1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

TP System Pipes (Two Piece Threaded Pipes)

Discussion in 'Stems & Stummels' started by tpollock, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpollock

tpollock Member

Hi guys, I started making pipes as a hobby several months back. I recently became disabled due to narcolepsy and was going nuts not being able to work. I love pipes and love looking at all the different designs. Something that has always interested me being a wood worker/amateur machinist was the two piece pipes that have a threaded system to attach the bowl to the base. A friend of mine bought a KleenSmok (no E) pipe and sent me a picture of it. I was totally intrigued by the design of the pipe so I set out to design my own version of one similar. Problem number one and the biggest hurdle was to figure out how to cut threads in wood (which I had never done before) that would hold up and not just chip and break off. The typical means of threading wood would not work because the threads would have to go close to the bottom of the bowl and base and non of the normal means of threading wood would allow you to get that close. The typical threads found on nuts and bolts would not work because the sharp points of the threads would just break off. After a lot of researching I ran across a guy that used live tooling (a router mounted on a metal lathes cross slide) with a thread mill to thread custom made pool cues. Everyone else had told me that this could not be done...they were wrong! I could not find a thread mill the size that I needed for the threading I needed to do, so I made my own from tool steel which to say the least was no easy task. These pipes are so different than a typical pipe that I thought some of you others who make pipes might enjoy seeing them. I don't sell pipes, so I asked permission to make this post thinking that some of you other pipe makers might get some ideas that might be helpful in your pipe making. I've rambled on too much already so here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what I do. I don't want to take up to much forum space posting pictures so I'll post a link to a slide show I have on YouTube that shows the process from start to finished pipe. If I can answer any questions or be of any help to my fellow pipe makers please let me know and thank you for looking!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sillyoldbear and Raffxr7 like this.

2. tpollock

tpollock Member

I forgot to add that the base of the pipe serves two purposes. I works as a calabash to cool the smoke, and a small pinch of tobacco is used in the base to catch any moisture. Here is a picture of my latest pipe.
    Tim
    [​IMG]

Tsalagi44 and sillyoldbear like this.
  3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Wow. You are very creative!

4. tpollock

tpollock Member

Thank you Sir!

sillyoldbear likes this.
  5. tpollock

tpollock Member

Sorry to have posted so many pictures but I wanted to show enough to give the general idea incase anyone wants to see the slide show.
    Here is the link to the slide show which shows the whole process.
    There is also a video on my YouTube page that show much more if you are interested and have about 30 minutes to spare. It's not very good quality as I was trying to run the video camera and concentrate on what I was doing at the same time, but none the less It shows the process.
    Tim

sillyoldbear likes this.
  6. tpollock

tpollock Member

OOOPS! So sorry, I didn't know the actual slide show and not just the link would show up. Administrators Please accept my apologies if this was not ok!!!
    Tim

sillyoldbear likes this.
  7. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

That is truly a work of art :)

Tsalagi44 and tpollock like this.
  8. tpollock

tpollock Member

Thank you Sir. That is very kind!

9. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Hey Tim didnt know you had wandered over here :)

10. tpollock

tpollock Member

Hi brother, Yep I'm branching out.:) Really enjoying being here too! A great group of guys and lots of information. I try to soak up everything I can about pipes!:sh:

11. tpollock

tpollock Member

All of my system pipes are mostly machine made with little shaping having to be done by hand. This is my first attempt at actually hand carving a pipe. It's made from Cherry with an antler shank extension. The chamber is 7/8" x 1 1/2" and it is 1 1/2" OD at the top of the bowl by 6" total length. This one was gifted to a good friend of mine who is also a forum member here... ejames (Ed James). In the first two photos the stem has a camel hump in it which I reheated and worked back out. I hate a stem with a camel hump!!!:xd:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raffxr7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.