobaccos until I tried Condor.

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Is this tobacco really that good? I'm curious now. I see a lot of comments about HV.

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It is nice, but a little too mild for me.
    OT

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Is it comparable to anything I might be familiar with, OT? How was that Cooper Low Country, btw? Any good...

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Others may disagree - but I put it in the OGS category, and yes the 'Low Country' was very nice, and light on the Latakia, which suits me.....much appreciated!:th1:
    OT

Stonewall likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

OGS? Hmm. I like OGS, I was hoping for a little more excitement though with HV. And at $67.00 a pound, not really a bargain for an OGS match.

And anytime, OT. If not for you I would have never discovered, Condor. :th1:

16. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

For me, an interesting wrinkle has been how this works in reverse; some blends that used to be among my favorites I don't particularly care for now. This is certainly true of 1-Q. It used to be my go-to for a night of cocktails on the porch. But over the past year or so I've broadened my tastes a lot. I recently tried to get through a bowl of 1-Q and couldn't because the sweetness of the casing was so overpowering, while I found the cavendish a bit too thin on the tobacco side. I've also found this to be true of a McCranie's Old Master, which is a burley blend I used to really like, but now is more in the take-it-or-leave-it category. The only distinct trend I've had is an increasing preference for Virginias.

But then, a lot of my enjoyment from pipes comes from trying new blends so this isn't really a bad thing.

17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jon, I think you and Todd must have been weaned off the same... :bbaby:

It is my favorite smoke. I don't think it compares to any other blend. OGS is good, but it is not as smooth or flavorful as HV to me. HV folded & stuffed is what I judge all other Virginias by. I like many of the fuller bodied Virginias as well, but HV is just something I never get tired of, and appreciate every time I open a new tin.

CMAsailor, Stonewall and jpberg like this.
  18. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

HV is more like SG NavyFlake than much else on the market to me. different ballpark from OGS. and yes it's that good.

Stonewall and BradNTX like this.
  19. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I'll have to get a hold of some condor then...

20. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well thats one more toby for the cellar wishlist. It's getting rather long. Guess I should work on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.