tobaccos to stock

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dubhdarra, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

well, i know OTC's are not going to be something we're offering. i'm mainly concentrating on putting the best sellers from each brand out in tins for right now (subsequent orders will be bulk as well), tracking the sales for a few months and then basing my new purchases off of that and what regulars request. luckily its looking like i can get 90% of the stuff i need from three wholesalers, which works out really well because they're three we've got relationships with already.

its certainly going to be a learning experience either way.

2. Matt

Matt Member

Maybe try a "sample" night, where you would have a number of different offerings from one brand. Have a McClelland night, and a C&D night, etc. and invite the pipe smokers to come in and try some stuff out. Then offer what seems to be popular.

As others said, sticking with the major American companies should keep tins on the shelf at least, and that will be important to returning customers: that they always know they can pick up a tin of whatever at your shop.

Ultimately though, the best thing to do is just to listen to your customers. Let them decide what you'll be offering and then suppliment for the occasional stop in or to expand horizons.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

So the rough lineup is pretty much set now. they probably won't be coming in all at the same time, but i'm planning to put together some kind of launch party for the new tobacco and pipe lines. i'm also thinking about bringing in some new pipes (mainly MM's more interesting shapes, jan pietenpauws and hopefully some guys from this forum if i can get away with it). next spring is when we're going to start really concentrating on pipes, for right now we're gonna figure out what sells, as we've got a ton of european expats in the town where the store is. i'm also looking at doing a peterson's event for next st paddies day, though what exactly that will entail... bugger if i know. any of these that sell particularly well over the next 3-6 months will be upgraded to bulk as well, based on availability.

Mclelland
    Frog morton
    St james woods
    Three oaks Syrian
    Yenidje supreme

C&D
    autumn evening,
    Exhausted Rooster,
    Opening Night,
    Briar Fox,
    daVinci,
    Good Morning

GL PEASE
    Cairo
    Charing cross
    Chelsea Morning
    Key largo
    Union square

Petersons
    Old Dublin
    Irish flake
    Irish whiskey
    Connoisseurs choice
    Sunset breeze

Samuel Gawith
    FVF
    Squadron leader
    St james flake
    Grousemoor

Misc
    Erinmore flake
    Skandinavik full
    Sail regular
    Davidoff English mixture
    OGS

let me know if you see any problems with the lineups (other than the fact i'll be waiting on the gawith for the next five years).
    don't worry, dunhill will be getting stocked, but that's a separate issue for the time being.
    thanks for the help guys, this list wouldn't look anything like this without your input.

4. Matt

Matt Member

That looks great. I might suggest including RRR and GL Pease Odessy for some excellent Oriental/Balkan (whatever they're called) offerings.

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Hmm...perhaps some Davidoff Danish for the Europeans?

But I can't believe there's no Escudo? and egads, no MacBaren Club Blend? https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/startle.gif

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

crap. escudo. i've been meaning to add that for days and forgetting every time. thanks for that.

and the davidoff danish is conspicuously absent from any wholesale lineups, dunno how to get it. we stock the whole mac baren line already though, as well as a lot of stokkebye and lane, so don't worry about that lol.

BTW, what's RRR? i'm spacing on that right now. oddyssey is one of the blends i'm wanting to stock as soon as i prove to my boss this will be a profitable venture.

7. pottsy

pottsy Member

You're missing Jubilee, Jubilee, and oh yeah, Jubilee. Just saying.

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

afaik, RRR = Rattray's Red Rapparree!

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Pease-Westminster, McClellands-Legends,2015,Blackwoods Flake, C&D's Sunday Picnic and Old Joe Krantz. And I think you may need some extra 'Cavendishy' blends for the timid newbies.

10. tigercasual

tigercasual Member

Be sure to let us know when you're up and running. I'll put in an order!

Cheers,
    Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.