Tobaccos Likes and dislikes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Damon, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damon

Damon Member

Again I'am just learning here so bear with me on this. I have been trying some samples akohtz gave me, and I can't make a good review of these but I can tell you which ones I like and dislike. Maybe you guys can comment on what you like and dislike about these so I can educate myself on what I am tasting and experiencing in these tobaccos.
    I Like :
    Peterson- Old Dublin
    Dunhill- My Mixture 965
    Altadis- B27 Smooth Black & Gold Cav
    Butera- Pelican

I Dislike:
    Mac Baren- Golden Extra
    William P. Solomon- Presbyterian Mixture
    Cornell & Diehl- 068 Epiphany

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The peterson , Dunhill , Butera and Altadis are all ribbon cuts which are easy to light and keep lit ... the C&D is a ribbon as well , which I believe contains burley

The Presb is a ruffer/coarse cut blend .. and

MacBaren Golden extra is a Ready Rubbed gift from God himself . [ Burley ]

You basicly got 5 English style blends , 3 of which you like
    1 Aromatic that you like
    And one gift from God that you dont

Honestly , being youve rejected a gift from God ... just be happy you like any of it :beck:

All kiddin a side , You're gonna like what ya like . You probably dont care for Burley ... Yet . And it seems yer into Ribbon cut English blends

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

You seem to like zestier orientals/latakias, and cavendish. You don't like milder orientals or sweetish blends. The burley is probably flattening out the 068 too much for you, as it does me.
    And, Presbyterian is just flat out for sissies, so don't feel bad about that.
    I would strongly recommend P&W 400. Its got all the stuff you like, and it's wonderfully put together.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

You don't like MacB Golden Extra?! I'm with Ruff on this one - you have sinned in the eyes of Burleycus, the kinda sorta vengeful god of Pipe Smoking (well, actually, he's just a demigod, really, and he runs the Burley counter up in the celestial B&M when he's not moonlighting at the heavenly Bingo parlor). May he have mercy on your infidel soul! You're lucky in that you mentioned Old Dublin in positive terms, so your smiting may just be a severe wedgie, or some tongue bite, or something...

Snake likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Darren, you like Dunhill 965: That's enough for me to say: TOP MAN :appl:
    And as far as Presbyterian is concerned I'm with you on that one: A rather bland, tasteless mix of.... hmmm.... tobacco??? Well..... it's certainly taxed and priced like it!
    I'm no great fan of Aromatics but there a a few Flakes with a slight casing which you might like:
    Mac Baren Navy Flake
    Torben Dansk #14

6. Damon

Damon Member

Well the burley was a little on the strong flavor side for me but I can re visit it at a later date and see if my palate matures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.