Tobaccy for a long drive...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by furious, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furious

furious Active Member

Turns out I will be heading out of town next weekend for some much needed R&R. Will be in the car for about four hours and would like to know what you gentlemen usually take along for such a long drive. I plan on having plenty of tunes to keep me company as well.

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Yeah I just took a 5 hour drive to Arizona to meet some friends and definitely had the tunes primed and ready to go. Its amazing how much good music makes a long drive more desirable. I actually packed a few cigars because I knew I would have the windows down for the most part of the drive and knew the wind might be too much for my pipe. But also brought along my Savinelli Duca Carlo with some Solani Red for the trip and smoked that on the sections of road through the desert that were slower and more scenic. I tell you, cruising over the Hoover Dam as the orange glow of the desert bounced off the rocks while smoking my pipe was so surreal. Like one of those scenes in a movie you dont think ever happens.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

PS Luxury Twist Flake in a Stanwell Sterling billiard, or MB Vanilla Cream Flake in a bent Savinelli Duca Carlo are my current driving companions, but for that long of a trip, I'd go with the LTF, since the Vanilla Cream can get a little bitey if I smoke multiple bowls.

4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I usually smoke cigars on long drives. I'm a pretty reckless driver in my best moments and on the few occasions that I've tried pipe smoking while driving, I've weaved dangerously while tamping or relighting. Don't even get me started on what happened when I was running a cleaner down the stem.

ol gto likes this.
  5. Capt

Capt Active Member

If I'm going on a drive longer than two hours, I will pre-pack 2-3 pipes before I venture out. that way you do not have to try to dangerously pack a bowl while driving. Mine usually consists of Va flakes for long trips.

6. furious

furious Active Member

Definitely will pre-pack 2 pipes and leaning toward FVF for the drive. Will dry and rub out for the trip. I figure that and an easygoing burley blend like CH or SWR Aro should take care of things.

Mark w4mms and Elwin like this.
  7. Capt

Capt Active Member

Furious, if you are going to pre-pack, I would not dry it out first. It's amazing how fast the tobacco will dry in the bowl when it is pre-packed.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

PS LNF. :punk:

Mark w4mms likes this.
  9. furious

furious Active Member

Good point. Thanks, Capt. Guess packing the night before straight out of the jar should be ok even though it's pretty moist. As you can see, I don't do much traveling or pre-loading of pipes. LOL

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Some pipes seem to need a lot of handling and 'attention', I try to select one that will hang in the mouth for long periods - and hardly be aware it's there....if that makes sense!, my Pete bent 305 system is one such pipe - not very big, but with a good VA flake ( Condor, in my case!) simmers for a surprisingly long time!. A clip-on wind cap handles the draught - as I like to have my side window lowered an inch or two.
    OT

telltime likes this.
  11. furious

furious Active Member

Like the clip-on cap idea to handle the breeze. Need to pick up one of those. And yes, I plan on bringing my most comfy clenchers for the trip. Light and easy on the mouth.

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I learned that recently, I was all over the road. I actually got myself nervous. Matches are out of the question too.. at least for me
    :)

13. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Same here, pipes are way to much work for me while driving. I enjoy a tasty bundle cigar on my long daily commute and if it's a long drive (alone) I take a A size Macanudo Prince of Wales, a huge 2 hour plus cigar. :confused:

14. Elwin

Elwin Member

You can't go wrong with Carter Hall.

15. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1!

16. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

With my inability to keep anything lit, my inability to stay focused, combined with a standard transmission, I'm fairly certain I would end up in a ditch..... -David

beaupipe likes this.
  17. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Yes...forgot to mention above that I also drive a stick...one of the many affectations that accompanies a rapidly aging guy trying to hold onto just a little bit of his youth.

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.