Too Wet?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wpdarby, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

So I'm a newbie pipe smoker and I picked up some cheap pipe tobacco at Walgreens. Its a cherry cavendish and I like the taste, but its a bit wet, and when I smoke it in my pipe, it feels like it gets wet. Is this because the tobacco is not dried completely or am I doing something wrong?

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

let some of your tobacco dry out, leave it on a newspaper or whatever you have for 30 minutes or 3 hours depending on how moist it is. Rule of thumb, if it clumps and sticks together when squeezed between your fingers, it may still be too moist.

And welcome to PSF!

J

3. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

Thanks Jay! I'll try that out next time I smoke.

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

Sometimes that Walgreens super bulk in a bag can be real wet, so leave some out tonight and smoke it tomorrow. If it does get too dry it will rehydrate if you throw it back in the bag.

5. wpdarby

wpdarby Member

Ahh good idea. Will do.

6. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

3 hours does most tobaccos... Overnight might be a bit too long.

Of course, If your toby is moist because the blender used humectants (propylene glycol) then it will dry when the statue of liberty grows udders and have milk, if that gives you any idea on how long to leave it out.

But for argument's sake, let's say your tobacco is of decent quality just a little moist, take a sample from it. Something like 5 pipes worth and leave it out on paper for anywhere between 30 minutes and 6 hours.

As another poster said: When it doesn't clump together as readily anymore and feels like it would be a little dry around the edges then you try smoking it again to see.
    Then you know how long to dry the whole shebang later on before putting it away in an airtight jar between smokes. (normally they recommend mason jars of glass, but lemme tell ya a secret: I am using tupperware-style jars with a rubber gasket and a closing mechanism guaranteed to be 100% airtight and they work fine so far. Wouldn't long-term store in them though)

/Jimmy

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

The only tobacco that I EVER dry is flake tobacco,and that's only because it burn without it.I smoke mostly wet aromatics,but never dry,Drying tobacco takes away too much flavor for me.Everyone cant smoke wet tobacco.It takes some time to learn how to pack,light and puff wet tobacco,as well as what pipes smoke good with these tobaccos.Its worth it to me to have tobacco that taste as fresh as the day it was made.I dont think very many blenders intended for the tobacco to be dried first,but maybe so.Find what works for you.Theres no rules set in stone,but Im sure that there will be some to chime in that swears that their way is the only way.Good luck! :crazysmile:

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Most of those discount tobaccos sold by Walgreens (Blenders Choice?) are heavy in PG. Drying helps, but, takes forever.
    My suggestion is to dry it out for a couple of days and then mix it with a fairly neutral burley (Carter Hall or Prince Albert, for example). That seems to improve the burning without burying the taste. Start with a 50/50 mix and vary the amounts from there until you get what you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.
    Dan

9. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Being new, your packing and pace of puffing probably still need some practice too. I know mine does! :eek:hyeah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.